Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

are these early signs of pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by dmari26, May 16, 2010.

1. dmari26

dmari26 PetForums Newbie

i have asked this question on another site and was just abused and called an irresponsible owner. looking through threads on her you seem helpfull and friendly so here goes! i have a 2 yo husky bitch. 2 weeks ago towards the end of her heat she was in my garden as normal when a neighbours labrador paid her a visit. i didnt know he was in my garden till i heard her making alot of noise. when i got out they were tied together and stayed like it for 20 mins or so. im not sure if she is pregnant or not. she is a very loving dog by nature but does seem less energetic than normal. her nipples are very pink and slightly bigger than normal (i tghink, never really took much notice) and her vulva is still slightly swollen. could this be a sign or pregnancy? she will be 14 days from when the lab caught her. i will be taking her to the vets in a few weeks to be scanned so that i know for sure and can get arrangements in place for if she is. thanx in advance

2. Shamen

Shamen Guest

take her to the vets for the mismate jab , labs are bigger in build than a husky you are putting at high risk of whelping complications.

3. Shamen

Shamen Guest

and if a lab got into your garden then your fences arnt high enough, i believe the recommended hight for a husky is 6ft plus!

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I agree with this :)

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Completely agree, a mismate is far better for your bitch than putting her through an unwanted, and unplanned pregnancy. If you haven't got the health testing in place with either parents, you have no idea what status the dogs are you're breeding from. It is unfortunate that there are complications during pregnancy and whelping, and they can be fatal to pups, mother or both, so the mismate is really the safest and best option for your girl. Don't try and equate a bitch having pups to human emotions, it really isn't the same, and not something they need to do.

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

In rescue we currently can't give away Lab crosses or Husky types. Definately agree mismate jab for the girls health and your sanity cos likely you'll be stuck with a house full of puppies you can't sell.

7. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I have to agree with the others take her to the vets for a mismate - you still have time at 14 days.

In addition, never leave an inseason bitch in the garden unattended it is irresponsible to do so for exactly the reasons you now find yourself in. I'm sure you were naive about it but I suspect that is why you got the replies you did on the other forum.

The responsible thing now would be to get the mismate jab and don't leave it a few weeks, get her there asap.

#7 rocco33, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice