Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone's dog have acne?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mushymouth, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mushymouth

mushymouth PetForums Senior

My boxer girl has seen a vet as she gets slot of spots around her mouth/lip/chin area.
    Sometimes it's better sometimes worse.
    Vet said she will just grow out of it.
    And gave me some cream and shampoo for50.00
    Havenyou tried to shampoo only a dogs face it's hard.
    Anyway just wondered of anyone had any ideas as to what else I could do as tbh the cream and shampoo are not doing much.
    It doesn't seem to get better or worse with food chAnges either as I thought it could be a allergy but it does look like acne.
    Any tips or ideas

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Our old BC had the same sort of problem & it turned out to be plastic, we swoped the plastic dishes for stainless & got her a new bed & it cleared up within a couple of weeks :)

3. andy7418

andy7418 PetForums Newbie

Floyd got a few huge spots around his chin that our vet said was acne. He gave us some antibiotics and it cleared up within a couple of weeks.

You can just about make them out in this photo:

[​IMG]

4. mushymouth

Bless him on that pic my girl seems to get loads of little ones rather than big ones...

How did you find out it was plastic?

5. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Yeah, ours go through the spotty teenager stage, lol!

We just washed the chin in hibiscrub regularly and I dabbed tea tree essential oil on the actual spots to dry them up. It doesnt last that long ;)

6. mushymouth

What's hibiscrub?
    My girl seems to knock the heads off them then they bleed and she gets it everywhere lol.
    But sometimes they look so sore. Did you just put normal tea tree on like what we would use?

7. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Hibiscrub can be bought from Boots larger branches, its a wash that is sterile and antiseptic and it costs about 7-8 quid for a bottle. You dont need much at a time to wash a chin, lol! It is used in hospitals and vets etc for handwashing and wound washing kind of things. I always have some in coz its handy stuff to have.

Yeah, your normal tea tree essential oil, make sure its the proper pure stuff in the little dark glass bottle. I just put a drop on my finger end then dap it on the spots. If any of the spots are broken and open, it will sting for a little bit, so dog might shake its head a bit, lol! So, you might wanna dilute two drops of teatree in a little bit of olive oil first, about 30 mls, this way, just use a bit of kitchen roll of cotton wool to soak in the oil then rub on the chin;)

8. mushymouth

Thanks I will try that.
    Hope it helps cos I hate seeing her with all her spots.
    I didn't even know dogs could get acne before now lol.

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

After upteen food changes etc the vet suggested plastic wish he's said that to start with :rolleyes: :)

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry just saw this. McKenzie was diagnosed with mild acne last week, although I understand it's much more common in short haired dogs. The vet didn't give us anything for it or tell us to do anything, just said that she would grow out of it.

Sorry that probably wasn't much help!

11. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

One of my fosters Ruby, a Rotty had acne on her chin. I simply bathed with salt water and it did wonders.

Paula

12. mushymouth

I got se tea tree yesterday and dabbed a little on this morning and I noticed a couple seem to be drying out.
    Fingers crossed.
    I think the vet was after me money lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice