Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are my kittens old enough to reproduce?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mazzyruss, Dec 14, 2007.

1. mazzyruss

mazzyruss PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have two kittens, brother and sister. They are 4 and a half months old and the male has started mounting his sister. I've phoned lots of vets and the youngest I can have them neutered is 5 and a half to 6 months. Are they capable of reproducing at this age or is it just 'practising'? The only advice the vet could give me is to keep them apart - not very practical.

2. Hi Muzzy!
    It depends on what the breed is? Some of them ( females) could be capable to get pregnant at 5 months. Considering that you/ve got a very close related kittens - its better not to risk as kittens from such as mating could be brain damaged or something else....and you will be facing a very hard decision to PTS them. Most Vets do early neutering to stray cats. If your vet will refuse - tell him that there many others who will; plus - the boy kitten is easies to neuter at this age (at least one of them will be done.)

3. Lintama

Lintama PetForums Junior

I would insist your vet has your female spayed now. They can do it although they migh be reluctant. I know it can be done as young as 14 weeks. If your vet won't do it, find another that will. Also get your boy done at the same time.

4. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

There are reasons why vets won't spay this early. The kitten is growing at a very fast rate at this age and it is also very risky to put such a young animal under anaesthetic... I would rather keep mine apart than risk this although I agree it will be difficult.

5. may

may PetForums VIP

I have a girl age 17 weeks and she is having her first call :eek:
    YES 17 WEEKS :rolleyes: Siamese are oversexed :rolleyes::D:D

6. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

As others have said it depends on the breed,although it is unlikely she would get pregnant it's not impossible as i myself know of a 5 1/2mth old male getting a girl pregnant. Also it could be stressing your girl as well as him getting frustrated which could and usually does lead to other problems, spraying and aggravation, which would not be good for you or them as it could damage/change a really good tempered cat into an aggressive cat brought about through fear,annoyance, bullying etc. So if it were me i would definitely have them neutered:)

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Personally I would go get the boy fixed as Elena said earlier its a much less intrusive procedure for males. If you plan on keeping them indoors I wouldnt get the female fixed either but thats just my personal view.

Im all for neutering in the right circumstances, I have a female cat who is neutered because shes an outdoor cat but I wont get my boy done as I know he will never be let outside and therefore feel its uneccesary.

8. Lintama

Lintama PetForums Junior

OMG! Kittykat you are in for a shock. :eek: Keeping an entire male indoors is definitely madness. I presume he is only a kitten as present. Once his hormones kick in, he will almost certainly start spraying everywhere and unless your sense of smell is non-existant, your house will stink and you will never get rid of the smell from carpets, floorboards, etc. no matter how much you clean.
    Why on earth also would you not neuter a female.:confused: Would you be prepared to put up with the howling and screeching from her when she is in season? She will 'call' almost constantly for about a week so you would have to have very good ear muffs and what about the neighbours!! It is positively wrong to keep her entire and not mate her. It is stressful for her to call on a regular basis and not be mated. Neutering any pet cat is by far the kindest thing you can do for them. They become much more content and happy without hormones raging through their body.:)

Kay73 likes this.
  9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Ok I expected this.

First my girl was an indoor cat for well over a year before I neutered her, she never "wailed" to go out, was quite content. She is an outdoor/indoor cat now.

I had a male who is no longer with us but the vet told me to get him neutered as well as health reasons (if he was allowed outside) - he would also not roam too far.
    Well I took the advice and since the op he left home and I didnt see him again for 3 months!!! I thought he had an accident but over the next year he would resort to this pattern of behaviour. I would not see him for a few weeks at a time.

I have unfortunately smelt a cat spraying and yes it is the most horrid smell I could imagine and IF my indoor boy started spraying then I would get him done but if that doesnt happen then I wouldnt just for the sake of it.

You cant generalise about cats, I am sure this has happened to yourself or people you know but every cat is not the same. I have had 7 so far (only 2 now though sadly) and I have never had any of these problems.

10. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

The problem is that once other cats start spraying around your cats territory,thats just what it becomes a territoral/dominance battle. This can for varied reasons lead the most well behaved boy/girl to react as this is how as a general rule of thumb cats assert their rank:)All cats imho are not all the same, however they are first and foremost cats(no matter how domesticated we tell ourselves they are-it's they who have trained us:eek:) and their are as we know are basic elements of behaviour that naturally follow suit but in the interest and well being of your cat/kitts if your not going to breed and don't want any unnecessary "problems/kitts" the earlier, the better, otherwise the longer you leave it and any spraying, upset,aggrevation will at some point occur as the cats get older and then gets neutered, they still may behave as if entire from memory:)Which is frustrating and confusing for them and not very nice for yours and their home:)

Kay73 likes this.
  11. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

wow thats something:eek:

12. Lintama

Lintama PetForums Junior

Well said Esined. I thought I had said enough in my post but perhaps Kittykat does need this explained to her.
    There are a couple of books that are worth reading -
    Vicky Halls - Cat Confidential and also her new book Cat Detective. I have both of these and they are very good at explaining how cats behave and why they do what they do. Perhaps Kittykat could read these. It may change her mind about not neutering.

13. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I have read and own both of these books and I still stand by what I believe. If I encounter any problems due to him being entire then I would get him neutered.

Vicky Halls also feels that cats shouldnt be exclusively kept indoors and although I enjoy her books I have my own opinion.

14. SavannahKitten

SavannahKitten PetForums Senior

Late in, but I thought I would add that I have a 14 WEEK old kitten and she's already presenting!

15. Kay73

Kay73 PetForums VIP

prevention is better, ive had my cats neuterd, i wouldn't want my boy spraying!

16. binxycat

binxycat PetForums Member

My tiny little cat Tiggy has been spayed today at the age of approx 5 1/2 months. She was a rescue kitten so we were'nt exactly sure of her age but I don't think she had come into season yet (going by the information gained on this forum). The vet checked her first and suspected that she may have been pregnant already which was rather surprising as she hasn't been out of the house, our two others are neutered and the dog certainly wouldn't have allowed an extra cat in!!. However even if there had been any doubt that she may have been expecting I would still have gone ahead with the op (rightly or wrongly) because I would have been frightened to death for her - She's so very small and just a baby still herself. By the way for a cat that's just had an op she's exteremely lively, I just had to stop her going up the curtains!!!

17. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

My old boy was neutered at a very young age (I adoped him and use the same vets so they have his full history). I did have an entire male that was about 3 before he was neutered, he never strayed, never sprayed and when he went in his tray even his pee didn't smell - dunno why, I got him done when he had an accident with his back leg and had to have his leg set in plaster, the vet 'did' him for free! My female cat was in season when she was spayed (both my other cats were seen to so she was safe). All of my cats have been neutered, my latest cat (we've had him for 6 or so years now) was rescued, he stank of tom spray, he was confined until he was well enough for his operation (RSPCA and the CPL paid for him to have tests as he'd had a unfixed broken pelvis, and his neutering as well as blood tests for the usual as he was a stray that I'd taken in as he was so poorly). If you aren't going to breed from them then you should neuter them theres enough unwanted kittens in the rescue centres as it is.

18. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Also un spayed girls tend to wee on your beds and sofas aswell!!!I had my boy done at 5 months old with no probs,speak to another vet.

19. Laloba

Laloba PetForums Newbie

We routinely have any male cats in our litters, who are not going to be used in our breeding program, neutered at the age of 3 months. Having it done this early, it is before they begin spraying, since once they do, they will continue to. This is probably what happened to your male who wasn't neutered until he was a year old. It's also very possible that there is a person living nearby who thinks your male is 'their' cat, and is feeding him, and letting him in, while he's away from you that long.
    If people would be more open to having their cats (and dogs) spayed or neutered, unless they will be intentionally bred, there would be far less precious little animals used in medical testing, or humanely (hopefully) put 'down' by animal control agencies.
    Please remember that if you're looking for a kitten or puppy, to always check at your nearby shelter for one, unless you want a specific breed. If you know what breed you want, please do not buy from pet stores, but go to a reputable and responsible breeder. Honest, the prices can be much less from breeders who often are looking for good homes for the little ones (and sometimes adults). Believe me, we have a few purebred Burmese currently, that if I could find them a good home, I would *give* them to people. They won't be used for breeding, they're already trained and their personalities are developed, but they will (I've seen this) adopt a new owner willingly, and be just as affectionate as if they had been gotten when they were kittens.
    BTW, all of our cats are strictly indoor cats, and will in fact, avoid open doors.:)

20. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

You may be interested to know, Lintama, that I have four entire boys permanently indoors in their own rooms. Out of the four only ONE boy sprays and yes it is possible to keep on top of that with cleaning and general hygiene practices. Also I am pleased to confirm that my house does not 'stink', not just on my say so but that of family and other visitors :D:D:D:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice