Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

applying cream for conjunctivitis

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by NEW2CATS, Mar 23, 2011.

1. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

hi,

took billy to the vets this evening with a gunky eye and as i thought he has conjuctivitis.

the vet gave me a cream to put in his eye and i have just wrestled with him to try to apply it. however i am not sure how much actually went inside his eye - it seemed to sit more on the edges of his eyelids.

anyone got any advice for getting this stuff actually in his eye!?!?!? should i be aiming for the eyeball or the tear duct area??

2. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

Hi,
    Here's a few tips I've learnt along the way: warm the cream to body temperature first as it makes it much more runny (just putting it in your pocket for a while will do this) and then aim to get a thin strip of it on the inside of the lower lid by gently using the ball of your thumb to roll the eyelid outwards. If you are treating both sides be very careful not to touch the nozzle on the lid itself - or you will spread the bugs about - and wash your hands afterwards because you can catch conjunctivitis too!
    I appreciate a wriggly cat is not the best patient but hopefully your technique will improve rapidly with all the practice (failing that, ask for drops...!!). Good luck...;)

3. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

It may be a job for two people. But I agree with Petloversdigest, try to pull lower lid slightly downwards to create a tiny pocket and apply the cream in that pocket. When you release the lid again and the cat blinks, it will smear the cream over the eye.

I'm convinced vets should stock up and sell the cat groomer's bag, it would make life so much easier when we have to apply creams like these without having to deal with claws and wriggling bodies!

[​IMG]

4. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Another good reason to keep the tube in your pocket: Billy will run when seeing you reach for it!

Another tip is to do it during cuddling time. Run your thumb on Billy's forehead from nose upwards, like his mom licked him when he was a baby. When he's completely relaxed (you should continue rubbing his forehead) position yourself behind his head, place the rest of your hand under his jaw and with the thumb stretch the upper eyelid (like a continuation of the rubbing movement). Apply the cream close to the lower lid, as Billy will be looking up to watch you he won't get scared. After continue the rubbing like before.

Apart from some blinking, my kitten doesn't even notice that I put something in her eye.:wink5:

Confidence is everything in this situation. Practice to open the tube smoothly with one hand to not distract him.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you tried firmly wrapping him in a towel, so that only his head is sticking out, if there is two of you its easier, one can firmly hold the towel wrapped kitty, leaving you to use both hands to hold his head firmly with one hand and apply the ointment with the other. Otherwise if you have him wrapped on your lap, holding him against you, you should still be able to hold him firmly under the chin from behind, angling his head with one hand, and get them in that way.

6. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

thank you for the tips guys - pleased to report a much more successful appplication this morning!!

though i am sure it can get better and not so traumatic for the 2 of us lol.
    i will probably get really good at it just as the course runs out

thanks!!

7. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

That's great news! By the end of the prescription cycle you will be both proud of yourselves and a bit sorry that you don't need to use your new skill for a long time! :)

8. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

If anyone is really struggling to hold a cat, even in a towel, then my professor showed us a new trick this week. She used a labcoat (but any jumper/fleece with a wide enough sleeve and elasticated end would work) and rolled up the sleeve part, popped it over the cats head so it was looking out of the wrist hole and then pulled the sleeve down over its body. Not too much chance for legs to escape unless it somehow manages to drag one forward and out of the wrist but way less chance than with a towel. Suprisingly effective and cheaper than a cat bag!

9. Petloversdigest

Glad you are succeeding - will be worth it when all clears up in a few days time..! :)

10. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

yes it is starting to look much better already :D

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad he is getting better, and your managing to get the ointment in his eyes a bit easier now.

12. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

although giving medication to a ragdoll cant sometimes be easier, i used to give raffles eye drops in the later years. i used to put it in from behind, just tipping his head backwards, he was so unaware than coming in from the front

13. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

hey guys,

billy has finished his eye cream but his eye is not 100% better - do you think i can just call the vet and get a stronger anti biotic to pick up? he really doesnt like the ride to the vets!
    or is it safer to take him in??

14. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I had to use fuciderm on my two for six weeks as they had Clamydia which presents as conjuntivitus did the vet discuss this as a possibility, have found this but it's australian but very imformatitive.

15. Petloversdigest

Looks like there may be another cause apart from the striaght forward bacterial infection which would clear up with the cream - worth another trip I would say...:)

16. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

i will check his eye again in the morning and will take him in if it still looks abit red.
    didnt even occur to me it might be something other than conjunctivitis:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice