Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aquarium light

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

hi all,

Recently my neon light has broken and have tried everything to fix with no success.

I have brought a temporary led light from amazon, the light from this is obviously much much less meaning the tank is darker by some way than before.

Will this cause any issues for my fish or plant life?

Any information would be great.

Cheers :)

2. Fishnewbie

Anyone ?

3. danielled

danielled Guest

Are you sure the bulb didn’t just need replacing.

4. Fishnewbie

Tried the Bulb :( and the starter motor and a new fuse in the plug!:(, can’t seem to fix it. Are you aware if low lit aquariums will impact the fish / plant life?

5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

The fish won't be affected. I'm not very good with plants, but logically I'd guess that they could be affected, depending on the species and whether they need a lot of light or not. Some plants prefer low light.

6. Fishnewbie

Thanks Magpie! The Fish are my main concern anyway! This light can do for now then until I have enough money to get a new Lid....

7. LilRich

LilRich PetForums Junior

The fish won't be affected the plants may very well be.

If you see plant die off (browning leaves and stems) remove the affected plants. That die off can cause a ammonia spike and can wipe your tank out.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  8. Fishnewbie

Thanks LilRich, il keep an eye on the plants, they seem to be ok at the moment but will monitor closely

9. LilRich

LilRich PetForums Junior

If you do see some die off which happened quick if you have a ammonia test kit handy it wouldn't hurt to check.

Better safe than sorry

Fishnewbie likes this.
  10. danielled

danielled Guest

Could there be a dodgy connection? That’s why my tank light doesn’t come on without persuasion.

11. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

yes plants will suffer from low light conditions, however, if you have general plants you will get away with it in my experience for around a month. My submersible LED's all had to be removed about 6 weeks ago as the cables became brittle. I saw some die off in my plants although the anubias and moss were fine. I bought a new Fluval aquasky LED that fits perfectly under the lid near where the old tube light was the plants are already recovering.

The good news is that Swell aquatics had a sale on Fluval lights so I got a bargain

Fishnewbie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice