UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use wax coats for their dogs?

Do they get very heavy when wet? and how long do they usually take to dry?

·
Registered
162 Posts
One of my friends had one for her old gsd, when he died she used it for her rottie so it must of been in use for a good few yrs and as far as I know it never absorbed water. She did reproof it a few times but she always said it was one of the best things she ever bought.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
No...but I have one for myself :) so just in case it helps... whilst it's heavy to start with, I don't think it gets heavier during the rain. It doesn't take ages to dry out either, but you can't really dry them on top of a heat source, like a radiator, which I supposed means it takes longer than some stuff?
Naomi x

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Willow has a wax coat or would have if I could remember were I put it when he last wore it :D:D Once it is wet it doesn't get any heavier as the water runs of it. It isn't too heavy but then again it is only a 17" whippet coat so not very big I would imagine a bigger coat would get quite heavy.

I just throw it over the banister rail along with all the other wet dog coats it doesn't really take any longer than the padded waterproof coats to dry. With the padded jackets I will put them on the floor infront of the wood burner to light but not Willow's wax jacket I let that dry naturaly away from a direct heat source.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I'll be able to tell you what wax coats for large dogs are like soon. I ordered one a while ago and the postman attempted to deliver it today, but I was out...so when I collect it from the delivery office on Monday I'll let you know!!

G

·
Stan has one, it isn't a heavy one and doesn't absorb water the rain just runs off, they are my favourite type of coat for both my dogs and me!

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Stan has one, it isn't a heavy one and doesn't absorb water the rain just runs off, they are my favourite type of coat for both my dogs and me!
Why do I find the idea of teeny dogs in wax jackets so cute? :eek:.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be able to tell you what wax coats for large dogs are like soon. I ordered one a while ago and the postman attempted to deliver it today, but I was out...so when I collect it from the delivery office on Monday I'll let you know!!
OOo which one have you gone for?

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
OOo which one have you gone for?
A Forest Fleeces one - saw a dog in one and had them recommended to me. The lady was helpful and sent samples of all the wax cottons and fleece linings that they do as I dithered over colours!! They are not cheap at all but the one I saw was beautifully made and had been going strong for years; Kilo shouldn't do sufficient growing now to grow out of anything else so hopefully this will last him for many years.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been looking at the forest fleece ones but need clips for my 2 as velcro doesn't hold up for long.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I've been looking at the forest fleece ones but need clips for my 2 as velcro doesn't hold up for long.
Perhaps you could adapt them or ask the lady who makes them to? I have gone for the sewn neck so that there is no velcro there, just the waist band. Is it the amount of shedding that dals do that means the velcro doesn't last for your two?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are just so active on their walks that velcro comes undone too easily, I have to keep grabbing them to do it back up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
They are just so active on their walks that velcro comes undone too easily, I have to keep grabbing them to do it back up. :rolleyes:
I see; Kilo only has his on for slow lead walks; anything else he's nakid :eek:.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 2 are wusses and won't get out the car if it's raining :lol:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
My 2 are wusses and won't get out the car if it's raining :lol:
I should think not; their spots might run :p.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe that's the problem with Darcey's coat, she hasn't been out in the rain enough :lol:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Maybe that's the problem with Darcey's coat, she hasn't been out in the rain enough :lol:
Or too much and the spots all ran into each other :eek:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.