Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Applaws dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ludovica, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Ludovica

Ludovica PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I'd like to know if any of you has used this food. It's very new in Italy (not here I believe?) so I'm looking for opinions from someone who might have been tried it for a while...
    From the label it looks great for the ingredients, but the ashes are quite high, which, together with very high level of calcium and phosphorus, suggests altogether a high presence of minerals...
    What do you think about this?
    The other doubt I have is more personal: both my cats are very sensitive, I have been feeding them RC Sensible 33 for a while, and I have just bought this Applaws, but the 2 foods are very different in composition, being the second grain free and high in proteins, so do you think I might change more gradually than usual?
    I think this new kind of food should be fine with sensitive cats being more similar to their natural diet, but I'm afraid they might have problems at the beginning...
    Thanks

#1 Ludovica, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

The 1st batch I bought made my cats be sick, it smelt horrible and they weren't too interested.

However, they've changed it now and the smell is better and it seems the cats will eat it now.

I suggest buying a small bag and seeing how you go.

3. Sarnajes

Sarnajes PetForums Member

All my cats like it apart from Rosie who won't touch any kind of dry food! :rolleyes:

4. Ludovica

Ludovica PetForums Newbie

Any suggestion about the change?
    Did you have any problem introducing this food?

5. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Just add little bits of the applaws to their usual biscuits and gradually increase the amount of applaws and decrease their old biscuits over time.

If you do it too fast it MAY upset their stomaches.

6. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I feed my cats Applaws along with a mixture of other dry foods, I put all the different brands in a big box and they get a bit of each.

I had no problem introducing it as I just mixed it in with the other dry foods they get and they never noticed but I would to be safe change over slowly.

Just add a little Applaws at first and slowly increase the amount until they are eating just that.

7. CATastrophe

CATastrophe PetForums Junior

Perhaps have a quick read of the posts 'which dry food' and also 'where do you buy your cat food'... both have interesting information regarding Applaws dry food.

I will just say that, it is still very STINKY, and I mean VILE stinking. both my Asian and Bengal will not go within a mile of it... a better alternative is Bozita kitten dry and also Orijen - they're both pleasant aromas and both my two greedy guts eat them like starving maniacs :)

8. eltongo

eltongo PetForums Newbie

As Biawhiska mentioned, Applaws seems to have changed the formula slightly to the dry food, and they're noticeably dryer than before (it felt moist before), and do not have that stinky smell any more.

I feed my two cats Applaws dry with absolutely no problem. I do mix in a small fixed percentage of some Hill's Dry Adult though, which noticeably reduce the smell from the litter tray!

9. Eunice

Eunice PetForums Junior

It made mine sick but that was when it first came out. I haven't tried it since

10. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I do this. Mine aren't dependent on one brand & it's good when there are offers at Pets At Home to go from ProPlan to Applaws to JWB by mixing them all the time. They are always interested too. Never had a problem with any dry varieties as a result.

11. CATastrophe

I thought you weren't supposed to mix different foods together, as the balance of vitamins and minerals wouldn't be as recommended?

I have never mixed 2 brands of food together, unless I was changing their diet and slowly introducing a dry food rather than wet?

12. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

of course you can. mine have different brands at different meal times etc.

13. messyhearts

If they are complete foods then it's fine. They are all designed to be balanced for a cat's diet (unless stated otherwise) so giving them variety is okay & helps when it comes to changing diets as they are already used to a variety.

14. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Applaws dry food is a complete food but Applaws wet food isn't a complete food, if anyone was unaware.

15. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Have tried the kittens on Applaws Dry this week and to my surprise they love it! lol Am really happy as its seems good quality :)

16. CATastrophe

No, I didn't mean for different meals - I meant together in one meal time!

I was always advised (and of course the manufacturer advises - because then you only buy their products) that you don't mix different dry food together because you wouldnt get the right balance of goodness.

I try different brands, I guess too whatever is maybe on offer, but bearing in mind that I dont want a dry food with cereal in - at the moment they have Arcana dry food inbetween meals, but usually stick to wet food from Bozita cartons.

17. messyhearts

That doesn't make sense.

Complete is complete, you can't have levels of it. If mixing was harmful then one of the brands in that mix is harmful full stop.

18. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

Not the adult varieties, but the kitten food is complete.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice