Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are SBTs a deterrent?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Oblada, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I know Ive heard some people saying that sometimes others cross the street when they see a SBT...

In my eyes there is nothing softer on earth than an SBT :D oki, they may not be great with dogs but with people they are the best :D
    And when I look at my boy, especially as he is still very slender, I cant help but fail to understand how people could actually be impressed in any way by him (except by how gorgeous he is LOL:001_tt2:)..

So do you think people are actually afraid of SBT? Are you?

Last night OH and I went to the pier/beach nearby and parked at the end of a lonely road..as we were walking back, OH spotted a gang of youths looming around our car and so he hurried his pace whilst I kepy my boy on the lead and followed...apparently when they saw him (OH) he heard one of the guys say sth like "its a lone guy I dont mind taking him on"..by the time I came, with Diego, they were all back in THEIR car and had stopped their cocky behaviour and we drove off without further incident...:rolleyes:

Also - do you think your dog would become aggressive if you were attacked? I am not too sure with my boy, hes soooo soft he may lick them to death lol but then if we were actually threatened..dunno...wouldnt necessarily want to test it though ;)

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I don't see SBT's as a deterent at all. Total people lovers as far as I'm concerned.
    However, I find I am cautious when I meet one if I have my dogs with me, probably more cautious than when I meet other breeds - right or wrong, from personal experience.

3. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I'm not scared of SBT's but I know from a single glance which ones are soft and which aren't, most of the ones I've met though are really soft and gorgeous dogs.

My dog is also really soft, so I wouldn't know what he'd do if I was attacked.

4. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

I think they are deffinatly, Staffies do have a reputation and an element of "fear" about them. Afterall they are also often used with youths who want a "status dog", to look scary. Although i am not syaing they are nasty dogs, as the Staffies ive meet have all been softies, i am just talking about there reputation and image.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I'm not scared of SBT's, I'm scared of the status they hold.. sometimes.

If I look at a staff with a family he looks happy and soft. But if I look at a staff with a bunch of neds he is on a chain and looks mean. It's not the breed I am scared of.. Just the way some morons choose to bring theirs up.

I have met many lovely staffi's, one called Trooper who was Huge! But he loved nothing more than getting his tummy tickled. But have also met some mean ones.. Like before I moved round the corner's staffs were called spike and tyson. You couldn't go near them.

x

6. borderer

borderer Guest

i havea staff and a mastiff they would and have defended me:)

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I am not afraid of SBTs. I have owned one and there is a man where I live with one so soft that it is never on a lead. You will always see him bouncing about with a brick or a log three times its size in his mouth :)

8. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Not the SBT its self, but more the person holding the end of the lead would make me cross to another side of the road....

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'm not scared of the dog it would be a little toy thing yapping at the end of the lead would make me walk away. It's more the handler that would make me uneasy I prefer big dogs.

10. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Not bothered by them in the slightest, I have a cross Staff x French Bulldog, she's as soft as butter. I think there are other breeds out there that are far more intimidating :)

Would my dogs defend me, yes they would.

Last year just before I fell ill, I was just about to pull out of a petrol garage and my car stalled with my Bordeaux and Bulldog sitting in the back, well the idiot behind me decided he couldn't wait and proceeded to get out of his car walk up to me whilst I was sat in mine trying to start it, my window was wound down he put his face in mine trying to push his head through the window, without realising the dogs were in the back ( red mist I am afraid gets to many, he didn't notice the dogs :D )
    He cr@pped himself when both my dogs proceeded to try and jump in the front, he fell backwards onto the petrol pumps, oh hum, thats what happens when you are bloke and you try and intimidate a woman, you never know she might have two big scary dogs in the back :D
    I tried not to laught at the time, was hard I laugh more about it now.

11. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Not scared of the breed, scared of how they are raised as mentioned. If one looks a bit dominant/aggressive i would cross the road, although only if i had my dog/s with me.
    I love staffies complete softies!
    Not too sure about them with two of my dogs about, only cos chester and bess aren't friendly with dogs they don't know and if a fight broke out the staffy would easily damage my two.
    My dogs would definitley defended me, and have defended me, when me and my brother or me and mum have a lil play fight bess growls and nips, and would bite if the "fight" progressed. Chester bit my brothers bum when he wrestled me to the ground :eek: :eek:
    All my other dogs would protect too, i only know properly how chess and bess would actaully react though :D

#11 Patterdale_lover, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  12. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

For me its perhaps more a judgement about the person at the end of the lead, rather than just the breed. Although i guess some people wouldn't look as intimadating with a little yorkie for example, so i guess SBT's are a deterrent in a way.

I don't have a negative view of the breed as the ones friends owned were nice dogs and I wouldn't cross the road just to avoid someone walking a staffy.

There's been people that have crossed the road or picked up there little dogs up to pass us, because i have greyhounds. My dogs are fine with little dogs, although if you do muzzle then people avoid you even more :rolleyes: which makes me laugh as they are then less of a threat than an un-muzzled dog :confused:.

13. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I'm not afraid of them I own two :p

Are they a deterrant - Difficult one,for those that know the breed no they are not,they are useless at been a guard dog and mine will treat strangers like long lost pals they haven't seen in years!

Some people don't like the breed,but then that's true of all different breeds.

It's a shame the breed has a negative reputation brought around by the few numpties that own them, the press and media hype.People have commented to us on various occasions,after meeting mine that they are not the Devil Dogs the media make them out to be.

I was questioned by my family when we had our first SBT,I explained about the breed etc and they were fairly happy after meeting our dogs etc.

My previous bitch with pups even let my Dad go into her when she had pups and let him pick them up etc,he was amazed.

14. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I am not scared of SBTs. The only breed I am a bit scared of is GSD but only because I saw my(very stupid) friend get bitten by one.

I know 3 SBTs. My friend has one and she lives a few doors from me and she is gorgeous and as soft as a brush. Her owner says that she is a rubbish guard dog and would probably open the door for a burgler. My friends mum has the sister of my friends and again is a big softy. The 3rd one is owned by my old work collegue and he is lovely and treated like a king. He also wouldn't say boo to a goose.

I think it is more the owner that the problem lies with. It brought up in that way then any breed of dog can be agressive.

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I'm not scared of staffies as a breed as others have said its more the preson who is at the other end of the lead. If I have my dogs with me I do tend to give them a wide berth

Not long after we had my show greyhound William I was walking him late at night. A man was coming towards us. I felt William tense up he was growling quietly under his breathe. I went of the path I was walking along onto the pavement by the road the man did the same. He started running towards us. William's hackles went up his ears pricked and he growled. The man crossed the road he was talking on his phone to someone and I don't thik he saw us until lhe heard William growl.

Yes I do believe William would have had a go at him if he thought the man was going to threaten me.

2hounds I have 2 greyhounds a show bred male and an ex racer bitch. People cross the road if they see me walking them whether they are muzzled or not.

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ime not scared of them, ive never owned one but have met loads, and to be honest there are a lot more breeds i would rather cross the road to avoid., and not the breeds you would think, sbt's have had too much bad press over the years caused by getting into the wrong hands.. . . . . shame:mad:

17. animallover111

We have a very small 6 month old SBT,she is fantastic with people and other dogs(we have 2 other dogs and two children)sadly we have found people very negative towards us since having Poppy,people cross the road from us and will avoid us.People we have known and often walked our dogs with no longer come near since getting Poppy,we have had strangers tell us Poppy should be muzzled!! :mad: ask if she is a dangerous dog :mad: people pick their children up when we walk past even though Poppy is under control :mad:
    Whilst we have had lots of negativity from ignorant people we have also found nicer people who love Poppy she has lots of friends where we walk if anyone is not so nice we simply ignore them but we will chat to anyone who asks about poppy.
    At times we have been made to feel bad and question Poppy but now we know she is a fab dog and so is the breed if in good hands :D

18. haeveymolly

I dont think people are particularly ignorant just ignorant of the breed, years back or when my children were little i would have done the same thing avoid them, pick up the children as i didnt know the breed only what they had been protrayed as. Knowing the breed now dont think there is a breed more friendly.

19. animallover111

your right i agree with you.we also have a sharpei he is a huge mass of wrinkles and looks like a big soft teddy bear now with him we have a totally different reaction with him we cant walk anywhere without been stopped,young children often come over to stroke him and the parents show no concern.My children have been brought up around dogs but they are aways carefull around other dogs regardless of the breed.We have had silly remarks made towards Poppy we have found people now look down their nose at us not just strangers but other dog owners.We are more than happy to chat to anyone about any of our dogs but i feel i should no longer have to justify myself or Poppy simply because of her breed.

20. haeveymolly

I walk regualarly with my springers and often see a walker with a german shepherd, huge dog he is the softest thing ever but have to admit he does look intimidating purely down to his size and he is avoided/looked down on i also have a friend with a sweet looking cocker and no way would she tolerate a child or adult she doesnt know to touch her she would take their hand off, she has to walk her with a lot more care than the gsd owner because no one will come up and pet him but they constantly come up tho pet ruby because she "looks sweet".
    So i do understand where you are coming from all the negativity must be so hard to take.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice