Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are springer spaniels suitable pets if you work?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Susannah Mc, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Susannah Mc

Susannah Mc PetForums Newbie

hello, I am new to the forum and thinking of having an English Springer Spaniel - a 10 week old puppy. We are ready for the work and the commitment to the breed characteristics but have a question about working away from the house. By 13 weeks we will need to leave the house on some days for work and need to leave the pup for around 3 hour blocks with a sitter / walker visiting for an hour between blocks. Some days we work from home. Is this realistic? Is this fair for this breed of dog over its lifespan? Should we be looking for another breed?(wanting a perky intellegent dog who enjoys being active pet). Thanks, Susannah

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think you should look for a less demanding breed.

Maybe one of the companion breeds rather than a working one.

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

How many 3 hour blocks is the puppy expected to be alone for?

What sort of Springer Spaniel is it - show line or working line? the latter is very different to the former. If it's a working line one then I'd potentially consider a breed that is more 'low key' if the dog is just destined to be a pet.

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I coudn't agree more !
    Have you considered rehoming a retired Greyhound, wonderful pets and happy to snooze between walks and food.

#4 SusieRainbow, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Sounds like the OP wants a dog that is more high energy outside than a retired greyhound?

It's hard to think what would be suitable as companion breeds do love to have someone around most of the day.
    My Tibetan is active outdoors but will sleep for hours indoors but they aren't recommended for people who work long hours as they really do like people about.

A working springer is out of the question for you, OP.

I don't know enough about the show type spaniels to say if that could work.

Susannah Mc likes this.
  6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

100% NO

Susannah Mc likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think it depends on how much time you are going to devote to your dog in the mornings and evenings, before and after work. When I had trials bred border collies I worked all day 5 days a week and the dogs were left from day one. They got a long walk every morning before work, a long walk when I got home, training classes a couple of evenings a week. A 20 minute walk last thing at night. Longer walks at weekends plus obedience shows most weekends. Holidays were always dog friendly walking holidays. So the dogs were quite happy being left alone when I was at work. Most people with dogs have to go to work so it is totally unrealistic to say you cannot have a working breed without knowing what you will be doing with it.

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I know what you are saying @Blitz but the OP specifically states she wants an active 'pet'

So, maybe wrongly, i answered on the basis that the dog is not to be purchased with the intention of being worked.

A few questions for the OP to answer here . . .

Blitz likes this.
  9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

All fit, healthy dogs are 'active'.
    I think it's more a question of some breeds needing more enrichment than others, and some need a lot more effort because of things like hunting instinct or prey drive.
    Sometimes in a working household there just isn't enough hours in the day.
    I'm not saying not to get any dog, cos I work and also have a happy dog; just think hard about what breeds are really likely to adapt to your lifestyle.

Animalfan, Susannah Mc and tabelmabel like this.
  10. Susannah Mc

11. Susannah Mc

Very helpful Linda - thanks

12. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Have you considered maybe looking at a rescue? A good rescue centre would be able to take into account your lifestyle and what you are hoping to get from being a dog owner, and match you with a dog that would suit you perfectly. Not all dogs in rescue are there because of issues or bad behaviour, they often end up in rescue through no fault of their own at all, for example people who can't find accommodation that will take their pet etc. And they're not all older dogs either, if it was a pup you were wanting in particular, there are often pups and very young dogs needing decent homes. Good rescue centres also offer very good support after you take the dog home, and you can call on them for help and advice with any problems or concerns you have with your dog for the rest of its life.

I'm very much for rescuing, can you tell!:D:D:D

Teddy-dog and tabelmabel like this.
  13. Pabby1980

Pabby1980 Banned

Definitely not. And I agree with the above, all breeds can be active but some just cannot sit still and need constant attention.

My Staffordshire will walk for 3 hours no problem, but is also happy to sleep 18 hours a day.

I'd start with the characteristics you require and look for dogs on that basis rather than trying to make a dog you like the look of fit your agenda.

14. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

If its only left for three hours he should be fine, but when a young pup shorter but more frequent visits would be better.

Being alone for three hours is a lot better than most dogs get, including my own some days.

Working and show Springer are virtually different breeds, I don't know of any show ones near me but the workers vary in temperament from hyper to laid back. Choose your breeder carefully, they will be happy to show you their own dogs and advise you of health test etc

15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I have boxers and they can manage being left but are also quite active. Maximum I leave is four hours but I have a puppy now so it's a lot less. I've drafted in dog walker step daughter and neighbor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice