Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Are hognose snakes safe with kids?

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by pcb123, Mar 13, 2018.

1. pcb123

pcb123 PetForums Newbie

Is it true that they rarely ever bite? I read that some hognoses are venomous but presumably the ones sold here in pet stores aren't

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

You can't have some of a species that aren't venomous and some that are.... Yes, hognoses are venomous. The ones I've met are all quite placid and more bluff then anything, though you will get hognoses that would bite more readily, but this doesn't seem to be the norm with hoggies. My boy will hiss and puff himself up if he's feeling that way out, but he has never once gone to bite, that's not saying one day he wouldn't (owned him 4 years).

Hognoses are not dangerously venomous like a rattlesnake, that doesn't mean care shouldn't be taken. Hognoses are also rear-fanged venomous, which makes it more difficult for them to envenomate. Rattlesnakes, cobras etc are all front-fanged venomous, which means all they need to do is bite you quickly with their front fangs and they could potentially envenomate. Hognose's fangs are located right in the back of their mouths, so they need to 'chew' on you to get any venom into you, if they struck and then quickly moved away, they couldn't inject any venom. Most people have a mild reaction to a hognose bite, like a bee sting, sometimes a bite can cause your hand to swell or arm to swell. If there is swelling it is always good to go to the hospital but, generally, they're not seen as a danger, which is why you don't need a licence to keep them. Obviously if you have a reaction to the bite (like you can have a reaction to a bee sting), then it could be dangerous.

I wouldn't say hognoses can not be around children, but I'd always exercise caution just in case. Hognoses are not known for being aggressive or biting, they are normally pretty laidback. It's always best to be cautious around feeding times, as this is when you're most likely to be bitten, and most likely for the hognose to 'chew' if he thinks he's got hold of the mouse. I wouldn't let a child handle a hognose unsupervised and I wouldn't let them handle until i knew the snake well, for example, I know my boy is all bluff so wouldn't be too concerned about letting anyone handle him under my supervision, but I have years of owning him to establish he is very unlikely to bite.

anachronism likes this.
  3. pcb123

pcb123 PetForums Newbie

Ok, Thanks alot for all the info

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice