Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are me and my family too busy for a dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LottieLab, Jan 2, 2012.

1. LottieLab

LottieLab PetForums Senior

Hi! I'd really love a dog,more than anything! I also KNOW for sure that I'd be a great owner because many people have said so and I've looked after a lot of dogs for other people before. Unfortunately, my dad says our family is too busy right now. Here is our situation:
    Me- leave for school at 8:35, come home at 3:40 on weekdays.
    Big brother- school from 7:30-4:15 on weekdays.
    Mom- works from 1:15-8:05 on tuesdays and Thursdays (except for book club which is every thursday until 10:00). She also works every other Saturday from 9:45- 1:00.
    Dad- runs his own model aeroplane business on the computer by himself! Busy all day long, but could take the dog to the post office witth him every afternoon.

So, there's our schedule! Maybe you might think we're not too busy for a dog after all, but others might think otherwise.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

It's not how we think that matters. It's what your parents think

3. Catz1

Catz1 PetForums VIP

If you are living with your parents and they think the family is to busy then you will have to respect that. There is no rush to get a pup, you can always wait until you finish school and have your own home before you get one.
    I wasn't allowed my own dog while I lived with my family. I wanted one desperately but they felt the timing wasn't right and when I look back on it now as an adult I can see they were right. A dog is a huge amount of work and your parents probably aren't up for it right now.
    That being said you could always volunteer at a shelter on the weekends or offer to walk your neighbours dogs. Its not exactly the same but you get to enjoy all the pleasurable activities that come with owning a dog without all the work and your helping out a needy pooch!
    I know it might seem like a long wait but the time will come when you are ready and set up to own a puppy :D

4. LottieLab

Ok, thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, there aren't any nearby shelters where I live:frown2:. But my grandma's neighbour has a bouncy little jack russell which I sometimes walk. That's less than once a month though. Nevermind, I'm sure one of my mates would'nt mind if I helped them with their dogs. Anyway, thanks for all the advice and I'll try to be patient for the next 5 years until I finish school:p:eek:!

5. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how old you are but as you're still at school then I think you need to respect the decision your parents have made, there are many responsibilities that come with owning a dog...looking after a dog sometimes gives you a bit of an idea but doesn't really come close to the hard work involved when you are the actual owner.

They are much like children and will take up a big amount of your time, you have to do the bad bits aswell as having the good times, cleaning up poo/wee until the dog it house trained plus getting up during the night until it can go through until morning, learning to live with it chewing up your possessions, talking it out for a walk in the cold, rain and wind...the list is endless but basically your dog comes before you and what you want or what you feel like doing takes second place.

Then there is the financial side of things, the vets bills for vaccinations, chipping etc plus any unexpected illness, the food isn't cheap when you actually add it all up, all the bits and pieces a dog needs too...bed, lead, collar, toys, flea treatments etc

I'm just trying to explain the realities so I'm sorry if sound like I'm giving you a lecture, I'm really not....your obvious love for dogs is to be applauded and I'm sure you will probably make a great dog owner one day when the time is right :)

6. LottieLab

Thank you for the advice! It doesn't seem like you're lecturing me, besides. Well, I have actually walked the jack russel (Moto) at 4:00 in the morning and through snow/rain/heavy wind/hail and everything else while staying with his owner! So, I can pretty much handle early hours and the weather. As for financial issues, a couple of other family members have said they would help. And my age, well I'll be finishing primary school this september, so i guess I probably should 'respect my parent's' decisions:rolleyes:! Sorry for contradicting you, but I do agree that owning a dog will be quite different from part-time looking after one.:thumbup1:rr

7. LottieLab

Oh, sorry! I'm not trying to purposefully alter anybody's opinions if that's what it seems like! Sorry!:eek:

8. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Unfortunately it is always upto the head of the household to make the final decision on whether to get a dog or not... and in this case it is your parents!

But atleast you have plenty of time to research your perfect dog and even plan your career path to suit your choosen dog :D like maybe become a vet or work from home etc !

In the mean time, just enjoy what chances you get to help care for other dogs, like Moto and maybe keep a look out for other people who might have a managable dog for you to help look after!
    There might be a breeder near by for example who would appreciate the help of cleaning out the kennels, or even a stable who has a yard dog who needs a good groom!
    You could also use any money you make from such small jobs to go toward your doggie fund for when you get your own home :D

9. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

I was 14 when we got murphy , and none of my family even like dogs and it probably shouldn't of happened as he was only for me (now everyone loves him though and i barely get a look in :skep:)
    . I think as long as the dog is not alone for too long and you are willing to put a lot of hard work in it could work (obviously I don't know your situation enough to fully say)

Something I found was reading all about dogs and walking other peoples dogs is completely different to having your own , its very challenging but very rewarding , you can't go out for the day as a family unless the dog can go too and things like that .... I'd suggest sitting the family down and having a serious chat to see if you think it could work!

Good luck :)

missnaomi likes this.
  10. LottieLab

Again, thank you! Everybody who's posted seems to have the same general advice with some extra tips:
    . Not ready for a dog yet
    . Respect parent's decisions
    . Help out with other dogs
    . Spend some time thinking about having a dog
    Thank you so much to everybody who's posted, this list is just to sum up everything that's been posted. Maybe another person is asking the same question as i was so this list may sum up everything in short.:biggrin:

11. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

Another thing that you will need to really consider is when you are a little older .... will you decide to go to University ??? .... Or if you go to college will you education hours be longer ?? ......

I unfortunately know a woman who bought her 16 year old a dog for her birthday (as a way of trying to keep the daughter at home and bribe her) ... of course the daughter did go off to University and for a while the poor dog was almost put out into another home because the woman didnt really want it. It was only the son that kept the dog in the house by taking on the responsibility for it .... goodness knows what will happen to the poor thing when he heads off to Uni next year :(

BTW my husband and I did try our hardest to persuade them not to get the pup but she was never going to listen to us ...... we could see all of this would happen. :mad5::mad5::mad5::mad: As it is we no longer speak with that horrible woman :thumbup1:

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You sound very sensible for your age and I am sure you could look after a dog very well most of the time. But if your parents dont want a dog then that is their choice. Unfortunately you will not always be there. You will go to friends for sleep overs, you will go away on school trips, you will want evenings out as you get older. And then you will leave home and go to uni or whatever and your dog will still be needing the same attention and your parents will not be wanting to do it.

I was given a puppy of my own when I was 14 but it was a family decision, I never asked or expected it. I looked after her myself but my older sister was home with a baby during the day so could look after her in the day. But think about it, I left home at 17 to work (came home at weekends) so my dog was only 3 when I 'dumped' her with my mother, who then had to take full responsibility for her. It might seem a long time till your life will change like that but it is still in your dogs lifetime.

13. LottieLab

ok, thank you! i don't have any plans to go to uni/college and i'm aiming to be an author so I will hopefully work from home. but you're right, things don't always work out how you plan them!:cool:

14. LottieLab

I'd be really happy if someone could come up with anything that might persuade my dad to say yes:thumbup::blush:

15. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I think you sound very sensible but what do you plan on doing for the next 10-15 years? Uni? Moving into rented accom? (difficult with a doggie in tow). If it was a family dog then all well and good, so you need to get the family on board!
    Being a writer takes time, you can not just sit at home claiming to be an author, you wont make any cash!!

#15 Lexiedhb, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  16. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I was 11 when my parents gave in and got me the dog I'd been asking for since I could talk. 18 months later we got another, again because I wanted him.

My parents were happy to have the dogs and take on the financial side of things but they were adamant that Shadow and Wolf were my responsibility and made damn sure I knew it and did what had to be done even though it meant making sacrifices. And I can tell you now that that sucked as a teenager. I could go out with my friends but I had to feed and walk both dogs first. Then I had to be home at half past 9 to take them for their last walk of the day. I couldn't go to sleepovers or anything because that meant the dogs wouldn't get fed or walked. I couldn't stay out late at parties because again the dogs wouldn't be walked. I had to be up early at weekend to take the dogs out before going shopping with friends. Even at 18 or 19 I was still having to go home early to take care of my dogs while my friends were out till all hours having fun. These things may not matter to you right now, they didn't to me either at your age, but give it 5 years and you might feel very differently ;)

I know now that my parents did the right thing and I'm glad they did it but I sure as hell resented them for it as a teenager! Shadow came with me when I moved out at 19, Wolf went to live with my uncle for various reasons.

I would honestly say wait to get a dog until you're older. Especially if you'd be the one taking care of all its needs. I don't regret having my two as a teen but I know I missed out on a lot of things because I had them and at the time it sometimes felt like the end of the world :blush:

17. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

It's not so much that you are too busy it's more that you aren't there. A walk to the PO now and again isn't enough, sorry.

18. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

Unless your father wants a dog then no amount of persuasive wording will make this the right time to add a dog to your family. Even if you plan on taking the dog with you when you move there your dog will still have to be a family pet for a few years, and if your father is reluctant (especially as he'll be the one spending most of the day with the dog) then that's pretty much it.

Given your age it really does have to be a family affair, it is easy for those who did not want the dog and feel forced into getting a dog to feel hard done by - especially if they end up being the primary caregiver (which usually becomes the duty of the one at home most of the time; e.g. your father).

The only sort of persuasion that could be done is to appeal to reasons why he would want a dog - for the family, for you, for him. But even then if he does not believe now is the right time for a dog (or if he just does not want a dog) then use the time you have between now and getting settled into life post-university age to look into dog ownership to prepare yourself for the dog you long for.

19. LottieLab

Ok, thank you everyone for all your advice! Well, I cornered my dad for a few minutes today with every reason to get a dog I could think of. For the first time ever, he said he would think about it! He's not got anything against dogs, he just thinks he's too busy:eek:. I suppose I' ve got to be very patient now because he said he'd only consider it after the summer holidays!:D! Actually, he even said he did think we would just have enough time on weekdays so his only problem with the idea is me dumping the dog with him. Most of you have mentioned this too. I guess the whole family will have to talk about it at some point.:blush::001_tongue::D

20. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

I'd wanted a dog for ages and my parents told me I would have to pay for this puppy all by myself, walk her, play with her and train her. I assume they thought it would put me off. Did it heck. :lol:
    I saved for years (I started asking when I was tiny) and we finally got her when I was 13.
    You have to bear in mind, though, if you'd be giving the dog a good life. Be honest and look beyond what you want rather than what is realistic at the moment.
    Good luck persuading your dog. :001_tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice