Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Are Bodmin's Claw too Long?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LittleMow, Oct 16, 2020.

1. LittleMow

LittleMow PetForums Member

So, looking at picture I posted (https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/aldi-special-aisle-this-week.532171/) I thought Bodmin's claws looked a little long. Been thinking about it for a while tbh, wonder what people on here think? I've included a close up, he does have his claws sort of outstretched.

My OH attempted to clip his claws a month after we got him, he just did the very tip of one, however, Bodmin yelped and pulled paw away. Since then I've got the clippers out a few times, not to clip but just to get him used to them, and he doesn't like them going anywhere near his paws. He's not keen on paws being touched in general, though is ok with having them wiped (i.e. will stay still while I do it). If he thinks I'm in anyway trying to inspect his paw he pulls it away, will slink away tailed a bit tucked. My OH thinks his paws are ok as they're not much longer than when we got him and at that time taking a tiny bit off made him yelp. I'm now not sure.

Any guidance much appreciated :) BodminClaws.jpg

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No, but has he dew claws?

3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

It's easiest to judge things like this when they're actually putting weight on the foot - nails always look longer different when the dog is sat down and just holding a leg out in front of them. Just like the angles and how they hold their foot can make you go ERRK when actually it's fine?

O2.0 likes this.
  4. LittleMow

Yes he has dew claws, only on the fronts @rona. @Torin. I know exactly what you mean, sometimes I think they look fine and others I think they look too long. So I've got a photo of him with weight on his paws, I've included close up and whole shot so you can see how he's holding his weight.

BodminClaws2.jpg BodminSpot.jpg

5. rona

He seems to have slightly weak pasterns and that is splaying his feet a little, making his claws extend and look long.
    On the close up, his quicks seemed to be very close to the end of the nail?

LittleMow likes this.
  6. LittleMow

Thank you. Could you explain this a little more please, I think I know what you mean about the quicks - this would explain why just taking a tiny bit off would cause him to yelp?

7. rona

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

He is very handsome no idea about the nails.

margy likes this.
  9. LittleMow

That's great thank you. Looks like I'll be working on getting him used to his paws being handled. Nail trimming is not something I've been looking forward to, especially after the first time didn't go to plan. Don't think I just keeping hoping the issue goes away :(

Thanks @Boxer123, some days he even looks quite regal - though he rarely behaves that way :D

margy likes this.
  10. margy

margy PetForums VIP

I always had to have Belles nails cut at the vets as she hated anyone touching her feet. If I tried she would scream blue murder. My cavalier didn't mind at all to me doing it. Funny how they all react differently .

LittleMow likes this.
  11. LittleMow

One of my mums springers is the same, he goes to the vet. I lent her my clippers during lockdown, but he wasn't having any of it, her bitch is fine with having hers done, they don't need doing much though - she does a lot of digging on the beach :). Is that Belle in your avatar with the super ears?

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

The standing photo, those look too long to me. I like the nails to be well clear of the floor when standing so that it doesn’t interfere with posture (like wearing heels causes you to stand different than if you were barefoot).
    I’ve done a few posts on nail trims with Bates, I much prefer a rotary tool for bigger dogs especially, Bates is due for a trim so I’ll try to show some pointers.

LittleMow likes this.
  13. LittleMow

Ok thank you, I've been thinking about it for a while umming and arhing, are they/aren't they. He seems uncomfortable about us 'interfering' with his paws. I think I may need to approach the whole thing differently, he seems to know when I try to look at them with 'intent' as opposed to when I touch them whilst we're just messing around.

I'll do a search on here for the posts. I've seen the rotary tool when you introduced it to Penny. May work better than trying to reintroduce the clippers and would there be less chance of another accident?

14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I do lots of handling as part of just regular petting and snuggling. I'd start there. Handle him with no intent of doing his paws, just touch them in passing as part of a regular sit and snuggle session. Is Bodmin snuggly at all? A lot of bull-breeds are :)
    Get him really comfortable with his feet being touched, move your fingers between his toes, stretch his toes out (bend them down) this is a great massage technique too. Actually a doggy massage class may really help with handling issues.

A lot of dogs yelp when you clip their nails even if you don't quick them. I've quicked all my dogs multiple times (except Penny, but I haven't been allowed to clip her nails yet, OH won't let me, he does it). Every time the dog never even flinched. Yet every dog has yelped at some point having their nails clipped (without quicking).
    My own theory - especially with bigger dogs with bigger nails, is that the squeezing of the clippers hurts.

Best way to clip if you're going to clip is to shave off small pieces at a time. The problem though is that a dog who doesn't like having his nails done you're going to only get a tiny bit done at a time, and initially you'll only do one or two nails per session.

Like I said, I prefer a rotary tool. It may be easier to simply introduce the rotary tool and not have to undo the association of the clippers. But it is loud and if he's noise sensitive you'll have to be extra careful introducing it.

15. LittleMow

Well I have a good start there, Bodmin is extremely snuggly, the most snuggling dog I've ever known, and he's not really noise sensitive (though saying that he doesn't really like the blender, so that could be an issue could maybe muffle it to start with). OH did only attempt a tiny clip, so you may have a point about the pressure. Think we'll try the rotary route, though for now will just work on the paw handling. The intent is definitely a factor, so will have to make sure I have none :)

He's fine with most other handling, except a hand going straight over his head - which seems to be the way most people want to pet him - even if I've asked them to 'please not touch him at all, just let him sniff you' :mad:

O2.0 likes this.
  16. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

no advice on the clipping - but I’ve been reading with interest as I want to make Ted comfortable with nail things!

But this bit is the same for Ted! He hates people petting him over his head (I’m allowed and OH most times but he knows us both well). Everyone always goes in for the over the head even when I tell them he’d prefer a back scratch. Then we he ducks his head away they look surprised...

I used to just say he doesn’t really like strangers and no one would bother him but now he knows a few other dog walkers and goes all waggy up to them so I don’t have that excuse anymore!

LittleMow likes this.
  17. Hugothedog

Hugothedog PetForums Newbie

Not really, unless it's causing him trouble to walk, he looks fine.

18. LittleMow

It seems to be some sort of instinctive thing for people to go in for the head pet, like they lose control of their arms :), he doesn't mind children so much (he loves children) though I only ever let him meet children who I know the parents of. I don't think many parents want a dog the size of Bodmin going up to their children, when we 1st got him he would pull eagerly towards any random child - so we got on top of that fairly quickly :D

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The nails do look a bit long to me, though the quicks look quite long.
    By the way, that's no way to treat a proper record.

LittleMow and O2.0 like this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious I was thinking the same, that's vinyl!!! :eek: But then I thought maybe it was a prop?

As for over the head reaching, I've yet to meet a dog who likes a hand coming at them from the top. It's just rude human behavior IMO. You can get dogs used to it, but even Bates, who loves every human he meets sometimes flinches or ducks at a hand coming at him. I'm always tempted to shove my hand in the person's face and ask them why they flinch at a hand comes at them when they do that to my dogs and the dog ducks.

LittleMow and Teddy-dog like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice