Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Applaws dry cat food to go with a wet food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Hanwombat, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Hi,
    I have a three year old cat

I am wanting to put him on Applaws dry food and I am thinking about also using natures menu wet food as well.

Opinions please?

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My opinion is only feed wet and no dry - it's a myth that dry is in any way helpful for cats. Go wet and stay wet (or go raw even better)

3. Hanwombat

Problem is I'm not made of money and the wet foods can be very expensive, esp the amount to give daily. My cat is a large cat as well - 6kg (we rescued him and he was extremely over weight, weight slowly going down) but he is still a big cat so more to feed

4. shortandfurry

shortandfurry PetForums Senior

Yes there are very expensive cat foods out there but there are cheaper brands too. And I'm not talking about supermarket stuff either.
    Have a look at some of the foods on zooplus.com - we're in the process of switching our cats from whiskas (junk food) to better but still reasonably priced wet food. Currently have a selection of bozita and animonda carny tins.

You'll probably see this phrase a lot, but any wet cat food is better than even the best dry cat food.

5. Hanwombat

Do you have a link to these foods please?

6. Hanwombat

Which would you say is better out of the two/

Just looking at Animonda Carny - So the tins are 800g each and if I am correct for a 7kg cat they'd need 365g a day.... so I guess that is good value! and will last a few weeks

7. Hanwombat

What about lilys kitchen?

8. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Mine have been on Lilys Kitchen for the last couple of months. I know people think its expensive but they have a new 400g tin which, if you don't mind having to put it in the fridge and then warm it up a little every mealtime, is really good. It works out cheaper than a lot of the trays and sachets and I think it keeps really fresh unlike some which seem to dry very quickly.

9. Hanwombat

Ive just ordered some Animonda Carny

10. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Way to go Hanwombat! From dry to wet in nine posts! Awesome.

:thumbsup:

Really mean it... AC in 800g tins is good value but ... (here we go...) :eek: 'ANY wet is better than any and every dry'. :p

Empty the big tin into tupperware or screw-top jars to store in in the fridge. Add a spoonful of warn water when you serve it, for a little extra hydration... and to encourage the lovely fleshy aromas.

Good going. ;)

11. Hanwombat

Yay me :)
    I have been looking for days and thought I'd push the boat out :)

I think I'll like it here!
    Hope to add some photos of my puss tonight (at work at the moment) :eek:

12. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Photos would be lovely. :)

Welcome to the PF.

13. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I am in the process of moving my 7 month cat from Hills wet and dry to Applaws dry and Natures Menu wet pouches. It's only day 2 but he is loving both so far. We are only adding 25% of the new ones at the moment. I've increased the wet from 25% to 50%. I know most people on here recommend 100% wet but I'm pretty happy with 50/50. I think it's a personal thing.

14. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Just looked at the Animonda Carny. Does look good value for money. I might try that as well as the Natures Menu. I was looking for a good one to add for variety

15. Temperance

Temperance PetForums Member

We used applaws to wean Temperance to wet, she's down to just 10g a day split between meals to get her to eat the wet but the aim is to drop it completely.

We use Butchers at the moment which is very good value and will be getting a few foods from zooplus shortly to use in rotation with the butchers, keeps cost down but removes need for dry food to keep price down.

16. muffin789

muffin789 PetForums Senior

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't think our own preferences should come into it when feeding our pets who rely on us to choose for them - it should be all about their health and wellbeing!!!

Before I realised the error of feeding dry, I lost my first two rescue cats well before their time because they developed problems I now know are exacerbated by including dry food in their diet.

Please do read more of the threads on here that explain why dry is so bad, and I hope that some of the nutritional gurus we have on here will be along to explain it better, but please do put your cat's health first :)

ETA... Spid's post on wet/dry gives tons of great info - hope it helps!

#16 muffin789, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Satori likes this.
  17. Hanwombat

Im looking forward to moving Bear over to Animonda Carny :)

18. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I will definitely have a read. I'm happy to do whatever is best for Dylan. He certainly seems to enjoy the wet food and if it's better for him then that's great. Sorry to hijack your thread!

19. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

Just to complicate things further - not only should it be a wet diet (even better raw) but its best for a rotation - good brands from zooplus are AC, Bozita (tins) Ferringa, Grau (grain free), catz fine food and terra fellis. There may be more - but those are the only ones I can remember.

The happy kitty company The Happy Kitty Company

Has all great brands so are deff worth a look at. Their delivery is quick and great too.

So there should be a good variety to satisfy every cat :)

Make sure food is complete and make the transition slowly. Stick to set feeding times and don't let them graze.

20. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Do you have any advice on feeding times? My cat is 7 months and nearly 4kg (he is half Bengal so a big breed) so should have about 400g a day. 200g per meal seems like loads and he wouldn't finish all of it. Do you have lots of mealtimes? Also, how do you rotate? How long are they on a certain brand until you move to another? Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice