Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Applaws food warning

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by katiefranke, Mar 3, 2010.

1. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

hi all, not been on here in a while, so sorry if you have seen this. I did check recent posts and didnt see it.

this warning is appearing on a number of forums in the last few days and is very worrying - it relates to the applaws DRY cat and kitten food (not wet), but if this is affected there is obviously the possibility of the dog food also being the same...so please take a read. I cannot make any comment on the accuracy of this, but thought people should read and make up their own mind: Applaws Dry Cat Food - Mycotoxins and Melamine found in Applaws dry cat food - please be aware if you are feeding this to your cats.

It has also been posted in the cat forums and you will see that a number of people (me included) had also experienced unwanted affects with the food on trialling it:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/90314-warning-re-applaws-dry-food.html

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

OMG!!That is worrying.. I will have to phone my friend who uses Applaws dry and get her to check her cats are ok.:(
    I love their wet food but never try anything new til it has been on the market a while and reviews are good. Think my puddy tats will stick with their Orijen for now!!:)

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

interesting reading.

i remember a good while ago when applaws dry first came onto the market, reading similar stories from people. cats vomitting etc. i havent heard anything recently though.
    im not sure how up to date that article is, but maybe the food has been changed?

i sell it in my shop, and have people buying it regularly without mention of any illness. Heres hoping it stays that way.

4. katiefranke

when I used it was prob from about March 09 until November 09 - so 6 months and the whole time they had funny tums and one started vomiting a lot and we didnt know why as she hadn't done it before. vets didnt know what it was and in the end I changed their food thinking maybe it was just dodgy tums?? They were fine within a week of having them on orijen...I had not thought anything of it until then.

Reading the article it seems that it has been going on through last year - the lady herself posted on another forum I am a member of recently, which i think is what has started all the posts on it etc, so looks like something may be still ongoing.

Lets hope they have acknowledged there was a problem and have fixed the issues, as very scary to think we were feeding this thinking it was one of the best foods out there and we could have been poisoning them :(

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

crikey thats a bit of a worry, hope people have a read of this

6. Dirky47

Dirky47 Banned

Interesting to read. Thanks for sharing this to us. We are now alarmed about this food issue.

7. katiefranke

I have actually just been contacted by a number of people over PM since seeing this to tell me they have also experienced the same things! This is all getting very worrying now...

I am really hoping that if my kitties upset tums and sickness was due to the food that it hasn't caused any lasting damage...it is frightening reading what mycotoxins can do :(

I hope they have looked into this and pulled any suspect bags, as it seems everyone so far that has issues was during last year and then people have swapped foods and are now fine...haven't found anyone saying it this year yet...

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

maybe a bump or two would be good for a while ;)

9. Inkdog

Inkdog PetForums Member

Thanks for the alert, Katie.

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

lil nudge :)

11. alysonandhedley

alysonandhedley PetForums Senior

How awful! We are really at the mercy of these pet food manufacturers arent we? Its another good reason to feed raw meat if you can.

As if the toxins werent bad enough, fancy it having melamine in. Isnt that what kids cereal bowls are made of?

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Well you all know this is what Rupert has been eating for the last couple weeks :rolleyes:

Yesterday I took him off it completely and he is on rice/chicken/egg etc until the new food comes, even if its several weeks. Its unreal what that stuff was doing to him, though I don't know if its about what was in it as its the same as the Orijen (the affect its had on him is the same).

Bum is incredibly sore, poops just not even easy to pick up, scavenging and being an incredibly greedy bugger, he has actually been sneaking up and nicking food off plates which he has never done as he knew it was a no no. Been going around licking the floor all day and generally he is either a nutter or really tired.

Funnily enough I emailed the guy about it 1.5 weeks ago and got no reply whatsoever.

Anyone know if the tins are meant to be similar at all, or if it is just dry?? I've got about 18 to use up :(

13. katiefranke

funny you should say that!! loads of people are having similar problems...they never reply to questions.

the tins are meant to be absolutely fine, as these are made with a separate process to the dry...but then who knows now :(

they go on about being made in the UK and ethical standards for their food and sources...but I found their wet chicken is from Thailand!!?? So a couple of people on here emailed questions about how can they be sure about the ethics of how they were raised etc if they come from Thailand where standards are very iffy at the best of times!! but no replies!

I had thought they were a brill product, but am now very disappointed in them :( I am so glad I have swapped them all to raw.

14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

all the wet food is from thailand. not sure about the dry.

we sell tons of the cat wet food and have never had any bad reports, and have never read anything bad about the wet food, so i wouldnt worry about that.

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

The link is from 2008/9 too..!!

So disappointing!

I don't think I want to feed their wet stuff if its from Thailand :nonod: got about 15-20 tins of it though. Such a bugger!

16. katiefranke

I know!! It's terrible - it has been going on all through last year it seems and I have had PMs from people saying they had similar issues - one group are putting in a complaint together to the UK Trading Standards to confirm what is happening etc and to add their experiences to it... :(

It is ridiculous that they have had warning since over a year ago that something was wrong and it still seems to be an issue...you would think they would have been looking into it/changing it! I saw another post on the cat forums saying their cats are on it and having the runs and vomiting and that is only from Feb this year too!

When I found out about it coming from Thailand I was like 'what'?? When I was first deciding between Orijen and Applaws everyone was saying that Applaws came from the UK !! they obviously dont like to promote the fact that their raw ingredients come from thailand ...ha, they kept that quiet :(

17. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

OMG, my cats have just finished a bag of this, I bought it just to give it a try & they loved it
    they've been fine on it but I won't be buying it again:(

18. katiefranke

Just FYI, these are the other threads going on in the cat forums on this. The second one is interesting as in that a newbie has posted a flimsy statement from the company, see peoples replies...:

Main thread with warning on applaws dry from the other day:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/90314-warning-re-applaws-dry-food.html

Second thread with someone posting about issues with their cats on applaws recently in feb:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/89454-trouble-applaws-dry.html#post1425539

19. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for these, katiefranke, I'll be watching these threads (and my cats, although they haven't had any ill effects so far) with interest
    It's upsetting, as I try & make good choices on behalf of my animals, to find stuff like this out:(

20. Inkdog

Inkdog PetForums Member

Absolutely! Our animals depend on us to feed them and many of us have invested a lot of time trying to find the best options. I've never used Applaws, but it was on my list of possible future choices. Not any more though! I might have felt differently if Applaws had stepped in with an explanation, but their continuing silence on this issue is very worrying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice