Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Apartment pet bed Advice :)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FunkyOrange743, Oct 30, 2020.

1. FunkyOrange743

FunkyOrange743 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, just a quick question.

One of my relatives will be moving away for uni soon, he’ll be living in an apartment. He is autistic. Recently (about 7 months ago) his jack russel passed away due to natural causes (aged 14 so he lived a great life) being autistic he is very fanatical about keeping up with pet care. So hes after a buddy. He doesn’t want another dog just yet of course.. i suggested a cat but he thinks they are a little too cold and not as affectionate as dogs (i kinda agree hehe) so guys what would be the best apartment pet thats somewhat affectionate and likes to be handled, similar to a dog but of course i dont think anything will compare to a dog, but their must be something! Thanks guys

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I must admit, I'm not a cat person, but with the right cat............

I've been won round by my neighbours rescue cat, he is the most affectionate animal, dog,cat,rabbit,ferret, whatever, that I've ever come across.
    To be honest, he's so affectionate that he'd probably get on my nerves a bit if he was mine. He sits outside, waiting for her all day, and the greeting the owner gets is as good as any dog.

The only other creature I can think might fit, is a Ferret, though they don't live more than 7 years generally

Happy Paws2 and LinznMilly like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

It can depend on the individual pets.AS Rona says , Cats can be very affectionate , Rabbits make good indoor pets but you have to make sure they dont chew the wires etc.

FunkyOrange743 and LinznMilly like this.
  4. FunkyOrange743

Ferret is a good shout! Ill do some research on them for sure.

ive also seen some very affectionate cats but its a pretty rare thing and im just worried that coming from a dog a cat wont be his bud like his pupper was

i was also looking at bearded dragons for him but again im not sure how affectionate they are, they almost seem like prisoners on the videos ive watched haha. I dont think reptiles can compare to mammals in that regard

maybe rats? Looking online rats seem to fit quite well if anyone has experience with them?

rona likes this.
  5. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

My daughter had rats when she was at uni, and just after.

They’re brilliant pets, love people, learn their individual names and are super intelligent, able to learn tricks and commands.

Rats need to preferably come from a breeder who has handled them from an early age.

On the less convenient side, they need plenty of attention and lots of time out of their (as big as you can fit in) cage, which needs to be kept clean.
    They are relatively short-lived.

FunkyOrange743 and kimthecat like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Cats are not "cold and un-affectionate", what a sad thing to think. They are loyal loving interactive companions. No other animal is "like a dog". You want a dog you get a dog. You don't want the care of a dog, and don't like cats, try a small caged pet, but realize that they also have needs. Ratties are intelligent interactive animals as well. Not as cuddly as a cat though. :)

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

From my experience - and I’ve had a few. Male cats are generally less independent, more affectionate than females and seem to moult less. Definitely worth considering.

Agree re rats. Not quite as affectionate but very intelligent.
    I prefer gerbils. Amusing to watch and less smelly.

A hand reared budgie or small parrot make lovely pets.

FunkyOrange743 likes this.
  8. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I wouldn't say a ferret is an affectionate pet, you're not as likely to get an affectionate ferret as you are an affectionate and loving cat. I've only had 2 cuddly people orientated ferrets in 20 years of having ferrets, the others were all too busy exploring and playing to be still for cuddles.

What about a Guinea pig or a rabbit?

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. FunkyOrange743

All great suggestions that ill let him know about! Guinea pigs are a great suggestion as are rabbits, i did not think about those animals! Im worried that rabbits will need a large cage and his room may not be suitable, pigs and rats on the other hand seem to not need as big of a cage :)

and i will definitely keep trying to convince him that not all cats are the same but it’s difficult haha, I appreciate all the help guys

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think budgies are hugely underrated as pets. While not 'cuddly', they love hanging out with people, having a gentle stroke, and are very entertaining. Obviously you need one that has been handled from a young age for it to be tame.

Summercat and LinznMilly like this.
  11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed! They can be such characters. We had one called Tony (we didn't name him. He was originally my grandparents bird who came to us when they died), who would join us at the dinner table, fly down to the carpet and run from one corner of the room to the other, to beat the heck out of his reflection in the glass in the TV stand. :D

. . .Probably best that I don't talk about our first budgie, Bella, though. :Bag :D

SusieRainbow likes this.
  12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, go on !

13. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

:Muted :Smuggrin

14. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I have 2 boy rats and 1 will happily sleep on you or hang out on your shoulder, the other would rather be exploring his surroundings. They are easy to keep clean and do their poops in a litter tray.
    I've had them for nearly 3 years and they were from a rescue so not sure how old they are.

Summercat and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice