Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone's Dog ever had a Nosebleed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by snoopydo, May 2, 2011.

1. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

I've never seen this Before Took the Dogs to my Mums today and Sasha had a Nosebleed....Is this Common in Dogs?

2. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

ive never had a dog thats had this before, was sasha ok in herself?

3. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Yes she was fine....She was Running around and playing in The Garden with sam..We also went for a walk to the park with my Grandchildren..Could over excitment or anything cause it I've got no idea why it happened
    :confused:

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

can't say its common
    but Yes Percy did have one whils't he was having a bath once

5. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

maybe you should ring your vet and see whst they say ive tried looking on the net for you but i found nothing, i wouldnt be too worried though if she seems ok in herself

6. I think nosebleeds in dogs are rare - that said!! can remember TWO friends dogs having bleds (one was very sad but nothing sinister) but cannot be sure of the facts of the other, other then it were a tumer , I remember she had surgery and it was very delicate but sucessful!

My advice would be ASK your vet! if only for peace of mind

7. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Thank you for all your replie's she's been fine since..Actually she was ok when it was happening I sat with her and wiped her face with a cool Damp Cloth..:confused: I'll call the vet in the morning for more info....I'll let you know what they say.

8. Aways best to check! even if it is for your own peace of mind!:)
    Let us know how you get one! even if only for re assurance for others!
    DT

9. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

I have known of one dog who had a nosebleed when he got overexcited playing....and my aunties goldie who has nosebleeds all the time. She has had tests and exploratory operations but still no cause found! Best bet, phone the vet! xx

10. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

I'll let you know tomorrow I'll call the vet for advise..Hopefully it was a one off.

fuzzymum..Re: your post ...When my mum was visiting the Dogs Home There was a Staffy there who got nosebleeds when he got overexcited ''like you mentioned with the Dog in your post''

I'm really hoping this is what it was with Sasha. I've only had her for 2 weeks..But I've know her since she was 4 months and loved her from the 1st time I met her.she's very much part of the family already seems alot longer than 2 weeks she's settled that well..

We took her to my parents today it's a 60 mile Drive I took my other Dog too they were brill on the Journey we took water bowls and stopped halfway at a Service Station to give them a Drink and let them have a wee etc...

Then she met my Grandsons for the 1st time..Got very excited when she saw the Children then she was playing in the Garden and Running around So she did have quite an exciting time so I'm hoping that is what it was.

She's an 11 month old German Shepherd....
    [​IMG]

11. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert has had one. Well it was assumed to be one as I found blood everywhere took him to the vets and that's what they said.

Apparently it's very common if they sniff and a foreign body like a bug or even a bit of soil or something goes up their nose. His was when he was less than a year old but I would guess he was about 9-11 months old at the time.

12. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Did percy just have that 1?

13. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Was Rupert ok after that ?

14. GoldenShadow

Absolutely fine no issues since. I'd walked him, come home and left him in the kitchen to cool off. Came down ten mins later and saw blood spatters everywhere hence rushed him to emergency vets lol!

He was fine though. Vet thought nose bleed as up his nose was sore looking and he was fine elsewhere. He was quite warm and panty when it happened he might have even snorted water from his bowl the vet said.

15. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

16. GoldenShadow

Try not to, call your vet in the morning and see how she goes. If she has a problem there will be other symptoms or more nose bleeds one isn't anything to get too concerned over although its hard for us not to worry :) x x

ETA: she might have just bashed her face or gone to itch and done so too roughly could be sooooo many simple things :)

17. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Yes, You are right I'm a Worry Bucket over everything...I'm off to bed now.

She's Absolutely Fine at the mo she's flat out on the rug asleep Not a care in the world :) And I'm here thinking of all the Worst things...:rolleyes::

I'm calling the vet in the morning to see what they say ....like people have said even if it's nothing serious it'll put my mind at rest and it's always best to check.

So I'll say goodnight thank you for your help and advise ''See'' you tomorrow xxx

18. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

What did the vet say? xx

19. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Right, Sorry if this post is a bit long the vets were Brill over the phone..:)

The Reception put a Nurse on who asked lots of Questions i.e

Breed, Age, Has she had one before? Has her health deteriated over the past few Days? Is She Eating? Has she acted as though she's Tired? or any else that is unusual in her Behaviour? How is she today, How long did the bleed last for? Did she have another in the evening/over night? Has she been Sneezing/Coughing or pawing at her face....She has'nt.

All my answers were Alls Normal She's still Eating, Still Very lively, Has'nt had a bleed since. lasted about 2 to 4 mins tops.

( That did make me feel silly ) I Think they were expecting me to say it bleed for an hour or something )

obviously I told them that I'd only owned her for 2 weeks but during that time nothing seemed different in how she behaves and she'd not been acting ill or been sick or anything.

I told them that she went on a Hours Drive to my parents and met new people and Children and was very excited and was running around like a mad dog with my other dog playing etc:)

They said basically what GOLDEN SHADOW Mentioned earlier..That is sounds nothing to worry about....:) And if it was caused by some underlying illness she would show other signs of illness along side the Bleed and she would'nt be acting like a lively normal puppy..

She reckoned that with all the changes she had yesterday ( The longish Drive meeting new people and playing around) she proberly went into overboard excitment and with the weather also being warm it sounded like she'd burst a vessel as can happen when their temps rise.

Or has she is a large pup they can sometimes be VERY Clumsly ( YES she is ) and can Run into things or knock themselves.

Last Advise was to keep a Close eye on her and if she has another within 48 hours..or if she has one when she's Calm and Not excitable I should take her in for a check-up. And I can call anything if I'm worried or need more advise. OH, and if they are caused by an Illness They will have them often.

So hopefully it was a one off.:)

#19 snoopydo, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  20. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

So far So good Still her usual Self :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice