Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone volunteer for St Johns Ambulance??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sophoscar, May 4, 2011.

1. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

I've enquired about st john's ambulance to do volunteer work...

Just wondered if anyone does it or has done it....???

2. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

I did this when I was younger, from 6-16. Soon as I started with GCSE's I didnt really have time but I really enjoyed it. Seen one of the member's the other week who asked me to go back!

The nearest group to me is tiny and didnt really get involved as much as it could of but if you find a big enough group it's good!

3. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

What did it involve?

4. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I did and recently been asked to return. I did it from about 10 - 23 so went from cadets to the adult division. I suppose you can do as little or as much as you like depending on your age. Although they do ask that you dedicate so much time to duties outside the weekly meeting. How old are you?

5. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

im 22........

6. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

In that case it depends how you'd like to be involved. You'd jpin as an adult first and foremost but you could be a leader in Badgers or cadets. If I returned I'd probably opt for that.

I loved being a cadet never reached the Grand Prior but obtained my Corporal/Seargeant stripes and then was made cadet leader. I taught First Aid to the cadets, did inspections and led duties. The type of duties we did varied from Point to Point races, football matches, fetes, community events, re-inactments (could get gory) and training weekends. I was a member of nursing cadets ----->

[​IMG]

Just for girls and the other group of boys met on a different night. Most places have joint divisions. We did like to compete with the boys :D

Its a very structured organisation and I'll never forget my first residential training. Was like an army camp and I don't do organisation very well :D

A charity like SJA are always looking for volunteers and I will admit I loved it, but when I left uni, moved house, got a job etc something had to give :(

St John Ambulance - The difference between a life lost and a life saved has some good information. PM me if you need any further advice :)

BM xx

7. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Thank you very much :)

Thats given me alot of information :)

8. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Your welcome there was once a time I did something every night but you settle down, get married and can't do everything :)

If I could chose to go back and do something else I would definitely do SJA, really enjoyed it - just didn't like the itchy uniform and glamourous hats :D

9. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

I can't do it every night lol

The uniform, do girls have to wear skirts??

10. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

In cadets we had to but at duties I liked the paramedic greens :D

during inspection we had to wear skirts but most weeks I wore black trousers :)

But yeah the uniform is a rather bleurgh part of it... as well as all the blood and guts when on duty (kidding :p a sticky plaster and 30 forms for insurance purposes was all we really had to do ;) )

11. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

I used to be an instructor and taught the usual First Aid, Medical Gases, etc. It is a good thing to do but a lot of time is spent attending events where nothing much happens and you just sit around. OTOH it does mean you get into a lot of events free! Our division used to have a gig where we supplied a first aider to the local theatre every night there was something on. I got to see a lot of very good plays with some big name stars for nothing.

Bizarrely, I seldom dealt with much in the way of first aid at any event we went to but I did put my training into practice a couple of times in road accidents. (I even got a commendation from the police for saving a motorcyclist's life). If you are community minded and want to volunteer I'd recommend you pay a visit to your local outfit and see what goes on.

I have to say, though, the uniform was dreadful. Our division never wore the hats and, wherever possible, we'd wear the green ambulance overalls (or babygros!)

12. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I actually loved them...looked proper business like :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice