Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Applaws

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by slavetorobbie, Jun 1, 2010.

1. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

Well now my kitten is a bit older and eating well, I thought it would be a good time to try and change him from low quality food to a higher quality one. I bought some tins of Applaws kitten food and added a little into his usual food, and he has loved it, empties his bowl every time and is now leaving the usual Felix to eat only the Applaws. However, [email protected] only sell little tins for 75p each, which would cost a fortune if I switch over completely! Is there anywhere that sells this food in larger quantities? I have seen 6 for £4.50 on zooplus which isn't bad, but I prefer to go into shops rather than have it delivered as I am out a lot of the time.
    Anyway, if anyone can help or make any suggestions, thanks!

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Sainsburys sell Encore which is the same stuff just a different label. [email protected] SHOULD be selling multipacks of Applaws. Were last time I looked for it.

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

would need to double check on the kitten... but applaws adult is only a complimentory food and so is unsuitable to use as a cats only source of nutrition.

hmmm... just checked and i cant find a specific wet kitten food on their website?

leaving that aside i would forget about finding a suitable "kitten" food, feeding a good quality adult high meat content wet food will be more than enough.

Now as to brands....

Feline feyre black pouches & tins - asda
    Tesco's finest pouches & tins - tescos (doh!)

are probably the most easily accessible :), and also similar consistency to your kittens favourite of applaws.

Other options

hilife - some supermarkets & most petshops
    natures menu - most pet shops
    porta21 - online
    bozita - online
    almo nature - most petshops
    grau - online

are just a few other. Be aware though that not all are the same consistency as applaws so might be less palatable.

If you still wanna give a tin of applaws occasionally, can i suggest a sneaky alternative. Encore in sainsburys is applaws under a different label (same food, same manufacture, same tin just sainsburys bought the rights to label it for themselves)! Often on special offer which keeps the prices down! Feline feyre also do complimentory foods in pouches and tins if your kitten likes fishy varieties (well they do a chicken one but its a pate and mine wont touch it!).

4. slavetorobbie

Yeah they sell multipacks of adult Applaws, not kitten.
    Thanks for the Sainsbury's info, I will have a look tomorrow!

5. slavetorobbie

Ah ok. Well it doesn't say if it's complimentary or not, probs best to assume it is. It's called Applaws kitten - chicken breast, and says that 2 tins (70g) 'satisfy the daily requirements of an average cat'.

Now as for kitten food, I have been wondering whether to just start him on an adult food. But I don't understand why kitten foods are made and sold if not necessary?! I'd be quite happy to move him up to a good adult food as they're definitely more accessible, but obviously want to do the best for him as he's still a baby. So is kitten food a moneymaking scheme?!

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! Great that you are moving your cat over to something more meaty than whiskas and co. :thumbup: However, one question - are you also feeding dry?

Not only are Applaws, Encore, shiny cat, and almo nature expensive but they are not complete foods - by that I mean that they do not contain the necessary vitamins and minerals that a cat needs. Essentially, they only contain cooked muscle meat, broth and sometimes rice - nothing else. While that is a great selling point, it doesn't actually contain the offal that cats need to provide a source of vitamins or any added minerals, such as calcium (normally found in bones). If you look at the analysis that applaws provide you will see that their calcium and phosphorus ratio, which should be 1.2:1 is seriously out of kilter. The excess in phosphorus can create problems over time.

Now, feeding those foods is ok if you feed dry because one presumes that the dry contains enough minerals and vitamins that a cat needs. Indeed, almo nature say that you should feed 60% of their wet and 40% of their dry.

There are other filleted type foods that are complete but similar to applaws and co. Such as Feline Fayre (the black pouches are complete; the blue ones aren't) or Tesco Finest.

Edit - yes, kitten food is a commercial money-making scheme. The adult chunks can sometimes be too big, but that only means that you need to mash ip slightly. A lot of high-end brands don't do separate kitten food - I guess that says it all.

Hope that helps!

#6 hobbs2004, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  7. slavetorobbie

Ok I think I'll switch him to an adult food in that case, thanks for that info.

He does have dry too, he's still eating whiskas dry just because I didn't want to change it all at once and make him poorly, and he really likes his dry food too so I'm not planning on removing it from his diet even when he's on a higher quality complete wet food.

Tesco's Finest looks the way to go then!
    Thanks everyone :)

8. billyboysmammy

hmmm google does indeed find an applaws kitten wet!!! strange that its not on the applaws home page! It is however on the main manufactueres home page mpm.

ingredients as listed:
    It appears that their kitten food is a complete food :)

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Cool! I would say that you should see whether your cat will eat food with a different consistency - such as chunks or pate. A lot of the high-quality food is actually pate - a lot of the treat food is filleted meat, which tends to create fussy eaters.

Considering that your cat is still young, you may as well try to expand the repertoire.

Re dry, I personally don't see any need to feed dry - particularly dry that is full of filler carbs, which don't really do anything for the cat but is cheap for the pet food industry. If you feed high quality, complete wet food, then that will contain what your cat needs (well, almost, most wet food doesn't contain enough taurine but that is a different matter).

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just curious why you would say that - it contains no info about any minerals (other than ca and ph) or vitamins in their analysis. Also, it is not a balanced food - look at the discrepancy between calcium and phosphorus.

11. billyboysmammy

oh my lord your right! oops!

I went on their "guideline" which states its a complete food, but that discrepancy is terrible!!

just scrap what i said about it being a complete food please STR?!

12. slavetorobbie

Hehe ok, I don't know what I am looking for but I will trust you guys!
    I will try Tesco Finest if it's a decent brand. He turned his nose up at pate before, little sod. He is loving the Applaws though, and I'd much rather feed him something with a high % of meat etc in it considering it's not exactly difficult to do so!
    It does make me wonder why people bother with Whiskas etc when better quality foods are available for similar prices..

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Because whiskas and co are instantly recognisable brands that pour a lot of money into advertising and spin. A lot of the higher end products don't advertise at all in normal media, preferring to pour money into their product instead. :D

With calcium and phosphorus the ratio is supposed to be nearly 1.1:1 - always slightly more calcium than phosphorus, In the case of the kitten applaws that ratio is too much skewed in favour of phosphorus. Does that make sense?

#13 hobbs2004, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  14. slavetorobbie

Well I'm glad to have learnt to be honest, it's nice to come on here and read people's advice. And then I shall pass it on to my cat-owning friends!
    I have had a look at Tesco's cat food, there is a lot of choice! What kind of % meat should I be looking at? And any other particular ingredient that is especially vital?

15. slavetorobbie

Yes it does, and can see the difference in the ingredients of Applaws. Not as confusing as I thought!

16. billyboysmammy

alongside the fact that whiskas et al have the best marketing, as much as i hate to admit it, cats can and do live long healthy happy lives on it.

Its not the best by any stretch of the imagination but sometimes i have to admit to myself... if it aint broke dont fix it! I dont have to like the fact that its true, but i do have to accept it.

However... dont get me started on dry foods, evil of all evils imo.

17. slavetorobbie

Well yes, my mum's cats are 17 now and they've always been fed on those types of foods and have never been poorly or needed the vet aside from routine checks/spays/vaccinations etc. However, if a better quality is available and you're aware of it, there's no reason not to feed it.

I don't want to get you started, but... do you think I should just stop feeding him dry? I only give him it as he likes it and also when I'm out it's convenient for him, although I know it's not necessary (just worry he'll be hungry!)

18. billyboysmammy

how old is he now hun and how often are you able to feed him in a day?

I'm guessing he still needs around 3 meals a day... can you fit those in around your working schedule?

If so then YES! DUMP THE DRY!,

if not (and considering his history), i would stick with the dry (yes i did just say that!) until he is able to be on just 2 meals a day

Hope that helps xxx

19. slavetorobbie

He's 12 weeks now and as of next Monday I'll be working full time but will be able to feed him in the morning, when I am home around 6.30 and again before bed I guess.
    At the moment he's having 3-4 meals a day still.
    Maybe I'll keep the dry for a little longer and see how he gets on.

20. billyboysmammy

i'd keep the dry while you transition into the new working hours, and think about switching him to 2 meals a day at around 6mo xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice