UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Cat Chat Friend
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatever our thoughts are about the rulings of the judges and doctors dealing with the case of this little boy and whether we agree with the desperate efforts to keep hope alive or not …what a terribly sad day for his family, doctors and nurses who have cared for him and tried to help him recover. My heart goes out to them all and I will be thinking of them tomorrow at 10am.

·
Administrator
17,374 Posts
Whatever our thoughts are about the rulings of the judges and doctors dealing with the case of this little boy and whether we agree with the desperate efforts to keep hope alive or not …what a terribly sad day for his family, doctors and nurses who have cared for him and tried to help him recover. My heart goes out to them all and I will be thinking of them tomorrow at 10am.
It is so desperately sad to lose a child in any circumstances, they are in my heart too. Such a beautiful boy.

·
Registered
11,781 Posts
It's very sad. There is something I don't understand, maybe someone could explain. The hospital has refused to transfer him to a hospice as it presents too much risk. The words used are that it would "hasten premature deterioration".

Why is that even an issue? His life support is expected to be switched off today. The only thing I could think of is that if he were to die en route, somehow he would suffer in some way. But surely that would be inconsistent with him being brain stem dead already?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It's very sad. There is something I don't understand, maybe someone could explain. The hospital has refused to transfer him to a hospice as it presents too much risk. The words used are that it would "hasten premature deterioration".

Why is that even an issue? His life support is expected to be switched off today. The only thing I could think of is that if he were to die en route, somehow he would suffer in some way. But surely that would be inconsistent with him being brain stem dead already?
My brother in law was dying at a hospital far from home and his parents asked if he could be transferred to a hospital we knew and trusted, though at the time they thought there was hope. It was also refused on ethical grounds. To this day I'm not sure what the reasoning was. Maybe it's more about the transport staff? I don't know. I do know it wouldn't have helped him or any of us though.

·
Registered
19,111 Posts

I think it’s the amount of equipment he has and needs it’s not appropriate for hospice care and would be difficult and dangerous to arrange. If he died on route he wouldn’t be with his family.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

I think, and I might be wrong, that it probably has something to do with the fine line between withdrawing care which could cause a deterioration and actively doing something that causes deterioration. So transferring him to a hospice would be deemed as not having a benefit to him, but could hasten his deterioration. Does that make sense?

·
Endangered Species
26,195 Posts
It is a most tragic situation that none of us would want to be in. I would imagine there must be concerns by the hospital about their culpability should something happen to him in transit and they won't take the risk. I do feel so for the parents not having the final say about their child's welfare and passing away in what they must now consider a hostile environment. Much in our thoughts today.

·
Premium Member
34,186 Posts
It is a most tragic situation that none of us would want to be in. I would imagine there must be concerns by the hospital about their culpability should something happen to him in transit and they won't take the risk. I do feel so for the parents not having the final say about their child's welfare and passing away in what they must now consider a hostile environment. Much in our thoughts today.
It's going to be hard day for everyone not just the parents but the staff who having been caring for him.
The result was never going to be any different, I can understand them not wanting to let him go, but his been clinical dead for months, the hospital have done everything to help him but he died months go with just machines keeping him alive.

If they had said yes earlier they may have been able to move him but now it's to dangerous with all the machines his attached to.

Think of all involved today.

Bless you Archie, may you at last get the peace you deserve.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain a little here, as tragic as this is, I ran out of compassion and understanding for this family a long time ago.

The use of his mother's highly inflammatory language throughout such as calling it a 'choreographed execution' and saying they just want to harvest his organs, which aren't even viable anymore, for me, has been disgraceful. I can understand that she doesn't want to lose her son, but she lost him months ago and the lack of respect she has shown the hard working doctors, nurses and ancillary staff looking after her son while she drags them through every court she can think of is disgraceful.

There's no dignity in the way she's been behaving at all.

I'll now go and put the kettle on and await the onslaught.

·
Cat Chat Friend
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to go against the grain a little here, as tragic as this is, I ran out of compassion and understanding for this family a long time ago.

The use of his mother's highly inflammatory language throughout such as calling it a 'choreographed execution' and saying they just want to harvest his organs, which aren't even viable anymore, for me, has been disgraceful. I can understand that she doesn't want to lose her son, but she lost him months ago and the lack of respect she has shown the hard working doctors, nurses and ancillary staff looking after her son while she drags them through every court she can think of is disgraceful.

There's no dignity in the way she's been behaving at all.

I'll now go and put the kettle on and await the onslaught.
No onslaught from me. As I said in my first post - whatever our feelings are - I do have some thoughts along those lines (perhaps not quite as strong as yours) but can see both sides - I just feel desperately sad for everyone involved today.

·
Premium Member
34,186 Posts
I didn't realise this was how to happened.

Archie Battersbee was hospitalised after attempting the blackout challenge(opens in new tab), a dangerous TikTok trend(opens in new tab) that has recently emerged on the platform. Found unconcious by his mum at home, Archie's sad story has resonated with parents across the country, generating widespread sympathy and a reminder of the devastating effects social media can have.

The web. has got a lot to answer for.:mad:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts

Archie Battersbee was hospitalised after attempting the blackout challenge(opens in new tab), a dangerous TikTok trend(opens in new tab) that has recently emerged on the platform. Found unconcious by his mum at home, Archie's sad story has resonated with parents across the country, generating widespread sympathy and a reminder of the devastating effects social media can have.

I wouldn’t necessarily believe that @Happy Paws2. Lots of evidence suggests it was actually a suicide attempt unrelated to anything on TikTok. The childs social media was full of a lot of “dark” stuff that would indicate a troubled mind sadly.

The TikTok trend (which isn’t a new thing tbh) It is however the reason the mother puts out to the media.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Too many questions remain for it to have been a tiktok challenge. For one, there was no tech found near him, and the whole point of the challenge is to film it.

·
Premium Member
34,186 Posts
Too many questions remain for it to have been a tiktok challenge. For one, there was no tech found near him, and the whole point of the challenge is to film it.

What the matter with kids today when they have to do things like this.:rolleyes:

·
Look into my eyes....
17,853 Posts
I wouldn’t necessarily believe that @Happy Paws2. Lots of evidence suggests it was actually a suicide attempt unrelated to anything on TikTok. The childs social media was full of a lot of “dark” stuff that would indicate a troubled mind sadly.

The TikTok trend (which isn’t a new thing tbh) It is however the reason the mother puts out to the media.
I hadn’t realised that, had only read the tiktok thing.
Awful for all concerned especially the hospital staff with a very upset mother accusing them of all sorts. I understand though that there has been some very nasty bullying aimed at her in social media which must be horrible

·
karma is a funny old thing
6,965 Posts

Archie Battersbee was hospitalised after attempting the blackout challenge(opens in new tab), a dangerous TikTok trend(opens in new tab) that has recently emerged on the platform. Found unconscious, by his mum at home, Archie's sad story has resonated with parents across the country, generating widespread sympathy and a reminder of the devastating effects social media can have.

What the matter with kids today when they have to do things like this.:rolleyes:
🤬
Really!
Does all this speculation help the family in any way?
Whatever and however it happened, a child lost his life and a family is, this morning, starting the long and hard grieving process, knowing they did everything, but still wondering whether there was just one more thing
Whether he died in April, or died this morning, he was loved so much his mother, figuratively, crawled over broken glass, to protect him to the last
No one knows the truth, except the child, or, those who found him
The continuation and spreading of such unseemly speculation, demeans everyone and profits no one,
Gossip is just hurtful
And
If it's one thing this family don't need, it's spreading of hurtful unsubstantiated 'facts'
Have some compassion

And yes if it was one of mine, I'd fight to the furthest end just like they have

1 - 20 of 39 Posts