Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are There Any Whippet Breeders Out There???

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lerato, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Lerato

Lerato PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Im looking to find a good Whippet breeder, im living in Lincoln but willing to travel quite a bit if needed. In an ideal world we would be hoping for any possible litters at the start of the year, so that we can get proper time off work to spend with a new puppy.

If anyone here has any info please help.

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

3. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

How far would you be willing to travel?

If Leeds isn't too far I can put you in touch with a lovely breeder who is expecting a litter soon.

4. Lerato

Lerato PetForums Newbie

Thats not too far at all...any information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. xx

5. Lerato

Lerato PetForums Newbie

Hi if it is possible could you send me the information to my email address? in case it isn't on here, its kirstyramm@hotmail.com

Cheers,
    x

6. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I've sent you a mail :thumbsup:

7. eugene

eugene PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm looking for a whippet and just wondering apart from champdogs is there any other website I can refer to; or any other reputable breeder?

Thanks.

8. Sarahferret

Sarahferret PetForums Senior

You are best off contacting the breed council and asking them to refer you. Even better, don't rush your decision, go out and meet different whippet people and types of whippets. Think what you might want to do with it, and find a good recommended breeder from personal recommendation.

Right now you might think you only want a whippet as a pet. You'll be surprised how many people do that then later decide they'd like to show/race/course/work etc and generally the whippets that excel in these activities are quite different to each other.

I really recommend at least going to a couple of shows and races and seeing what they are about, and chatting to the owners. You will then be a lot better placed finding the right breeder.

I would also say, be very wary about blue puppies. As it is currently the most 'desirable' colour amongst pet owners, most are bred by the less ethical breeders who only do it for the money.

And I say all that as someone who bought a blue puppy, having not gone out and seen the different kinds of whippets out there, or met the decent people in the breed, and so learnt the hard way!

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Can I just say blue may be a desirable colour but not all blues are bred by unethical breeders who only do it for money there are a lot of people who breed blues to the standard and to type dogs that both race and show.

I personally know someone who owns blue stud dogs and she is very particular about who uses her dogs to breed. She also helps the bitch own to find homes for pups and any that have to be rehomed later in life. Her dogs are all proven in not only the show ring but also in racing and coursing and although she doesn't work them all are very capable of and do catch rabbits.

Blue is more common in racing and working lines more so than the show lines and is often sold for high prices as a rare colour it is not rare it is the dilute of black.

10. Sarahferret

Sarahferret PetForums Senior

Freya, I agree there ARE good breeders of blues out there, but a person new to the breed would probably struggle to work out which ones they are, which is why I said to be wary, it was just a note of caution rather than a total dismissal!

11. eugene

eugene PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Speaking about colour, I understand that it is not an essential thing to have, but I personally would prefer a classic fawn or fawn/parti-white. Is there anything wrong to limit oneself with colour as part of the considering factor? To be honest my main concern would be about the temperament first followed by the health and breed line. Please correct me if I should be looking at another way.

E.

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If I am looking to buy a whippet I always look for the temperament first I would like a whippet that has the look at me factor wants to be noticed and thinks everyone should be paying it attention. I would be looking for something that would do well in the show ring. Then I would be looking at the blood lines and health issues but to be honest whippets are a relatively healthy breed with no required health checks although some breeders are now testing for hearts (can't spell it's proper name). A survey was done a few years ago by one of the breed clubs which showed the biggest killer in whippets was old age.

Colour I wouldn't be too bothered about everyone has their preferences I prefer brindles or black brindles with a small amount of white but should someone offer me a nice black show bred boy I would definitley make room for him.:D

This boy is my dream dog I would love to own him in fact nearly did but he grew to big for the ring. I do actually own his brindle sister.

Attached Files:

13. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

We picked our whippy based on his personality, it was chance that he was blue and white.

We picked the breeder because she is KC Registered, on the Whippet Archives, she gives out a contract confirming assistance with any problems for the life of the dog. We were welcome to visit loads, we met the dogs parents and his grandma as well as littermates and it also appealed that they had cats - as we do also and wanted our dog to have met and being used to them being sighthounds.

14. eugene

eugene PetForums Newbie

Hi abby,

you made a good point about choosing a whippet also based on the support that a breeder can provide. that is one of the things that will really assure pet owners during this journey of homing a whippet (or any pet). thanks.

e.

15. eugene

eugene PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

it's been a while and I'm still looking for a whippet.

e.

16. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hi Eugene, did you go and look at any, where abouts are you,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice