Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

anyone tried ORIJEN?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by harmeetjohal, Aug 13, 2009.

1. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

hi, has anyone used this food brand... they claim ORIJEN Puppy Food contains at least 70% meat
    seems really good... does anyone on here use it?

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

yeah its terrific, I put both of mine on it a month or two ago. My older was prescribed Hills Science which - dried his coat to to dust, greyed his eyes, kept him in his basket not moving. I changed to this and within a week he was more spritely, his coat has now got a brilliant sheen and his eyes are clear white, hes actually enjoying his food again.
    My pups only 6 months and I waited until about this time as there are rhumors about them growing to quickly causing problems later - well he was 17" high so I changed him onto it. Again superb results.... I would have thought hed have more energy or have daft running around spurts but he hasnt. Its just a good solid food. You have to be careful how much you feed them - that is all id say, pup gets a measured 220g. Senior gets 180g - and hes not increased in weight (which is what we want)

what would you like to know?

#2 james1, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  3. harmeetjohal

im looking for this for my 10 month old leonberger, we have also tried science plan again with them same results.... he loved the food but im not sure about it.... he is alot smaller then he should be, am hoping to find something to help him grow with out him bouncing of the walls....
    i was tghinking about mixing it with other brand, but is it ok by itself?

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Its fine by itself, Ive had no change in behaviour whatsoever, the only problem is the price, hes a large breed and from what i hear are very food motivated. So he could go through quite a lot of it. This stuff should definitely give him the full stomach feeling and the energy he needs.
    Id feed him the lowest amount for large breed feeding sizes and then see how he goes from there. Their site has loads of info.
    Burns are a good brand if you want to put a mixer in there to bulk up the portions. Orijen is grain free just meat and veg - Burns uses high quality digestable grains my pup was on this and I can tell you - its a very good kibble. It may make it stretch further ;)

sorry just edited my first post as there were a few spelling errors ;)

5. harmeetjohal

yeh was thinking of mixing with Wainwrights or AG....
    were do you by from?

6. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I use mums and pets as they are UK, though...... hate to mention them but it will work out very good for you - zooplus - they are having a very good offer on 2 of the same brand something like £79 which is a bargin. Its only because im buying a puppy and a senior kibble that ive not used them - im paying £90. There is no chance he wont like it so take advantage while you can. The only thing is they are a german company I do try to use British but hey ....... zoo's is a fantastic offer - Id get them in now before it ends personally lol :D

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

you can buy AG very cheaply from Berriewoods i think it is - it may be the mixer to compensate for the higher priced Orijen - and its got a lot of supporters on here ;)

8. harmeetjohal

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

your joking!!!!!!!!!!???????
    Ive definitely got to try them thanks for the feedback, it was either them or mumsnpets as i had a bed exp with gjwtitmuss. How much did you pay then?

Cheers

10. harmeetjohal

i paid 86.90 plus postage, which is the same offer a zoo.... tell her i recommended you if you buy from her... :)

11. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

thats a good offer its good to have a site you can trust. Try to seal the bag with tape after each use, freshness is key with this stuff - I pour some into an airtight container and use that, but this might be harder with large breed quantities:)
    Hope she picks up soon - no doubt she will:D

12. harmeetjohal

she is a he...lol
    thanks for that tho, its a good tip.... and thanks for your help with this
    now i need to source a large airtight container :)

13. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Remember to introduce it graudally over a week or so - it will stop any runns. The air tight thing might not work for the amounts youll be giving HIM! :eek: lol but it saves you having to keep opening the bag up, as i say - it keeps the freshness in (Orijen are highly regulated by Canadian law so it a premium food and a premium price that you might as well get the best out of)
    I cut the corner off the bag then tape it back up once ive poured out what I need.
    There are a few others on here that feed it but it look like im the only one around at the mo :D
    It would be nice to find out how hes getting on with it :)

14. harmeetjohal

will do... thank you, need to buy another bag of wainwrights.... i have spent more on Simba this week then i have on myself....

15. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

hi i havent reead all the posts as im on my mobile....

We feed Kya Orijen we mix it with nature diet...... We used to feed her Nutro but read a few dodgy reviews and she wasnt eating proberly enough for any owner to wanna change their dogs food...

I swear by it and she loves it gr8 coat exellent energy levels.. Also i has notice quite a big diff in her codition im her muslces seem in bettter codition to but she is still growing so that cud have effect....

16. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've fed Orijen to my pair for the last year and they are doing fantastic on it. I only feed Orijen as I don't really see the need to mix anything else in, it's a complete food and I would hate to upset the balance by putting in other foods. I was ordering mine from zooplus but they've started mucking my orders up so I'm going to be ordering from Orijen U.k. in the future.

Terri

17. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

ive just got my order from mums and pets, it arrived the next day and they are pretty much the cheapest in the uk

18. iibao

iibao PetForums Junior

My dogs did well on it.
    Make sure you get the large puppy one.

19. harmeetjohal

HELP....
    we started simba on this on friday, seemed to be doing well on it....he only on a 25% mix with his current food.
    but on monday he was being sick and his poo was spraying out, like from a hose.... was really bad... this happened for a good few hours
    didnt feed him much the nxt day so he could rest his tummy, still on a 25% mix, and he still has runny poo... but as bad, but still runny...
    is this normal? and would this be the food? he was playing with a few slugs in the garden on monday.... could it be that?

20. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I have an older (11 yrs) and a younger (6mths) that ive moved onto it and ive not had this reaction at all. The times do seem very close together but id think if it didnt agree with him he'd have been sick either immediate or the day after? Im all worried now as I recommended it so much. I cant honestly reason why it would have a reaction like this at all.
    Id personally stay with the levels you are feeding, its a good amount and one the body should be able to take.
    Maybe some of the others could shed some light - ill pm them and mention the thread :cool:

thinking about it there may have been some usual runny poos at first but these died off after a day or two, it wasnt spraying out of them. Did you exercise them after feeding at all?

#20 james1, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice