Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone tried Smilla?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Colette, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I recently ordered form Zooplus for the first time (TOTW dog food, dog chews, and cat litter) and was really pleased with the prices and service. I'm already looking to see what else I can try, next time mum and I need to order.

So far I'm planning to try some Animonda Carny (gutted that the adult fish menu is not complete though) and Bozita.

I also looked at Smilla. Both the poultry and the fish varieties are complete, have high meat content, grain free etc. and very cheap to boot. Just wondered if anyone has tried it or if someone can at least give me an opinion - Hobbs maybe lol?

Great Bargains at Smilla Canned Cat Food at zooplus

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Lol! Are you implying by some chance that I am opinionated? :D

We tried it a while ago. It seems to have a good meat content for the price (£0.21 per 100g for 400 g tin at zooplus). The poultry has a 60% declared meat content (well meat and animal by-products but they don't say how much of each and what they are using. I am sad, I even looked at their website but wasn't any the wiser afterwards).

It is a bit like Animonda Carny. I would say that Animonda Carny, Smilla and Bozita are about the same quality food. Which bozita were you going to get? The tetrapacks or the tins? Carny, Smilla and Bozita tins are pate - the tetrapacks are chunks.

Unfortunately, ours didn't eat.

#2 hobbs2004, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Ive tried it and the cats (well the ones that eat pate) liked it very much! However as a few of mine wont touch pate meat i couldnt justify re-ordering as it would be too much of a juggle at meal times.

4. Tje

Tje Banned

I’ve tried it Smilla (well the furries have, lol) and they’re not really that struck on the heavy pate type foods. I felt it was a bit like Grau. They preferred it to Grau. I definitely find it is excellent value for money. What I did like about it was the smell… not cat-foody at all. I had a very skinny foster cat a few weeks back and she adored it... mashed up with a fork and a bit of hot water... she was licking her chops in anticipation.

5. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I didn't realise it was pate - that's even better for me.

When I started feeding decent wet I noticed the boys preferred the pates (HiLife petit pate and NM) over the chunkier types (eg the hilife 60% or the crappy whiskas kitten pouches).

Saying that, I did give them a tin of Encore last week which they wolfed down, but I don't want them to get too keen on shredded real food types as they are rarely complete.

Hadn't really decided on the Bozita, I had thought of getting either the tins or the reindeer pate tetra. But I would be tempted to try the chunks too.

Not opinionated Hobbs - just trust your opinion as you seem to know what you're talking about and have researched and / or tried just about every food I've ever heard of and then some.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Tje - Grau, that's a good one. Ok, it contains 4% wholegrain rice but otherwise it is one of the only foods left that has meat from one animal. So the beef only contains beef, the lamb only lamb etc (the only exception being tuna - that contains tuna and beef I think).

It is a good price too I think and 89% declared meat content. As long as your cat isn't allergic to rice then I would not be put off by the small rice content.

It is a dense pate and a normal sized cat only needs about 200g a day; so quite economical.

Lol - Phew! I know, we have looked at or tried most of the medium to high end cat foods. I have just discovered a new on in Germany that I will try. Not quite sure why as I make my own or buy minces but what the heck :lol:

#6 hobbs2004, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. Tje

Tje Banned

Hobbs, what about that one we once discussed... REAL NATURE?

that was Grau like / Smilla like, and it was also very cheap (but I buy my cat food in Germany so have no idea what's available in the UK, or what they cost there)

^^^^ Ignore this.. REAL NATURE isn't available in the UK... it's the house brand of a big German Pet Shop chain.

#7 Tje, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Petnatur?.........

9. billyboysmammy

have any of you guys tried schesir?

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yup - not bad but not enough fat. Unfortunately Millie was addicted to that food and wouldn't even allow me to add any fat. So I had to wean her off that, which was a right nightmare.

60% meat though and looks to be complete (despite the shockingly low fat content).

Now, don't get me started on the stupid packaging! Each little tin has got its own cardboard sleeve!! What the heck!!!!

11. Tje

Tje Banned

wanna talk about the little circular paper chain selotaped on to the top of every single tin of porta 21? lol

I was thinking of saving them and making Christmas decorations with them!

12. billyboysmammy

lol not sure whether to chance it then! I dont wanna get them onto something that addictive!

still... like you say, it looks good despite the fat (duck fat ready in the fridge anyway), and i can recycle the packaging at least!

13. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

Smilla (the poultry one) went down well with Loki for the first week or so, then he got tired of it and didn't want to touch it, so I had to alternate it with Animonda Carny and Bozita tetrapaks. It's a decent quality pate type food, so if your cats like pate, they should be pleased with it. My cat has just recently decided that he's more of a chunks guy than a pate guy. Well, if that's what he likes, so be it :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice