Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are my cats playing or fighting?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Mariamousmummy, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Mariamousmummy

Mariamousmummy PetForums Junior

I have 2 neutered female sisters. They sometimes "play fight" but I'm not sure if it's playing or actually fighting? How do I tell? And how to stop it?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It's fighting if there is hissing, spitting and growling - actual cat fights can be very violent but it's usually more posturing and threatening with fluffed up fair and 'swearing'
    Kitten fights can look bad and one kitten may end up squealing but then come back for more. So long as one of your girls isn't bullying her sister I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    You can use Feliway, Felifriends or something similar if you think things need calming down

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Mariamousmummy, as I recall your girls are now aged about 11 months old? So they are at the stage of moving from kitten-hood to adolescence or young adulthood. At that age they are still usually very playful with each other and as Lynn says ^^ as long as the playfights are instigated by both girls and it's not one girl always picking on the other, they should be fine. If one kitty wants to stop the playfight does the other kitty allow her to stop?

Do they make any noises when they playfight, and if so, how would you describe the noises?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice