Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone using/used Orijen cat food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tweedle Dee, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

Just wondered if its any good?, certainly sounds fab!

Ive been looking for a new food mainly for Whisper my 7 month ragdoll kitten ,who has had chronic Diorrhea for weeks now. (waiting for test results from the vets to see whats going on :(). At the moment she's on a prescription food (that isnt helping ). I really need to find a food that suits all 4 of my cats as they are on 3 different foods at the moment with one thing and another and its a nightmare keeping them all seperate at feed times, esp as they are usually grazers!!

Ang

2. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Haven't ever used it so couldn't say but please let us know what you think if you do decide to give it a go-good luck with finding out whats happening or rather why:)

3. LetsTalkPetFoods

LetsTalkPetFoods PetForums Newbie

Here is some first hand information(from Orijen) for you on their products :)

http://letstalkpetfoods.org/orijen-champion-foods-acana-foods-f63.html

#3 LetsTalkPetFoods, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  4. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

Gee! many thanks for that!, makes for very interesting reading.

I think i will give it a try, it certainly sounds good.

Ang x

5. LetsTalkPetFoods

LetsTalkPetFoods PetForums Newbie

You are very welcome :) I bought some for my Lil-Lea (Toy poo) after the communication I had with him and she likes it too....so I use it to supplement her NV Raw and people foods. She eats NV raw medallions enough to make sure she receives the right amount of proper vitamins. Maybe I give NV medallions to her two or three times a week, 2 each day (she is 7lbs) and then she eats people food. I make her (and hubby) fresh sweet potatoes, cook them with skins on and freeze them in small containers. Then, on days when we are eating something she can't eat or won't at, she gets those warmed up.... or I make her some hot dogs, or a piece of chicken. Yesterday she shared my Honey Dew melon with me........ she eats most anything.... When I am really hard pressed to feed her something, I put the Orijen down for her.

6. Maryon Jeane

Maryon Jeane PetForums Newbie

I'm using Orijen for our two cats (one Tortie Oriental Shorthair of six and one tabby moggy of three) and was just on the Internet because I've been instructed in no uncertain terms to order another bag! They both eat every last kibble (and they're both fussy) and were not pleased when their second bowls today had to be something else because we've run out of Orijen.

So yes, I can recommend it...!

7. helz

helz PetForums VIP

I use origen.

I like the fact it does not contain any grains, although, its not as good as it sounds, because it does contain other things to buffer it out.

Cats seem to like it though.:)

8. Cats Slave

Cats Slave PetForums Member

We've also read good things so ordered a couple of small bags from zoo+ the other day. Kitts have royal canin down at the minute but they don't seem too fussed on it.

9. bee112

bee112 PetForums VIP

Orijen gave Alfie & Lola the runs.. even when gradually mixed in :( they just couldnt take to it

10. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

Orijen isn't too bad for carbohydrate content, it's around 18% but that's still too high to be an appropriate diet for cats. Grau is another reasonable dried food with a high meat content and no wheat - it does contain rice though. zooplus sells both foods. All dried foods only contain 10% moisture though, as compared to wet foods that contain at least 75%. As cats have evolved to derive most of their fluid intake from their food, rather than by drinking, wet foods are far better for them on the whole.

11. helz

helz PetForums VIP

:(Oh dear... all that fibre in the fruit and veg. lol.

12. Toby & Darwin

Toby & Darwin PetForums Senior

I use it for all three of mine, but I have only just discovered tonight that it has a higher carbohydrate rate than I expected.
    It has a carb percentage as dry matter of approx 18% which is good in comparison to alot of others on the market but is still high for cats as I am led to believe they require virtually zero carbohydrate.

I will continue to use it for my cats though as their coats have never been so healthy looking and they absolutely love it.

13. Toby & Darwin

Toby & Darwin PetForums Senior

I was typing as you posted KozyKatz. :D

I did have a look at the Grau, but I am not too sure. It says it is suitable for cats and dogs and it just doesn't look like something my lot would eat.

14. LKelly

LKelly PetForums Junior

My colleague at work buys Orijen all the time now, she changed Mowgli (her cat) over to this a couple of months ago and says it's great, I haven't tried it yet but she had said it's really cheap from pet planet

15. Maryon Jeane

Maryon Jeane PetForums Newbie

Just popped back (as this is still obviously a live thread) to say that my two cats are still on Orijen and still enjoying it just as much.

I think we can all get too worried about carbohydrate amounts (for human diets as well as animal) - we simply don't seem to know enough yet about the different types of carbohydrates and what they do to mammals. I'm all for looking at what the end product is in terms of health (vitality, balance, appearance, etc.). In the diet I feed the humans in this family, as well as the diet I feed the cats, I make sure all of us are looking and feeling our best and fighting off infections, the 'diseases of ageing' and etc., and adjust what we eat and drink accordingly. So far, so good - and Orijen is still on the menu.

For the cats, I hasten to add, not us...!

16. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

I actually dont feed my cats on it but i do feed my dogs on it, my maltese had very bad colitis and i was recomended it for him and he is so much better, i was going to try my to cats on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice