UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some today because Kali fell over twice yesterday on the laminate. I've got vet beds scattered around but she always manages to slip on the bits between them. I put some paw wax on her and Marty because he tends to slide a bit and I washed the floor cleaner off with fairy liquid and bleach because I think the floor cleaner may add a shine.

At first the wax seemed to make it more slippery but now it's not as bad. Was wondering if it has to work into the pads before it works properly and I hope I haven't made the situation worse!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
does she have long fur between her paws? if so trim it, it really helps! Grey refused to walk on the laminate because he would slip all over the place, turns out his paw fur was too long and causing him to loose grip! now i keep it trimmed and hes fine and never slips :)

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I trimmed her pad fur last night Sid, these dogs have really long fur there don't they? She's been okay today, no falls but with her arthritis it really hurts her and honestly I could cry when she goes down like that. She's on a strict diet, supplements and pain relief and isn't limping as much. Funny thing is you'd expect her to limp after a fall and she doesn't :confused: she does in the morning though because she always lays on her bad side no matter how I try to stop her!

I've cut the vet beds in half C&D and done just as you said, sort of spaced them out a bit. Trouble is because I wash my vet beds a lot they're no longer non slip so I have to mop the floor and the rubber backing then put them down wet and they stick again. No hassle and safe for Kali but I wish washing them didn't affect the backing, although they're all a couple of years old - got them for Flynns first hip replacement recovery!

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Not paw wax, but there's some stuff that comes in a spray can, you spray it on the pads and it makes them feel like the sticky on post-it notes. The person who showed it to me said it was mainly used in showing, but she was using it for agility, and recommended it strongly.

Haven't a clue what it's called.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think we used to use something like that for our old girl Bess, she was 16 and found it difficult walking on the tiles, especially when she was in a playful mood and would slip and slide everywhere lol

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
I used to use it for the show ring but found it didn't really help.

At a show one day someone told me to put a bit of coke into a dish and dip the dogs paws into it. They said it works just as well/ I remembered this at a show and tried it it did seem to help more than the paw wax.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coke? Flynn would kill for a drink of coke, lol - he'll be following her everywhere to get his 'fix' do anything for a saucer of coke that boy. Worth a try and I'll google the spray stuff too. Can't bear her falling over - none so far today, touch wood! ;)

Thanks for the tips, shame if the wax doesn't work, got caught in traffic getting that today! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
Coke? Flynn would kill for a drink of coke, lol - he'll be following her everywhere to get his 'fix' do anything for a saucer of coke that boy. Worth a try and I'll google the spray stuff too. Can't bear her falling over - none so far today, touch wood! ;)

Thanks for the tips, shame if the wax doesn't work, got caught in traffic getting that today! :rolleyes:
We all used a dab of Coke on courses if the hall floor was slippery 30 odd years ago and it does work better than wax. Not sure I'd want to use it every day though.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I have never found paw wax that useful- it is quite inconvenient to apply it topically to each foot on a regular basis as well. What we did was buy about twenty door mats (shop assistant must have thought I was mad!) and then laid them out in the areas that the dogs would walk. Our entire downstairs is either wooden floor with rugs or tiled.

It looks a bit rubbish and I suppose it isn't for everyone but it's a more fail-safe and permanent solution if you have a dog that is struggling. It has been invaluable for our oldies and when one of mine had cancer that affected his muscle strength.
You can get mats from IKEA for 60p- though at the time I bought them from a different shop for £2.50 each!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.