UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't wait to have a gorgeous little dog to cuddle up with at nighttimes or if I'm down. Are dogs naturally cuddly or is it a case of nuture? If you 'over cuddle' a puppy will he/she grow up wanting cuddles or space?

My sisters dog lies in her arms like a baby whereas the other dog (older rescue dog) prefers to just lie nearby when he chooses and not when picked up. I know dogs are individuals with their own personalities but I would be really disappointed if I had a dog who just did his own thing and used me for food! :tongue_smilie:

(As you can tell I haven't owned a dog for years!)

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Depends on the dog I think; Kilo has always been cuddly since being a pup. I don't impose cuddles - I just wait until he comes to me. A friend has a dog who totally does his own thing - prefers the floor to the sofa and never seeks contact.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I read an article a while ago (I can't find the link now unfortunately) which was about dogs and cuddling.

The gist of the article was that dogs are not naturally cuddly as we define cuddling (i.e. being held) though they do naturally like to cuddle up against people/other dogs.

I think I agree that dogs need to be taught to enjoy cuddles as puppies. Our eldest was an adult when we got him and had been shown absolutely no affection at all. We've had him ten years now and he'll tolerate being cuddled very briefly but that's all. He does, however, like lying up against or sometimes with his head on us.

Our other two we had from puppies and they're both complete cuddle monsters and I think it's because we cuddled them loads when they were little. They're both happy to be picked up, carried like babies and snuggled on our laps. Me and our girl have a routine when we first go to bed that she comes and lies on her back in my arms with her head on my pillow for a while, it's lovely!!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I think it probably depends on the breed/type and then individual personality. If you think about it a lot of the toy breeds have been bred with lapdog qualities in mind. I've never met a chihuahua that doesn't live for cuddles but I am sure there are some out there. Several of my past dogs have been quite aloof and whilst they would tolerate fussing they wouldn't have actively sought it out. Whereas Henri couldn't be cuddled enough; his capacity for snuggling far exceeds mine!

What sort of dog are you after?

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Only one of mine has been cuddly in that he actually enjoyed being hugged and cuddling up to you. Spencer (Labradork) loves his fusses but he's not a lap dog and while he'll tolerate a cuddle he doesn't actively enjoy it as such. Wolf (rottie mix) was the same. Shadow (collie) was affectionate on his terms. Rupert (god knows) couldn't get enough and was a 35kg lapdog. He'd actually seek out cuddles, shove himself under your arm and into your lap, put his head right up against yours and give a big sigh of happiness.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it probably depends on the breed/type and then individual personality. If you think about it a lot of the toy breeds have been bred with lapdog qualities in mind. I've never met a chihuahua that doesn't live for cuddles but I am sure there are some out there. Several of my past dogs have been quite aloof and whilst they would tolerate fussing they wouldn't have actively sought it out. Whereas Henri couldn't be cuddled enough; his capacity for snuggling far exceeds mine!

What sort of dog are you after?
I'm getting a Shihtzu or a lhasa apso. Both very similar and bred as lapdogs. I don't want to 'baby' a dog or treat it as anything other than a dog but I would like to have an affectionate dog who likes being cuddled! (although my boyfriend would say the opposite as hes scared i'll fuss the dog more than him!) :001_smile:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
1 of mine loves cuddles and will push to sit on your knee and push her head under your arm for a cuddle.
1 doesnt mind cuddles but usually lays on the other sofa, but will demand a cuddle when hes in the right mood.
And the last one is a cuddle monster, but only with me...not OH :p

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
I think its more then exception then the norm to find a toy breed that doesnt like cuddles and fuss TBH!:D The breeds you mentioned are both known to be very people orientated and cuddly.....although they might be less so in the summer as they are also both hairy mop dogs!LOL:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm getting a Shihtzu or a lhasa apso. Both very similar and bred as lapdogs. I don't want to 'baby' a dog or treat it as anything other than a dog but I would like to have an affectionate dog who likes being cuddled! (although my boyfriend would say the opposite as hes scared i'll fuss the dog more than him!) :001_smile:
Be prepared for plenty of kisses and snuggles and a little shadow :)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I don't think I have ever had a dog that didn't like cuddles. :confused: The 3 we have now stick like leeches! We have to peel them off and put them in their beds. Then we get up to do something and when we sit down again, before we know it- 2 lap dogs and a shoulder dog!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think I have ever had a dog that didn't like cuddles. :confused: The 3 we have now stick like leeches! We have to peel them off and put them in their beds. Then we get up to do something and when we sit down again, before we know it- 2 lap dogs and a shoulder dog!
aww thats cute!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I can't wait to have a gorgeous little dog to cuddle up with at nighttimes or if I'm down. Are dogs naturally cuddly or is it a case of nuture? If you 'over cuddle' a puppy will he/she grow up wanting cuddles or space?

My sisters dog lies in her arms like a baby whereas the other dog (older rescue dog) prefers to just lie nearby when he chooses and not when picked up. I know dogs are individuals with their own personalities but I would be really disappointed if I had a dog who just did his own thing and used me for food! :tongue_smilie:

(As you can tell I haven't owned a dog for years!)
Ive found that it depends on breed and also individual dogs as well, some seem to want attention and cuddles more then others and some are that little bit more aloof.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.