Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Apprenticeship entitlements...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gilly and Jess, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Can anyone give me any pointers on where to look for Apprenticeship entitlements please?

My son is doing a Joinery apprenticeship, and his employer is taking money from his wages every day for tax, which I'm not convinced he should be paying yet. He only gets paid for 4 days a week, they don't pay him for his day release at college which I believe he's entitled to, and he only gets just over £100 a week.

Also, he's been told he won't get paid for the bank holidays this month. Is he legally entitled to paid leave for these days? His employer said he has to have been working for him for 6 months, which he has been, and then came up with other excuses for his not getting paid for those 4 days.....

The kid has heaps to pull out for car insurance to be able to do this apprenticeship, and if he's minus 4 days this month he's going to struggle to manage for another month after that.

I'm just not sure he should be paying tax already, he's only been on 6 months, and on his weekly wage? Are bank holiday wages dependant on the employer? I've looked on the internet and I don't really know where to start....:rolleyes:

2. Savahl

Savahl Guest

not all employers pay Bank holidays, not sure about the tax thing, but i guess if he is employed by them then tax would be deducted weekly as he is paid, also some employers also dont pay for day release, i know some companies who pay, but made the kids make up on a saturday, or take holiday!

Apprenticeships are generally a skint time, i know it was for me! My step-bro even had his tuition fees deducted from his wage which put him on less than min wage

going to dr quick, will post more info when im home

3. Gilly and Jess

Thanks, I'll look forward to reading.

4. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Bank holidays (Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment)
    "You do not have a statutory right to paid leave on bank and public holidays. If your employer gives paid leave on a bank or public holiday, this can count towards your minimum holiday entitlement. There are eight permanent bank and public holidays in England and Wales (nine in Scotland and ten in Northern Ireland).
    If you work on a bank or public holiday, there is no automatic right to an enhanced pay rate. What you get paid depends on your contract of employment."

So thats the answer re: bank hols

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Day release

"The vast majority of apprentices are normally in full-time employment and so tend to receive the ‘rate for the job’. Since 2005 they were entitled to a minimum wage of £80 per week and this was increased in 2009 to £95 per week. On 1 October 2010 the rate was increased to £2.50 per hour and the pay also covers the time that the apprentice spends in off-the-job training at a local college or at the training provider."

6. Gilly and Jess

Cool. could you give me the link to where you got that last bit of info from on the day release bit, please? So I can print it off for him and he can show the boss.

Fair enough on the bank hols thing, he'll just have to lose out and manage somehow, but the tax thing bugs me. He's NEVER had a pay slip and he can't get a tax code from the boss for love nor money, constantly fobbed off. Have to go to the tax office meself I think! I just know he shouldn't be paying anything!!

7. Savahl

Savahl Guest

http://www.apprentice-forward.org.uk/Parents/WhatWillTheyGetPaid.asp

how old is he? or do you think he falls under the taxable limit

I guess earning £100 a week, that means he earns less than the personal allowance of 7.5k.

<Might be worth a trip to CAB

#7 Savahl, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  8. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

As a student you DO NOT pay tax! You pay NI but not tax!! It was like that for me at university despite working 40 hours a week!

9. Savahl

Savahl Guest

an apprentice isnt a ft student tho, an apprenticeship is a job, i paid tax throughout my apprenticeship as college was less than 16hrs a week. has that changed? Im assuming he is only at college a day a week, and working the rest of the week - but either way earning less than the personal allowance

checking up http://www.taxdoctor.co.uk/do-students-pay-tax.aspx students do pay tax along with everyone else, its just less likely they over-run the personal allowance levels

Its a shame cos otherwise being at uni a day a week i wouldnt lose 800quid a month to the taxman :'(

#9 Savahl, Apr 18, 2011
  10. Gilly and Jess

He's 19 now. And yes, it's one day a week in college.

When the tax allowance went up under the budget the other week, he went in to work and joked with the boss that that meant he now wouldn't be paying any tax as he would be well below the threshold...........the boss came back at him that instead of paying him £35 a day and taking £8 a day tax, he'd now be paid £28 a day and not paying any tax..................:blink:

11. Savahl

Savahl Guest

at 35 a day, 4 days a week, 52 weeks a yr, is still under the threshold. (£7280, £7475 or so is PA) He def is only paid 4 days??

And even if he was paid 5 days a week he would only be taxed 20% on £1625 a year (£6.77 a week) [if iv done maths right]

#11 Savahl, Apr 18, 2011
  12. Savahl

Savahl Guest

i think that his boss relies on the fact his apprentices dont understand tax... you dont get taxed on your WHOLE wage. just that over the allowance, so he was taking 20% a day which isnt a true calculation of their annual tax.... is your boy a member of any trade union? Or talk to CAB

13. Gilly and Jess

This guy is a real card, it has to be said!

He changed my son's pay system from weekly to four weekly a few months ago. He's now been told that since next friday, due pay day, is a public holiday, he won't be paid that day, he will have to wait til the following thursday?? He said April is a 5 week month??? Since when? There are only 30 days in April and his last pay day was April 1st......

And not only that, if he wants holidays he has to pay £8 a week so that he gets paid when he takes them?? He's entitled to at least 20 days paid holiday a year as far as we can see....

Getting ridiculous now!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice