Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Arden Grange not great for Woody, Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by woodyblue, Apr 11, 2017.

1. woodyblue

woodyblue PetForums Newbie

hey everyone!

Just looking for a bit of help and advice really, so my German shorthaired Pointer x Hungarian Viszla called Woody is 20 weeks old, he was originally on Skinners Puppy he had 3 meals a day and had maybe 2-3max poops a day always firm, however his dog trainer thought he was hyper so we swapped him onto Arden Grange Large Breed Puppy.

He's not crazy about Arden Grange, sometimes will leave it and go back to it after a few minutes and Woody is a greedy pup so not like him at all, also he poops a lot more and its not always firm, I thought it would settle after a few weeks and he'd got used to it but its been 6 weeks now so I'm back on the hunt for another food to try, we were recommended Burns but I'm not sure about the grain content.

For the record also I wouldn't say his hyperactivity levels have changed either I just think he's a puppy.

Thanks in advance

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

If he was ok on Skinners and he likes it better put him back on that you can change it later when hes older.

3. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I would go back to Skinners but don't start chopping or changing a lot as they will learn that being picky gets them better food.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Some may disagree...but foods don't make dogs hyper just as its been debunked foods don't make children hyper!....

Considering your dogs breed, stage of development it sounds very much normal to be honest.

Stick to what you are happy to feed, as long as it suits your budget, your lifestyle and most importantly suits your dog.

One thing, soft poos can often be a sign of over feeding, and quite often feeding guides are really generous. So always be aware of this, and are always cut back, if poo is softer.

5. woodyblue

thanks everyone, I'm going to try sticking with Arden Grange and trying cutting the portion size down as suggested by lullabydream and see how he goes.

I completely agree with not letting him think he can pick and choose what he eats and if he's hungry he'll eat whatever I put in front of him.

Burrowzig likes this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

May be worth an email to Arden Grange. They give very helpful unbiased advice.

SixStar and Bobbie like this.
  7. woodyblue

That's good to know I'll give that a bash too, I want to stick with AG if I can.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I second this. Ness, their nutritionist, is lovely and so helpful.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice