UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not being a long term cat owner, had my older two about 18 months I'm am becoming more and more amazed by how intelligent my cats are.

A couple of weeks ago my tabby boy DeeJay, had not made an appearance that morning for breakfast. This is unusal for him as he is normally outside my bedroom door meowing until I go down and feed him. I was a little worried and my son who has a special bond with him was getting upset. After several times of going out, shaking the dreamies packet and calling for him, I asked his brother Jessie to go find him. I didn't really think much of it and had said it in a kind of jokey way and I went back inside. About 20 minutes later I went back into the garden calling for DeeJay and Jessie came bounding over the fence closely followed by DeeJay!

I also have two girls who are about 6 months old and not allowed out and they are little devils at trying to escape. They appear from nowhere and try to get out before you can close the door!
Twice now Luna has managed to escape and both times the boys have been there, almost herding her back to the house and blocking her escape as if they know she's not allowed out. In fact, on a recent sunny day I took the girls into the garden with my partner to let them have a little wander (garden is 100ft long!) and Jessie was there at their side making sure they didn't get away!

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Aww bless Thomas!! :D

Yes cats are alot smarter than many people think!! We've had times when we've told one of our cats to go and find another one who was somewhere out in the garden, and they have brought the missing one home!! :)

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
Mine do, too.
Steffie used to warn me whenever something in or around the house was amiss. When the window cleaner had been around in my absence, she waould meow very hard and guide me to the windows. When the exhaust tube of the air conditioner on the top floor had come loose and was blowing hot air into the house, she came to get me.
When Catweazle had wandered out of his territory and couldn't find his way back, Steffie warned me and pointed me in the right direction.

Catweazle and Ricky always guard new cats when they first go out, and show them their way around.

Steffie once went out with us through the front door. She used to do that all the time, but she was getting very old and hadn't gone out front for some time. We didn't realize she had become too rheumatic to get back over the fence to our garden and cat flap. Catweazle stayed with her till we came home, and told us where to look for her. He had been standing guard all the time she was outside.

I could give so many more examples.....
They really look out for each other.

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
Twice Seb has let me know the radiator in the kitchen was leaking :thumbup: I'm sure he was a plumber in his previous life :D

The first time it happened, he'd only been with us a few weeks, I was getting their breakfast, he kept on running over to the radiator, looking up and looking at me :) the second time I was sitting in the living room, he kept on pawing at my leg, then run in to the kitchen for me to follow him, I did after a few times, he sat at the radiator, looked up and meowed :D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Alfie our tabby doesn't show obvious intelligence, though Charlie on the other hand is a very bright cat. I can recall once we got stuck in a traffic jam on the M26 due to an accident a couple of years ago and we were worried that Charlie didn't have any food in his bowl. We had left a pouch on the side as we didn't anticipate running late. When we got home, he had eaten the pouch of food by biting and gnawing his way through the bottom of the pouch. He just has such a great awareness of his surroundings.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
I may be able to solve that problem....
Many alarms give a soft but recognizeable sound, a click or tick or something like that, shortly before the alarm goes.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My neighbours erected a wood panel fence some time back but didn't use concrete posts, these were wood as well and some 3ft higher than the fence itself. Of course, this stopped all cats walking across the fence (tho' I doubt it was intentional as they have cats) that is up until today when I spotted one of their's, Jimmy, making his way along the top of a panel.

When he came to a post he suddenly grabbed it with his front paws and swung his hind legs round to get a grip on the next panel with them once once he'd got a firm hold he let go of the post with his front paws. I laughed as I assumed he'd just slipped and lost his balance, but he did exactly the same when he got to the next post so it was definitely deliberate. He's figured out how to do what no other local cat has, which amazed me as I've always had him down as being a bit on the dopey side.

Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.