Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by butter_cup, Nov 24, 2012.

1. butter_cup

butter_cup PetForums Member

I've had the girls 2 weeks, which probably explains why I'm panicking so much now!

Should I be worried? River and Melody are both about 12 weeks old, and are normally hyper kittens- charging around the room chasing each other, playing with everything, climbing the curtains and eating everything in sight!

Today however they have been very quiet and asleep on the sofa all day. They haven't eaten much- their was wet and dry food left in the bowls during the day, and only River ate a small amount of the two types of wet food I put down this evening, Melody just walked off. River is showing a bit of an interest in toys, but again Melody doesn't care.

I can also hear Melody's breathing when she's sat next to me, so I'm starting to worry a bit now! What could it be? What should I do?

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hmm sounds like they may have a cold or possibly even a bit of cat flu, if you can hear their breathing they might be bunged up, and that would mean they can't smell their food so they won't want to eat :( Best to ring the vet.

3. butter_cup

Hmmm, they had both had their first vaccinations on Monday, could it be something linked with that? River is fine now- eaten nearly a whole bowl of wet food and chasing the laser round like a mad thing, Melody is just curled up in the carrier asleep though- she is never normally in there either...

4. Treaclesmum

They can sometimes get a little cold after their vaccs, but the vaccs were 5 days ago... I don't know if it could be that, but possibly. Their bodies have to build up an immune response to the vaccs. You could check with the vet though, I would - Melody sounds like she is feeling quite unwell.

5. butter_cup

We were advised to keep watching her until morning, and if there were no improvements to bring her in then.

When we got up there was still no change, no moving really or eating, so we took her in. After a 2 and a half hour wait (!) we finally managed to see the vet- turns out she has an 'fever with unknown causes', she had an injection of antibiotics and painkillers and came back home with some salt and sugar solution to syringe.

She picked up just after we got home and had half a pouch of food, and if now sleeping again (but not in her carrier, in one of her favourite nap spots!) I'm hoping that this is her starting to pick up, she's back tomorrow to take her temperature again and decide what to do next if it's still high.

Fingers crossed she gets better soon.

6. Treaclesmum

Glad you got her to the vet, hope she feels better soon xx

7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Poor baby. Sometimes they can be off for day s after injections. Good you got her seen though.

8. butter_cup

Thanks, I'm glad I took her to the vets to put my mind at rest. She's still not 100%, but we've had a bit more eating and she's moving around a bit more not. Still not her normal playful self but better than yesterday at least.

She does not like being syringed fluids though!

9. butter_cup

Ah, and Melody is much better today, plenty of eating and drinking, plus she's been playing and fighting with River this evening, yay! Much happier now :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice