Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

anyone tried salmon and potato dry dog food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lerbo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

My dog has problems with diarrhea and is currently on purina HA dry salmon and potato food. He his highly allergic to chicken.
    He used to be on wafcol salmon and potato dry food.
    I add some tinned salmon to his dry mix as he will not eat dry on its own, but just read that tinned fish is not good to give dogs as it contains high levels of histamines which can upset them.
    It is confusing!

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Oh no i give mine tinned sardines and mackral dint know they shouldnt have it

#2 haeveymolly, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

I read this on Arden Grange website! Look at the pet health and nutrition guide bit....

#3 lerbo, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine have had the Arden Grange sensitive, which is fish.

They really liked it, and did well on it.

Mine get tinned sardines a couple of times a week, id like to see some statistics or evidence that it causes problems. Im never convinced by what some petfood companies say.

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ime sure its ok, i did read on at one time that tinned sardines, mackeral omega oil was good for them for them suppose they have other benefits as well

6. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

I agree, every time I read something it contradicts something else depending on the company!

All so confusing. I am sure if your dog(s) are doing well on a food then it must be fine... I'd love to find something that Cody could eat and actually like!!!

Thanks all

7. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Eeek, I give two tins of sardines every week. I've never heard that before so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

The salmon and potato flavour seems to be good for dogs with alergies, but watch out for the fishy breath and burps!!

To throw another spanner in the works, I'm sure I read somewhere that potato isn't great for dogs (don't quote me on that).... it is TOO confusing, why would pet food co's use it if that was the case?

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My dogs have wainwrights (PAH) salmon & potato kibble and do really well on it. No toxic wind, firm poops and shiny coats :D I have discovered that they don't do so well on poultry based food, results in wind and soft poop :(

I give my dogs tinned sardines/mackeral too. I have heard that some fish contain mercury due to pollution but not about the histamines.NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Consumer Guide to Mercury in Fish

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've heard that potato isn't very well digested by some dogs. I feed skinners salmon and rice now (I fed their duck and rice until recently, but the salmon seems to be better and has glucosamine added), often mixed with tinned fish (pilchards or sardines). When we travel to agility competions Zig gets a small tin of asda smart price sardines in tomato sauce twice a day with her kibble! She does very well on it with no ill effects.
    If your dog is OK with rice, the skinners could be worth looking at. £25 for 15 kilos. CSJ do a salmon variety too that has a good reputation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice