Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anything About Terrapins

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by what?thatthing, May 29, 2010.

1. what?thatthing

what?thatthing PetForums Newbie

I would like to know what terrapin to get (map, yellow belly etc) I was wondering which one is the smallest and what sized tank and generally what stuff is needed for terrapins (filter etc) :) thanks

2. Echo

Echo PetForums Newbie

Common Musks are the smallest growing to 3-4 inches as adults and Razorback Musks tend to be 4-5 inches full grown...... African Helmeteds grow to around 6 inches...... Whatever you do, avoid slider species as they can grow huge.... Males at 6 inches and females upto 12 inches.....
    You need a tank that holds 40 litres/10 gallons per shell carapace length so for a full grown musk, you'd need a 40 gallon aquarium....... Any questions just ask, I keep loads of turtles......
    You also need a UV-B light (any others are usually too weak or will kill them), you need a heater and a very strong filter. External ones are best, the Eheim 2215 or 2217......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice