Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are the tubes on a HH ok for mice?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by purple_x, Apr 24, 2011.

1. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

I will be moving my syrian out of his HH next week as I am moving him into a zoo zone 2 having spent a fortune on new natural looking things, I hope he likes it! I copied ideas from pics on the german hamster forum, their hammy cages are amazing.

Anyway 2 of my mice need moving out of their cage as they are only in a savic cambridge atm.
    So I will be moving them into the HH. Would the tubes and the penthouse be ok for them to use though?
    Would they be able to climb the little bits of tube? I know mice can and do climb but I've only seen them do it when they have somthing to cling onto, not sure if there little feet can grip the inside of the tubes. I hope so coz it will mean more room for them to play.

Thanks for reading. x

2. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Not sure I'm afraid - it might depend on the mice. I know my elderly ones couldn't manage it but one youngster was an escape artist so I decided not to chance the penthouse! I would think that they could, given that my escaped mouse climbed a computer desk to hide next to the mouse :S

3. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Random thought - why not cable tidy one of the vertical tubes to their existing cage to see if they can use it. If they can then you will be able to attach it to the HH for them before they move in :)

4. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

I took them out when I had mice in mine, it wasn't so much the tubes as the plastic house on top. My mice would have chewed out of that in one night.

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I think they probably would get out of the penthouse but you could have the tubes but have them going back into the cage instead of to the penthouse. I would have thought they could climb them okay though cos of the ridges in them. Are mice okay with the bar spacing on the hamster heaven?

6. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies.
    And zany toon that's a good idea about trying them with the tube, I'll do that and see how they go. If they cant climb it then I will just use the tubes as an underground tunnel for them in the cage.
    That way I can take the penthouse off and put it in my hammies new cage coz he likes sleeping in it.
    Def no penthouse for the mice though if they can escape from it.

7. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

Ah yes I was also just wondering about the bar spacing on the HH for mice but the 2 other members say they had theirs in them and were ok.
    I wonder if I would need to mesh it just in case.

8. ceretrea

If your mice are less then 21-22g you would need to mesh it otherwise its fine. 1cm bar spacing but if you do detach the tubes just check the hole blockers are sat in properly. My girls got out twice before I saw them walk merrily out of the gap. If they are sat in properly then its fine.

As far as tubes go, my gilrs have always had problems climbing straight up, they prefer an angle as hammies grip with the pads of their fingers whereas mice grip with their claws. The upward part of the HH isn't too long though so its probably nerves at being in a new cage?

9. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

I had the same problem as ceretrea when I tried to block off the holes in the HH and ended up using a little mesh instead of the savic stoppers. Lyle kept managing to get out but since blocking it with mesh I've had 6 living in it for about a year now. If you aren't sure if your mice can get through the bars, do you have one of the hamster playpens? Put a couple of the sections in their existing cage if you do - if they start climbing in and out the bars you know that the HH will be escapable! If you end up using the tubes in the base as a toy instead they usually go down well - but beware if you have a mouse that likes to chew. Mine are trying to chew the connectors off and I'll soon need to replace them all :lol: Seems that the connectors are very tasty!!

#9 zany_toon, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

None of my mice really chew anything. Well they like the wooden stuff I have for them and chew that but not anything they're not supposed to :D

That's another thing I needed to know, where do I get the blockers from? Can I buy them online?

I will be putting a playpen panel and a small tube in their cage tonight to see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice :)

11. ceretrea

The blockers come with the cage.

Replacements from Equine canine Feline, or used to be. They sell tubes too, they call them ferplast x-part if I remember right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice