Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Arden Grange

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Messyfreckle, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Messyfreckle

Messyfreckle PetForums Junior

Browsing Zooplus (as you do!) I came across the Arden Grange dry cat food and wondered what you think of it? It says it's gain free, so how does it compare to Applaws?

2. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

I don't know much about cat foor but my opinion is:

A whopping 26% potato! 50% chicken.

I would go for Applaws if I fed dry regularly. That's min 4% Potato (yes I know it says min but still) and at least 80% chicken.

3. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

My local waitrose has just starting selling this but I was put off by the potato percentage too.

4. Kittymom55

Kittymom55 PetForums Newbie

I did a bunch of research 3 years ago and switched over to Young Again Pet Foods. Pure meat based protein and the closest thing to raw that I could feed. I have actually had diabetic cat go non-diabetic with their -0- carb dry food. I am extremely happy with the food and my vet bills have been cut because I no longer have cats getting urinary tract infections every few months. Plus, they do not eat a lot as I believe a smaller amount is satisfying them and my cats are not getting fat like when I fed dry with carbs. May want to check it out for yourself.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Most forum members are based in the UK, and as far as I know Young Again Pet Foods are not available here, but there are other makes of low carb wet food available instead.

6. Kittymom55

Kittymom55 PetForums Newbie

Do you have Tiki Cat from Petropics available? They do make an awesome line called Gourmet Carnivore and my guys love the -0- carb Chicken and Duck. Completely Human Grade Food. I am thinking if we can just feed them what they are designed to eat, that we would have healthier happier kitties. After all, dogs are omnivores and can eat fruits, vegetables, etc..., and cats are obligate carnivores which makes it more difficult to find a good quality food other than raw. I just can't do the raw food thing. I am not comfortable with the possibility of salmonella, and/or other bacteria's since I have Multiple Sclerosis my compromised immune system couldn't handle the possible exposure.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

No I'm afraid we don't have Tiki Cat from Petropics or Gourmet Carnivore. But all cat food sold in the UK has to be fit for human consumption by law.

Yes feeding raw food can be a problem if one has a compromised immune system. I am very wary of feeding raw poultry as I have had campylobacteriosis in the past, which was very unpleasant :( But I do feed mine raw rabbit, partridge and pigeon sometimes.:)

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

duplicate post deleted

9. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Ours like Arden Grange more than Applaws (although I use the Light version to avoid weight gain)

10. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Mine like it better than Applaws and I think its one of the better ones. We have the Light version too.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice