Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are we doing this all wrong??? Help needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chrisrandall, Mar 26, 2011.

1. chrisrandall

chrisrandall PetForums Junior

Hello all,

Have only posted a couple of times to show some pics of our 15 week old puppy (springer/cocker cross) as been researching most things via the search function; however we are having a few issues and wanted some advice.

Firstly I will explain the set up and routine we have.

Oscar is taken for a 40 minute walk at 7am Everyday, he then comes to work with me where he has his own room indoors (plenty big enough, approx single bedroom size) and is regulary taken out/played with by me or others from work.

He is then taken on another 40 min walk between 4-5pm

Both walks are mostly off lead, through fields/woods, he runs around plenty.

He has more play and training in the house during the evening in order to try and mentaly tire him out.

He has a sectioned off area in a quiet part of the house where he has his bed/water bowl.

We are getting there with the housetraining and this is not an issue.

During the evening (8pm onwards) we would like him to sit in the lounge with us and relax a little, however no matter what we try he will not calm down.

When he is put in his area, he calms down straight away, and gets into his bed.

We tried putting his bed in the lounge, he wont stay in it and just tries to run around and bite/chew everything.

We have tried putting his lead on and standing on the lead, he just rolls around and will not relax (tried for about 2hrs)

When he is in with us we keep it as calm as possible, dont fuss him etc and have the telly on a reasonable volume level as not to excite him to much.

Any ideas?

Have thought about getting a crate and trying him in that in the lounge????

Just feel like we are excluding him in the evening as he just wont calm down when he is in with us???

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Firstly that's too long to walk a puppy that young. Training more and playing games with him will tire him out faster and reduce stress on his joints.

It seems he's shut away from you a lot of the day. Then suddenly he's allowed in with you in a place he rarely visits. He's very young of course he's going to be excited. At that age they want to be with their family. Sounds like a typical puppy he's only a baby still he's going to bounce around and chew things especially a spaniel.

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Sorry cant offer any advice, but sounds like hes a hyper pup, could be the breed mix?

4. chrisrandall

Hi Nicky,

Thanks for the reply, just a couple of things in relation to your post.

I was under the impression that as long as it wasnt forced/road/lead walking if he seems happy enough 40 mins wouldnt be a problem? We dont cover a massive distance as he has a little wonder around and sniffs everything about 5 times. I would say that we cover no more than a 1 mile each time? perhaps my original post was misleading.

In relation to being shut away alot, I dont feel that this is the case.

From 6.30am he is out with me in the house, then we go out for his walk etc. He then travels with me to work and spends no more than about an hour at a time with out either me or a work mate taking him out into the grounds for a sniff/wee etc for about 15 minutes at a time.

I realise that it is not ideal to not have him with me all of the time but I have to work.

Then when we return home he is taken out again, has his food in his area and is then back out in the house with me whilst i potter around sorting dinner etc.

We then do abit of trainimg/play and then try and settle him down with us for the evening.

:)

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

The only thing I can say is he's a young spaniel puppy even adults are generally a bit mad and high energy. He'll settle down as he grows up but it's normal puppy behaviour especially as he's with his humans somewhere he's not really used to.

6. chrisrandall

thanks for the info nicky :)

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Some dogs hate the 'forced settle' and will thrash/roll about at being restrained.

I think getting him a crate might work.

But I would leave it set up in the space you want it and leave it open for at least a week and just ignore it, pretend like its just a regular part of the house.

After this, feed him in there with the door open and also occasionally hide a tasty treat or throw a biscuit or fave toy in there to encourage him that the crate is a nice place to be.

Once he is happy to go in on his own accord, you can add a command, so say crate or whatever when he enters it and then treat him.
    Then start shutting the door while he is eating and open it again just as he finishes, then gradually leave it closed for longer.

Never open the crate if he is whining (unless you think he should need a loo break in which case, put him on lead, take him for a wee and then straight back into the crate.... which will also start teaching him to ask to go to the loo).

You will then be able to have him in the room with you, he could have a bone in his crate in the evenings and after a while you will find you dont even need to shut him in to settle down :)

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Pups often tend to have a witching hour in the evening, both mine did funnily enough, and I have heard a lot of people say it too. They also can get very hyped up and dont know when to quit, the more they have stimulation the more hyped up they get. They can also get over tired and have to be put in a position where they will wind down and sleep, which it does sound like he is content to do once in his own area.

Maybe a happy medium would be a crate in the living room with you. After he has had his evening play and interaction. If you set up his crate with the door open and his bed in there first. You can encourage him to go in and settle with maybe getting a few interesting chews and toys. A kong is a good one, solid hard rubber that you stuff with food, You could keep back a bit of his daily allowance and stuff it with some wet food, some kibble and a few extra interesting goodies like bits of chicken or ham and give it to him as a bit of supper, if you pack it really tight and wedge it in with small biscuits like bixcox or gravy bones, they have to work at it to get it out. otherwise get him some chews, chewings a great destresser for dogs and they can take out any fraustration on the chew. That should hopefully give him something to do and keep him occupied. Mine always have chews at night after the evening meal, and after a good chew, usually drop off to sleep.

All worth a try anyway to see if it does help.

9. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I think he will learn to settle indoors as he gets a little older, dim the lights slightly and encourage him to lay with you and they do grow into it!

I also would be careful about the amount of exercise he has, although i think off lead exercise is not as bad as pavement pounding, the general rule is roughly 5 mins per month of age twice a day, so you want to be a little careful not to give them so much stamina for when they are older.

My two english springers have between 45 mins and an hour twice a day, and occasionally for special walks a bit longer, we play and train a little indoors and they settle with a bone/toy and sleep for the rest of the time.

The relaxing has grown steadily as they have got older.

Good luck they are lovely dogs!

10. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

It sounds like he is just to excited to be around you in the living room :D Bless.

I am not sure what to advise but we got our girl as a rescue at 10 months and it took around 5 weeks before we could have her lying in the living room relaxing with us.

Sounds like a fantastic puppy full of bounce :D

11. chrisrandall

thank you all for your ideas and information. Some good tips there and I will give a few of them a go :)

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

definitely sounds like normal puppy behaviour! they always choose to have a mad hour in the evening just as you are looking for them to settle. this will gradually disappear though.

though i never had this problem with kody, as he has always been a lazy beggar who just wants to sit on my knee all night.

but skye and bailey definitely were mental pups!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice