Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

anyone who knows about hamsters

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by CRL, Nov 12, 2012.

1. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

i have a mini duna that i have used as a hospital cage for rats that isnt being used. i still have the platform and bridge, i wont use the wheel it comes with as i have a silent spinner. im thinking of getting some robos, i know they like to live in groups, but how many females would be alright in a mini duna cage.
    i already have loads of toys i can use in their cage as i have owned mice before.
    i was thinking 3 robos, but wondered what other hamster owners thought.

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Groups of hamsters don't do well in cages with shelves hun, it can lead to territorial behaviour.
    Also with groups you need to supply one of everything for every hamster to yet again stop any territorial behaviour kicking off :001_unsure:

Personally I think the mini duna is too small, although I have housed one robo in one before without too much issue. He was moved out of the duna because he was starting to display stereotypical behaviour (circling and running up and down constantly) and as soon as he was in a bigger cage the behaviour disappeared.
    Just my personal experience but there ya go :eek:

3. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

I've had robos before, I wouldn't put more than 2 males or 3 small females in one. They might be tiny but their really energetic and lively! Dwarfs kept together usually need a single level cage with 2 of everything to help prevent fighting, but robos generally get along so you should be ok.

4. CRL

i also have the full sized duna. but i was worried about the bar size on the roof and that they might be able to escape from it. i have enough toys to fill the bigger cage as i went ott when i bought stuff for the mice.

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

You can always mesh the roof just to make sure :)

6. CRL

how many robos would i fit in a full sized duna?

7. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

How big are they again? I only know the mini size :eek:

8. CRL

no idea, its only showing the mini size and the fun size. i have the one that can fit 2 rats in. about the same size as a ferplast mary, in height, width and lenght

9. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I would say no more than two in a cage that size because once you have two wheels, two houses, two water bottles ect it will look quite full :p

Be prepared to split at any stage tho just in case (I know I'm telling a granny how to suck eggs but thought I best mention it for others reading :eek:)

10. CRL

even with robos. looking up stuff it says they live well in groups. im not keen on siberians as they cant live in groups

11. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Yep even with robo's, girls tend to be better than boys but sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

If you provide two of everything and scatter feed them then you have a stronger chance of keeping them together but it isn't guaranteed even with litter mates I'm afraid.

12. Felixteteddys

Felixteteddys PetForums Junior

HI

I keep big Hamster groups since one year. But campbells...

In a duna with 70 cm I would not keep any hamster couples its very small for a group....

For a group normaly we start at 1 m x 50 cm, cause you shoud put many houses and some other hideout. But you don´t need one waterbottels each hamster. I also use just one, even for very big groups. And I also take one wheel each two hamster, that means 2 wheels for 4 hamster and so on...

Normaly I use cage for 2 or 3 hamsters a size of 0,6-0,8 qm and for bigger groups 1 between 2 1/2 qm. I never had any problemes with my campell groups :)

But for securety you should be able to give every hamster a own cage!! :)

#12 Felixteteddys, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  13. CRL

i dont mind seperating if they need it. i have other spare cages. thanks for the advice ladies

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

yes your right, hamsters are meant to live on their own. Robos do tend to be the most sociable though, their the only ones I would house together.

Germany and Austria (actually eruope mostly), tend to have huge huge setups, really natural style. Much much bigger than we have here - I think even a hamster heaven or Alexander looks small compared to what you guys use!:lol:

BTW your animals in your sig are so cute! your rabbits look like really fluffy netherland dwarfs:D

15. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

That's because they are lionheads :lol:

16. Felixteteddys

Really? I have also seen very very nice cages in they pic thread on this forum!! I´ve nevery tried robos but I know many people who keeping couple or groups of campbells :)

At the moment I´m trying to make a biiiiig hamster family with about 20 member (10 to go lol).

Thihi thank you, my rabbits are a new race we breed, lionhead spooneard, I will see waht the future will bring me :)

17. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

Woops:eek: I have only seen lionheads in the petstores and they look pretty big compared to what these look like. The ones in Felix's sig have tiny stubby little ears like neths do, I thought they were some longhaired types not available over here:lol:

18. CRL

what about getting 1 robo. that way she wouldnt get territorial.

19. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Robo's do fine on their own :) Just make sure she has enough toys to stimulate and she will be a happy robo :)

20. Felixteteddys

Jep , hamsters are also lucky when they are on their one :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice