Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyones kids doing SATs this week?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sarybeagle, May 10, 2010.

1. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

My son is and bless him he is so stressed :( last night he would not settle, he kept checking he had everything packed about 10 times, checked he had locker key etc. And he is currently sat with his head in a book.

He has had 3 exams today and has 3 tomorrow, all day weds and 3 more thurs and he's done. He's only 11 and I think this is far too much stress at his age. His current level is 5b in all subjects with predicted 5a on each so they are really pushing him to hit this.

Anyone who's school boycotted the tests?

2. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I'm not doing SATs but I've done them. They are buggers and terrified me; but they were actually okay he sounds similar levels to what I was during the tests! Bless him, I'm so glad we don't have Y9 SATs anymore (first year group not to! Woo!) :eek:

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its about time they were done away with all together ive been sat with children all morning while they have done their first paper and its unfair, if it actually benefited the children then ok but it doesnt, they can be assessed and achievements celebrated without putting them through a week like this is going to be. I remember my own children doing them yes i encouraged them but never put any pressure on them, some parents do and its all unnesessary

#3 haeveymolly, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

My son is doing them too but is totally unfazed,not nervous etc.He is hoping to get his 5as too.I really symphathise with the kids who have confidence problems,they can feel like there is so much pressure on them.We do not push,but fortunately Dylan soaks it all in and retains the info.

5. haeveymolly

Yes my eldest was the same now 23 and still has the same confidence:rolleyes: but my youngest now 19 did worry about things did well but had to work hard for it. Its the children that do struggle that its very stressfull for depending on their levels they can have a reader or someone to sit with them which helps but its still hard for them.

6. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Dylan is lucky- he sat his 11 plus in November whilst having swine flu,he got full marks on 1 paper and 1 question wrong on the other!This surprised us enormously as he actually got a higher score than his older brother by 2 marks,without being competetive or anything,all he said he wanted was to pass:thumbup:
    I read in his school during the afternoons and I see the different levels of confidence and it is upsetting to see an 11 year old child fretting over tests that aren't important enough to do this.I think ongoing teacher assessments and end of term informal assessments are more than enough.

7. haeveymolly

Well done Dylan thats lovely to hear, nothing wrong with a bit of competition between siblings:D and yes i agree assessemants are enough, its a shame for the schools in particular bad catchment areas as like the one ime at with the best teaching in the world will never bring the school up in league tables etc as the leafy idylic school, so not a true reflection on the teaching.

8. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Jords school is one of those-unsatisfactory in all areas according to ofsted report and was my 3rd choice on secondary listings :(

His teachers have told him he will easily get 5a so he feels a failure now if he gets anything less :( I'm not pushing him as the schools done far too much in recent months with constant mock test (which he would get 99% in bless him) can't wait for to all be over

9. haeveymolly

A poor sats result could maybe trigger another ofsted visit, so theres so much pressure for all concerned. Hope he isnt dissapointed he shouldnt be if he's got level 5 in mock tests anything less will have to go down to nerves, bless him.

10. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Is it Key Stage 2 SATs he is doing? If so there are "only" 7 altogether (quite enough if you are stressed I'm sure). Ours only had the reading test today, they have the 2 writing tasks tomorrow and spelling, Wed is maths A and mental maths then Maths B on Thursday.
    We haven't boycotted them, but I bought Year 6 a bacon butty and made them feel special so they were more relaxed going into the test (hopefully!) They are only a snapshot of what the child can do in 45 minutes so do give a false report (I think) but we went ahead anyway.

11. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Why has he got so many?

If his school are doing the SATs (we're not, we're boycotting), there is only one test on a Monday -reading, Tuesday there is a short write, spelling and long write, wednesday mental maths and paper A and the final one of Thursday Maths paper b.

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

See I think SATs are a nice idea in that they get exam practise into kids and they learn how they have to be quiet and not distract others, BUT schools seem to be running them really stupidly now.

When I did mine it was a 'hi kids, you've got your Maths SATs test tomorrow, make sure you have something nice for breakfast so you are awake and not too sleepy' and that was it. No revision or you must reach this or that, it was literally something used to see how you were doing and the government use it to set a bench mark for pupils across the UK.

I totally understand schools boycotting them when so much worry is put on them. They don't affect your schooling at all from the experience I had, but I do like the way its a bit of exam practise, if you see what I mean?

Your poor boy being so worried, they shouldn't even have to care if they do good or bad, they wont sit any exams which are worthwhile (ie. that employers will ask for or look at) until they are at least 14 :( They have to do AS Levels now anyway, so its not as if they wont be doing lots of exams and getting more qualifications...

Overall I think a bit of exam practise doesn't do any harm, but it seems stupid how much pressure they are putting on them. My school was a good one and my secondary is a grammar school and performs very well, hands down my grammar push us far to hard. I came out with 2A*'s, 10 A's and 1.5 B's at GCSE and will have probably two A's and a C at A Level, but coming from my school I feel like I completely failed achieving those grades because they weren't my targets.

It just seems to highlight all round how they put too much pressure on kids in schools now :nonod:

13. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

tbh the boycott is not so much about the impact on the children, but about the way they are published and schools compared against each other. value added gives a better indicator on progress and quality teaching.

As someone else has said poor results are held against schools and further inspections can occur - sadly this means that us poor year 6 teachers end up having to teach to the test. The children then miss out on a well rounded education in their final year of primary.

If only we could be trusted to teacher assess properly!

14. GoldenShadow

Cr*p all way round isn't it..! Good on your lot for boycotting by the sounds of it :thumbup:

15. haeveymolly

Firstly its the schools that are put under so much pressure to get the results, so the pressure is then on the kids, the quicker they are done away with the better.

16. GoldenShadow

But for some there are no GCSE's either...

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh bless I remember doing SATs :(

18. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I thought most schools had done away with SAT's. I know my old school has...

Bless your little boy for studying so hard! I just think the curriculum is too narrow and all they get taught is how to pass an exam, and at 11 it's too much =[

I came out of school with 4 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's and a D at GCSE, and then 3 C's and a D at A2, and 2 C's at AS. Bearing in mind I was off school from Jan till April of Year 11 I think I did ok.

#18 kaisa624, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  19. GoldenShadow

That wasn't what I said, I know people can, but many home schooled kids don't.

And the quality of work, is certified by there being grades and not just a pass and a fail, therefore those who are most skilled at academia come out with the A*'s, whilst those less so come out with the B's etc.

Plus, what else will demonstrate people's skills aged 16? If everyone only did 6 GCSE's, I know most in my school would get A*'s in every single one of them, so surely by then offering more to be taken, those pupils who are more academic, get the opportunity to prove themselves further..?

20. haeveymolly

No exams are a true reflection on how well anyone can do, be it school exams, driving exams anything that puts someone under pressure. Thats why i think the course work they do towards their final result is a good idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice