Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are toy breeds known to carry high/ribs space?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by ItsFluffy, Feb 6, 2021.

1. ItsFluffy

ItsFluffy PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm a new member which has been lurking (along with a similar site - but they don't seem as polite, so here I am).

I've used my doppler from day 46 and identified 3 separate heartbeats after feeling movements which are too, visible in her belly and side of ribcage.
    I had my bitch scanned at 48 days - advised it would be hard to count as pups will be bigger so space is taken but all went well, equal healthy size (no suspected runts), full skeleton and organs and estimated to be due a day earlier. During the scan, she confirmed 3 but "saw something in the distance, possibly 4" with no clarification so said "minimum of 3" and didn't scan further than her uterus area. In the feedback she stated "2 in one horn and 1 in another equal spacing". This may be a silly question, but can pups move their sacs around the uterus [explaining the rib movements] or is there a chance of a higher pup?

She comes from a self-whelping line, so we're hoping for the same with little stress as possible and being uncertain in case of another pup being in there makes me uneasy. Would you suggest an xray for a second opinion of certainty?

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

What breed is she. I wouldn't recommend xrays. I'd say leave her be now to get on with the rest of her pregnancy.

ItsFluffy likes this.
  3. ItsFluffy

ItsFluffy PetForums Newbie

She's Pug.
    Okay, thank you! I don't want to cause stress for her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice