Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone thinking of going abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Anyone thinking of having a holiday aboard, if so remember at the moment if you get Covid 19 while your on holiday your insurance will not cover you, as the government are still advising not to travel.

kimthecat likes this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

God no I hate flying at the best of time without adding a virus to the recycled air in the tin can.

Mum2Heidi, rona and Happy Paws2 like this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'm not even going into shops or even the bank, I wouldn't set foot on a bus or train, so I can't imagine me sitting on a plane, even to go to Scotland

4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Nope, I won't be going abroad any time soon either. I prefer holidays in this country because Holly can come with us. We call them our HOLLYdays.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Brilliant! I would be in big trouble if I holidayed without boxers.

6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

i have enough trouble getting dog sitters for day long hospital trips
    so to go away on even a long weekend in THIS country
    would be impossible
    not only that, but, isolating is still a thing for us

7. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Definitely not. The only place I want to go is to my Dad's, and to see the in-laws, and to see my sister. Abroad can wait!

Mum2Heidi, rona and Happy Paws2 like this.
  8. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

I will be traveling to USA in September. No real concerns about the trip but will of course adhere to any quarantine procedures upon my return.

kimthecat and rona like this.
  9. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Nope flight free for environmental reasons and this only makes me glad I am. That said if being related to a great aunt in New Zealand meant I could live there forever, I’m off.

LinznMilly, Mum2Heidi and rona like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

No way.

I prefer holidaying in UK anyway and Jack comes with us.

I only fly to visit my sister and neither of us will risk it until it’s deemed safe both ends and in between as no longer able to fly direct (thanks TUI :rolleyes:).

MollySmith and Mum2Heidi like this.
  11. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

I've already put down deposits for voluntary work in Peru and South Africa, Just need to get e-mailing to know when It's likely I can travel out, as ideally I'd like to go as soon as I can.

kimthecat likes this.
  12. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

No plans here! Mind you, even without Covid we had no plans to go anywhere - it's impossible given Oscar and how we have to pill him with four tablets each morning and it takes the two of us to do it :) My Mum and Nan are an 11 hour round trip away - and I can't stay overnight to see them - that's the only place I will be going anytime soon. Maybe in August on my annual leave I will pop up. I generally leave here about 4am, have a few hours there and then leave them about 7pm, getting home very early hours.

I feel weird enough about potentially going to a pub/restaurant let alone sitting in a plane for hours!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

And me, no way are we going anywhere near a pub or cafe for the foreseeable future and beyond.

14. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

The things I really want to do aren't available to me yet but the moment they are I'd take the risk. If a 'new normal' doesn't include the things I love then it isn't living.

15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I wouldnt mind going abroad in the future but OH would have to stay at home to look after the dogs.

Im not sure if its more difficult or more expensive to get insurance when you travel abroad if you've had cancer .

16. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

No plans to travel abroad.

At the moment, can only go 5 miles :rolleyes: you'd be surprised how far away everything is here, 5 miles is nothing.

We're thinking next year going to France but not in any rush to book. When allowed to go further and I feel safe I plan to stay at our flat in London, will decide from there if I visit local places or go into town but that'll mean public transport.

Dh has kept his holiday booking dates for July so will be going to Pembrokeshire for a few days.

kimthecat likes this.
  17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It is ridiculously expensive, I was quoted a four figure sum by one of the companies on a list supplied by the Maggie's Centre of all people. But, depending on your type of cancer and your aversion to risk, you can have insurance that excludes anything related to it. So, I'm not covered for anything related to breast cancer but that's fine for me.

The biggest risk in that respect would be if I booked a holiday now for, say, next winter and something happened in the meantime. But since our holidays are in the motorhome and therefore not booked months in advance, it isn't so much of an issue.

I found the best deal for us is having a Flexiplus account with the Nationwide. It costs about £13 a month but you get interest on the money in the account so the most you would pay is £156, but in fact you would likely pay less. It covers holiday insurance for both of us. Supplements apply for over 70 I think, pre-existing conditions and extended trips but they aren't crazy. And, you also get breakdown cover for your vehicles, including abroad which again is good for us. There are other benefits too, I can't remember what the current list includes.

kimthecat likes this.
  18. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Thanks, Joanne. Thats very useful info ! :)

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice