Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Applaws Pate

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by maisiecat, Nov 26, 2012.

1. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Finally found this for sale, and thought it would be a good idea, being a pate, just to encourage eating.

Opened the first one, it looks good, smells OK, but was a resounding failure.

BTW one of the ingredients is pork in the fish one which may not have helped.

I am not a fan of Applaws at the best of times, and have read all the stuff about the bad batch of dry, have also had problems with it, I am not convinced that cats should eat potato and more than they should need grains. Not mad on the wet food either for various reasons (rice being one of them, both cats refusing to eat it being another). But trying to persuade one to eat I was prepared to try anything. Big failure, as expected :(

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

And still only complementary stuff apparently - pate or not. What a wasted opportunity on their part if it is indeed still only treat food.

Every single dry food will have some carb in there - some will have more, others will have the bare minimum the processing needs to make it into dry food. There is now a process that apparently gets rid of the need for "fillers" to be used but as far as I know no food has yet come to market with the 0% process. So, if you don't believe that cats should have potato or rice or some other carbs, then thankfully dry food isn't for you.

3. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

I got a free sample from them, if you email them they might send you some.

Amber & Bentley didn't like it.

4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I did e.mail and ask them, but never had a reply, so when I saw it I bought it. The other 2 are going to the sanctuary with all the other failed trials.

The ingredients are assorted meat and fish, regardless of which 'flavour' you get. It looks like a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless, like me, you are desperate to find something your cat will eat for medical reasons.

Agree, Hobbs, as always :D about the dry. Something else that is only used as a treat or out of desperation for a non-eating cat, and never with potato as it gives one of them cystitis, even in small amounts, the the other vomits it back up.

The only one I can trust them with is JW, and I know it isn't great but it suits them both, and only 2 as a treat after meds in one case, and to encourage eating in the other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice