Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Appenzeller swiss mountain dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by murphy21, Apr 1, 2011.

1. murphy21

murphy21 PetForums Member

My OH had a beautiful appenzeller, i know he was one of only a few in the uk but i wondered whether anyone on here had any? the other dog was my collie x husky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we took them sledding! it was amazing bless them they pulled me so far/fast the only problem was when one of them stopped for a wee :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Not seen one before what a gorgeous dog. They related to the bernese?

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Lovely dog. Are they the same as the Greater Swiss? I have a Bernese myself, so similar.

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Funny because I was only looking at them today in a Dogs Today mag and thought how beautiful they are. Didn't know there were any in the UK - it said they are mostly in their homeland.

Gorgeous dog - i'm jealous! ;)

5. murphy21

There's 4 types; the Bernese, the greater Swiss, the entlebucher and the appenzeller they are all closely related. I think there is 3 in the uk? Milo came from Switzerland where there is loads. They are gorgeous and their tail is really tightly curled over the back it's really different. No one knew what he was.

6. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

The President of the British Dalmatian Club also has Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs.
    She lives here in Staffordshire and we regularly attend their Breed Club Funday with the Spotties everyone has a great time! They are lovely, calm and cuddly the total opposite to Dallies! :D

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Greater swiss are gorgeous too got a cuddle off the sweetest girl at DD. Apparently very intelligent and lovely temperments

8. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

I agree they are Smoochable, Smunchkins. :D

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Very smoochable one was happily getting cuddled by a toddler. I'd be very tempted by one much longer lifespan than the bernese and wonderful dogs.

10. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

I do believe they have a few health problems. The lady I know imported all three of hers from Switzerland but the younger one sadly passed away of some heart condition not sure what. :(

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'm sure they do have health problems hips for one I would guess in such big dogs. But apparently better than the Bernese

12. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

I would be very very tempted to have one if I had a larger house!

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'm getting a giant schnauzer and my house isn't exactly huge. They were the ones that were nearly extinct weren't they?

14. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

I love Giant Schnauzers I do believe that hey were almost extinct are you having to wait for a puppy?

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I've been waiting over a year but I wanted to get one this autumn and one of the breeders I really like have a litter planned for then. They offered me one from a litter that would be ready this month but I wouldn't have the time for one right now :(

I meant the greater swiss were almost extinct

16. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I got it wrong it was a entlebucher, similar to the untrained eye :eek: don't tell OH I said that though, cos it's so annoying when people mix up your breed.

They are both very stunning dogs, love their colouring. :)

17. murphy21

I know the greater Swiss have health issues due to their size etc but the appenzellers (the medium sized ones) are pretty health problem free. Ha it's ok they look really similar but entlebuchers are smaller and I dint think they have the curled tail? But yeh he was a beautiful dog :)

18. CatCaspers

CatCaspers PetForums Newbie

I have a greater swiss mountain dog so they are similar :) Your dog is very beautiful! I dont know how to post pictures unfortunately :/

If anyone wants to know more about swissies they are truly wonderful dogs. Great with kids, other dogs, other animals and other people. Protective and alert but not aggressive. Very affectionate, people orientated and loves to work. Need a good hour or more of exercise a day but then they will be calm and relaxed for the rest of the day. Somehow calm and relaxed but active and playful at the same time. If you do get one you can never walk down the street or go anywhere without someone asking you what kind of dog he is! You either get two reactions with a swissy "omg that dog is so huge and scary" or "omg thats such a beautiful dog". Not for everyone but so amazing.

#18 CatCaspers, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  19. Radka Stasiuk

Radka Stasiuk PetForums Newbie

20. Radka Stasiuk

Radka Stasiuk PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm looking for Appenzeller from few weeks now,unsuccessfully,something has changed or we still have only 3 lucky owners in UK?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice