Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone throw any light on this?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kinjilabs, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

My neigbours dog is a lurcher, they have had her since a pup and she's been fine on walks. she's now 3 yrs old and when the neighbours father takes her out to the fields she 's started to run home:eek: he's walked her many many times with no problems but now ever so often she just does a runner! its been very worrying as the man is in his 80's very active but obviously cant run after a lurcher so now has to keep her on lead:(

So why all of a sudden should she just run home? she's never had a bad experience there, I saw her this morning and Bertie was raring to play with her as they used to always play and she looked terrified:confused::confused:

Any idea's?

2. chissy 15

chissy 15 PetForums VIP

I would say something is amiss! Maybe something has happened that has just not registered as a concern to humans but obviously to the lurcher :confused: Couldn't hazard a guess what, maybe owners rack brains to think what might of happened? Can't think what else it could be unless something is wanting to keep the dog at home for some reason,again some sort of change? However slight?

3. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

I imagine something has scared her on a walk recently; Breeze has been known to try and run home on winter walks if she's been frightened in a certain place. She does this more when she's out with mum than if she's with me apparently, does the Lurcher only try to bolt home when she's with the older gentleman?

Poor girl :(

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yes its only when out with the older man:confused::confused:

5. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Any chance he's ever yelled at her or even given her a smack?

Or maybe she doesn't feel safe with him?

Is it possible he holds the lead too tightly? If it only ever happens when this one person walks her then maybe someone in their family needs to follow and watch what is happening.

6. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

She's never shown any worries about being with him before, she knows him well as he lives next door to people who own her and their gardens are open to each other so she's been with both parties since a pup:confused::confused:

7. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Lurchers are quite skittish and a tiny thing can set their fear off. Could she have been stung by a wasp or nettles when walking with him and he's not noticed? Or a loud noise such as a bird scarer or car backfiring could have scared her. He could have accidentally trodden on her toe, it really could be something that small :(

8. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

It could literally be anything!

I know someone I used to meet on walks who's dog was absolutely fine for years until she suddenly heard a loud sound she had never heard before and bolted home. Now she has to be kept on lead as he will freak out at random times and just bolt.

Something could of scared her in the home? Maybe the man stumbled or dropped something near her which spooked her? Maybe something has changed at home? Maybe she has something wrong medically? Who knows? Have you asked about her?

9. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

They cant think of anything thats scared her, only one thing they can think of is she used to play there with a dog that has suddenly passedaway:eek:

10. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I seriously doubt it because a dog she knew who played their died unless he died a violent death there in front of her.

She could have caught a thorn or been stung and no one noticed at the time. Lurchers really are wimps and so easily scared they may never know. Instead of focussing on the why, because that will probably never be resolved, they need to focus on rebuilding positive associations with the man. In the mean time he shouldn't walk her alone as this will probably exacerbate the fear.

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Are there any shoots nearby? I've noticed with Flynn that he's become reluctant to go for walks some days and the only difference that I can make out is we see lots of shot pigeons lying around, sometimes just heaps of the remaining bits left by wild life. He doesn't want to go out if the guns are going off now but it never used to bother him, so I wondered if maybe she too hears guns in the distance and gets spooked.

Its horrible when they get scared and you can't put your finger on why but if she were mine I wouldn't let the old guy take her out because she must still be scared with him but just can't run away. :( Shame for him though, he must feel pretty bad about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice