Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are vet's "milking" it ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pointermum, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Do you think vets are increasing their costs due to pet insurance ?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Not sure

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Another thread got me thinking so:

Do you think vets are now increasing costs of their treatment because of pet insurance ?

I personally think they do "milk" it these days, as when my mum's dog got ill she got charged a lower rate for a few things when the insurance wouldn't cover it. My worry with them increasing the cost is ultimately the insurance companies are passing the cost on to everyone with pet insurance , sometimes doubling premiums after a year with no claims, making the cost too high for a lot of people :(

2. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

We've had our prices hiked again and again, it's a worry because unless you can set by thousands of pounds for each pet- and who on earth can do that? It's the only way. We've paid thousands in insurance by now, and have claimed around 3,000 perhaps, all in- it doesn't balance out in the long run it really is just for security.

Because we need it, we're all being shafted for it.

3. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

When Harley was poorly and had to have an op, the vets were throwing food at us as we were insured and they knew they would be claiming everything back on the insurance! Just a shame when the claim came back and the insurance company refused to pay for 2 bags of the food :cursing:

4. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Could the person who voted no, give their reasons ? :)

When i phoned Argos to cancel the renewal they said their cost had gone up 300% that's why they doubled my premium. Are vet's over heads increasing that much ? I do understand they have business rates, gas electric and so on to pay for ....my vet must be struggling with the Rolex on his arm ;)

5. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

They always ask before they give you a quote 'do you have insurance?'

Which leads me to believe, they increase it for insurance customers.

6. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I'm not sure. I know not all vets are milking it. Some are genuinely there for their clients and patients. As with all things I guess. I've not really used my insurance. I've always said unless it's over £300 (as thats as high OH and I can go) then we won't use the insurance. Thats there as a back up for us.

7. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

When i signed up to my vets , one of the first questions was are they insured and with who :rolleyes:

My mum's bill for on-going consultations after her insurance run out said reduced rate on the receipt. Which i'm sort of glad they do help those who are struggling with the vets bills but at who's cost ...ours no theirs i bet :rolleyes:

I do believe their are some genuine non money grabbing vets left, i was soo shocked at how reasonable springerpetes bill was when he posted it, but i can assure you for the same treatment at my vets it would be over 3-4 times as much.

8. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

YES! Not all of them though. My old vets are horrendous and were always wanting to know if you were nsured and with who. Their prices were sky high.

I go to another vets now, they don't ask have very resonable prices and aare lovely with the animals to boot.

My old vets had a 2 tier structure for prices ( I know a vet nurse there ;)) So it undoubtedly does happen. They woud also do sneaky things on your bill if you were insured IE charge you for a full bottles (large ;)) of a drug and only admister one dose- ok you may say the rest may go to waste, but why then if you pay yourself do you only pay for one dose? Its on common things too like oral metacam. You can't tell me they would not use the rest of the bottle in date :rolleyes:

9. terrierist

terrierist PetForums Senior

when I hadmy horse, I experienced vet care when insured, and without (due to illness being excluded). My Vet asked if we had insurance to begin with, and the answer was yes.....no holds barred, best of treatment, everything you could throw at a lame horse, she got it.
    a few years go by and we have a flare up of the same condition (now excluded). This time round, my vet was careful what he suggested treatment wise, and was conscious of helping me tokeep costs low.

Was he ripping me off first time round? No, of course not - he was taking advnatage of all the treatment that was available to try to get my horse sound. By the second flare up, it was about doing what we could.

If anyone feels their vet is misusing their insurance, then I guess they ought to look at getting a vet whom they trust.

nb I had detailed invoices in each case, so I could see any treatment given 2nd time round was still the same price as what we had when insured. All that differed was the range of treatments..less obviosuly 2nd timeround.

10. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I really dont know but we are cancelling our dogs insurance now, we're paying £22 a month per dog and even with previous dogs have never actually used it so its a waste really...
    And we've got the money to be able to pay out if they ever needed anything anyway so I dont see the point in giving money to the insurance companies :)

11. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I have no idea, as ours rarely see a vet! But when diesel had his ops on his paw they never asked if we were insured, just gave us a price and we coughed up the dosh

im just fuming at the fact that they can charge over £50 for euthenasia! thats with the dog going home! As if it isnt difficult enough they still charge a stupid price for it

12. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

Agreed about the euthanasia. I felt quite ripped off TBH. I know they have a job to do , but mine was about £75 for a cat. How much does and overdose of anesthetic actually cost? Its such a sad heart breaking time the money seemed to add insult to injury. Its the last helping hand a vet can give your pet, its a shame they can't be a bit more compasionate on the price too ( I too took the body home straight away and had to pay on to for a consult fee so about £100 for the PTS!)

13. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

The only time i've seen the vet other than vaccinations and neutering is when Enzo scratched his eye, the first vet missed the scratch but gave us conjunctives drops so when i went back for check up (should be free) the other vet did the dye test again and spotted the scratch but said the treatments the same it just needs longer so go away come back in a week , so i got charged for that visit :rolleyes: Thankfully all was fine by the 3rd visit.

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

A poster on here recently said how the quote by the vet was reduced from £1,300 to £750 when she said she wasn't insured so they must be raking it in through insurance.

I recently paid £86 for a consultation and a 100ml bottle of Metacam. So that Metacam cost me £50 because the consultation is £30. How can he charge that when it's just £10 on here?
    Metacam Oral Suspension Dogs

He knows Kali is insured and even if I bought a prescription off of him that's around £20 just for him to write it :mad: there should be some kind of regulation for vet charges because while they are stumping up their costs we are paying exorbitant insurance premiums. Kali's and Marty's are £132 per month and Flynns is about to rise to £79. With Flynn I don't mind it rising because of his hip replacement costs but Kali and Marty haven't had many claims and are only seven years old - expected it to rise drastically at eight.

My vet has been worth his weight in gold when Flynn was poorly and we'd be lost without them but they really should tow the line a bit with charges because while they are raking in a fantastic wage our pets will soon not be able to be afforded treatment - which surely defeats the object of being a vet in the first place!

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I must be very lucky but I don't believe that either of the vets that Kilo has been registered with have 'milked it' at all.

Apart from for vaccinations I saw the first vet for Kilo's clicking stifle and an eye infection. The vet charged only £5 for the stifle follow - up and the eye drops he needed for the second problem were billed without a prescription charge. Wormers were as cheap as online. The vet that I used to ask to see used to talk to me for a long time about raw feeding, behaviour etc and print research articles off for me or give me links - all free of charge.

The second vet I have only been to to buy wormers (again as cheap as online) and vaccinations. The KC vaccination cost £23 today which isn't any more expensive than last year.

I don't know whether it is because both vets that I have used have been in rural areas and predominately large animal practises where their clientele are not wealthy and their animals are very often their livelihoods rather than pets? I do feel like some vets are shrewd business people and pitch to their market.

16. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I don't believe our vets are milking it either. I think they want to offer the best possible service they can for my dogs and I'm happy to pay - I want the best for them.

Euthanasia costs; there is skill involved in this procedure, a LOT skill and time, not forgetting the nurses either, so personally, again, I'd pay what ever was asked if I knew the entire procedure was carried out with dignity and care and not just rushed through. Each time I have taken my dogs to the vets for this procedure I have always felt as if my vets have taken as much care of them then, (and me) as they did when they were treating them for any illnesses they had.

I've seen vets put dogs to sleep "quickly" shall we say, and yes, it's efficiently but the vet just didn't have the time to spend on each dog, there was no "kindness" for want of a better word although they definitely did care about the hundreds of dogs they euthanised regularly.

But on the whole, I think if anyone thinks their vet is ripping them off, I'd be looking around for another surgery, one where I can trust the surgeons 100% - for everything.

Just my two-penneth.;)

17. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I have heard of one vet who once said to someone with an insured dog "how much money have we got to play with?" so he could mess about trying different tests etc!

Our previous vets took the mick big time & treated me like i was dumb if i ever questioned anything, i even got one of my dogs neutered because they told me he had carpal valgus which was hereditary and later found out that they actually have to x-ray to diagnose that and they were wrong anyway as his legs are fine and quite normal for the breed!

Our current vets are brill though, they talk through everything with me like i know exactly what they are talking about (although it could be because they know where i work) as oppose to treating me like some idiot, i can ring up whenever if im unsure about something & they will give me advice over the phone no problem unlike the previous vets who used to answer with "well we really need to see him/her to know"

18. apricot

apricot PetForums Member

My insurance for 2 dogs is about £20 monthly. I only pay for vet fees as I'll never need all the other things.
    We should be able to buy safe simple pet medicines over-the-counter. We don't go to the doctor with a stomach upset or a pulled muscle and wouldn't be charged £88 if we did. Pets are neglected or given unsuitable human medicines because it costs so much to see the vet for very minor conditions.

19. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

The one i use are also a large animal practice, you say £23 for KC vaccination that is a rip off compared to what it must cost them. Here is the price of a clinic held in a large pet store about 9 miles away

Yet mine cost £37 for the booster and £23.20 for KC

Enzo's castration cost me £70 buy driving 12miles away at my vets it would have been £180ish. How can there be such a gap :confused: Shame the over vets is soo far away otherwise i would call them my vets.

20. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

While I think Flynns hip replacements were good value for money at £5,600 each (everything included) I think £500 for three x ray plates that Kali had in July is a bit steep.

I mean there's a lot of difference in a world class surgeon doing an op like Flynns to your average vet setting up a dog under an already existing, fully paid for x ray machine. Those x rays were naff anyway and she had them re done last week, a much better, clearer image all round. Don't know what that's going to cost as my vet goes straight through the insurance but as Flynns constipation and manual evacuation cost over £300 a couple of years back with a light anaesthetic, I reckon around £600 at the very least!

I could have cleared Flynns then problem with a couple of tins of peaches and a few surprise suppositories :eek: and if I'd had to pay up front at the time likely would have had to try it too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice