Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone who hires staff?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ClaireLily, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Hiya everyone, got myself into a wee bit of a pickle :rolleyes::

Found a great job on an agency website and applied straight away, the next morning I got a call from the recruiter dead chuffed with my application and said she would pass my details onto the company concerned and also email me the company and job specifics.

That was on Thursday and until I emailed her again today I hadn't heard from her. She replied saying my details were with the company and she expected to have news in the next couple of days. She also sent the job specifics and at the end it gives contact details of a guy, email and number but it's a Switzerland number. The last sentence states that applicants direct through the company are more likely to succeed than those coming through an agency and I don't know what to do now :(

The guy now has my cv etc so will know if try to apply direct, should I show keen and email him my cv again or should I bite the bullet and take the hit on my phonebill and call him? Or do I just wait and see what the recruiter says? I don't know what to do and I'm annoyed she didn't send me the info earlier as I might have been able to send my cv direct before she had the chance to.

Sorry for the long post but I need advice

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

If they take on someone who has applied direct, they won't need to pay the introduction fee charged by the agency - which can be up, and over, £1000.

The problem here is that you HAVE seen the ad via an agency, and even if you did apply directly & were successful, the agency would still be able to charge a fee as they provided you with the details that enabled you to do so.

So, you could forward your CV again, to make it stand out from those e-mailed by the agency, but I think that is the only possible advantage you would gain.

3. ClaireLily

Yeah I'd gathered that they wanted to avoid the recruitment fee. So do you think I should just leave it be and see what happens? I'm gutted it's a bloomin great job :cryin:

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

You've got nothing to lose by sending your CV again - it would show that you are keen & very interested but it might be in your favour to inform that agency X has already sent it. You don't want to look as though you are being sneaky. :eek:

Whilst 'direct' cv's may be more favoured, they still have to meet the requirements asked for. If your CV is hitting all the right notes, it will be considered even if you ultimately 'cost more'.

In the long run, it is more cost efficient to get the right member of staff from the start rather than to have to keep recruiting. :)

Good luck. :)

5. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I must admit this is a bit confusing. I'm surprised the agency have passed on direct contact details unless they have a specific contract with the company to provide applicants in which case, it may not look good to contact them directly. It's a long time since I've worked for anyone else but from what I remember companies would contract employment agencies to take staff and most wouldn't be interested in direct contact.
    Good luck.

6. ClaireLily

Thank you for the good luck! If nothing else I now have the company page bookmarked to I can keep an eye on any new vacancies

7. ClaireLily

The agency have passed on the company's job ad as in the vacancy page of the company's website I thought it was a bit odd too. That's where I saw the direct applicant thing. I can see for and against using agencies, for they do a preliminary screen for you against they charge you for it. I've gotten a job through an agency before I think they only used the agency for all vacancies but it's not the first time I've seen a job ad saying preference will be given to direct applicants. I just wish I'd seen the company ad first. Oh well!

8. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Can you tell us what the exact words are about going direct through the company?

It might mean that anybody who already works within the company and applies for that role has priority over outsides. That's a legal requirement now. :confused:

9. ClaireLily

10. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Hrm weird. I think everyone else is right though.......just seems a bit bizarre putting something like that when they're clearly going through an agency too. I wouldn't be happy if I was their agency contact :confused:

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Personally I would ring the person listed as a contact & ask how your application would be viewed coming from an agency. It may also mean that he looks out for your CV as he has already spoken to you

If it is a great job for you then you really do need to make sure you take all the opportunities available. If you don't then you may regret it

Good luck :D

12. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

It is usually the potential employer who is charged NOT the potential employee applying fot a position.. Seriously mate go to another agency...and contact this potential employer direct. If they are stating direct applicants it sounds like the"agency, who wants to charge you" is a con!

I am looking for work now and have used agencies all my working life, never have I paid for anything , not even CV writing.

#12 northnsouth, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice