Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone with HRMC knowledge?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 912142, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

One of my friends has been laid off work and I suggested contacting the Inland Revenue to see if they could claim back tax.

Is this possible do you know? I have tried contacting the tax office but held on for ages without a response. :smile:

2. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Your friend will have to wait until they receive their P60, which are sent out from April to June. Then they can contant their tax office and send wageslips and P60 with apllication form. Usually takes between 4-6 weeks to process and receive payment (cheque).

Though if you friend is claiming JSA and has handed in their P45 to the jobcentre, the jobcentre automatically sends out any refunds with the normal JSA payments in April (year end).

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more if need be.

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Thank you - that's what I advised but another friend suggested that was not how the system worked. I will speak with her again though and encourage her to apply.

Thank you so much for your help.

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Sorry am I am right in thinking you can claim back one year out of the last five years? So for example if 2009 was the year that most tax was paid you can opt to claim that back or does it have to be for the most recent tax year?

5. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

That is how the system works ;) I have worked for both the Jobcentre and HMRC. Also done a bit of payroll in my time ;)

Any other questions, I will be happy to reply!

6. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Your friend can claim back up to 6 years back. She doesn't have to pick the year with the most tax, she can claim ALL 6 years refunds (if any is due).

The jobcentre will only refund the last tax year though....Any further back, she will have to claim that herself via HMRC and have p60's for all the years and all payslips!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice