Anyone spending Xmas alone ?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Brambles the cat, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

First of all sorry for the depressing cat chat .I was just wondering how many people are having Xmas alone with there furry friends .or what ideas they have for being alone on Xmas .

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I am but am looking forward to it ....sort of. I spent last Christmas on my own & loved it, me & the dogs went to the beach for a few hours as the weather was beautiful, then came home, all had Christmas dinner (cats included), watched a bit of telly, had cuddles, I had a few drinks, the dogs & cats had some treats & it was such a nice day.

Hope to do the same again this year but it will be a bit sadder this year as I had to have my old dog PTS last January. As this will be my first Christmas without him it will be difficult.

WillowT likes this.
  3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I'm working all over xmas on night shifts.

Tigermoon likes this.
  4. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

I'm sorry about your old boy @Cleo38 :(

Your day sounds absolutely perfect to me, unlikely I would be so fortunate (I'm getting more and more antisocial by the day!) but I hope to be home quite early to have cuddles on my own with the furries!

Calvine and Cleo38 like this.
  5. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip PetForums VIP

Wish!!! No such luck...all family, children, stepchildren, their OHs, and children, my sister in law, her children, their partners, plus parents, all trooping in into my tiny flat...
    So count your blessings folks!!!

( You can invite me.... ;) it would be act of Christmas kindness... I have nightmares already)...

ExD, Tigermoon, Matrod and 6 others like this.
  6. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

It’s just hubby and I. I do wish we had family closer to spend the day with as it can feel a little lonely. My ideal would be to have people over jut for the day as I struggle a bit with house guests staying for more than a couple of days!

Ali71 and Gwen9244 like this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

It was perfect, am so antisocial now so although it was nice to get offers from friends I actually enjoyed being on my own with the animals.

Gwen9244, Lurcherlad, Matrod and 2 others like this.
  8. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Its just me and the OH and its a relief to be on our own for one day, We don't have any family so there's no one to offend. If I had to entertain like some of you I would worry myself silly which would spoil it completely.. Toppy and Bunty will enjoy the day in their way, especially Bunty as there'll be no delivery men or doorbells ringing to upset her.

Talig, cheekyscrip, Gwen9244 and 2 others like this.
  9. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

I used to do the big thing but scaled back to the point where I don’t put up decs. I go to work does and meet friends for drinks but quite happily could stay home alone. I can see me in the future battened down with the mogs and a glass of port when I retire. X

10. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

I am.

Oh is going to her mums and someone has to babysit the fluffmonsters. I could take them to my mums, Tali would be fine with it but Ash will only have been home a little while so I dont want to uproot them for a few days.

And i dont fancy 4 hours of driving on christmas day either so going round for lunch is out.

Will probably sit on my ps4 all day lol

11. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

My friend's daughter invited me to go to her house via my friend but was told 'no, she's not good with loads of people.' So she's going to cook me a full dinner and send it round! So I've got the best of both worlds. A full dinner, no cooking, and no hassle!

12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

I have for a few years booked into a hotel. It started when the building work was going on and it’s unbelievably quiet and relaxing. Never thought I would ever do it and of course I am only a few miles away to come back to feed the mogs.

Last year my sister invited one of her teacher friends complete with teenagers to stay over. I couldn’t stand the expartner bashing and general lovey stuff. The pontificating about how bad her life was had me biting my tongue. Anyway hope everyone isn’t getting too stressed about it and remember most of us will be popping in during 5he day x

Gwen9244 likes this.
  13. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

I don't suppose she could send me one round aswell lol?

14. Miss Saffy

Miss Saffy PetForums Junior

I'm going to be spending xmas eve and that night alone; to me those are always more lonely than actually spending Christmas alone! I know it's cliched, but I would recommend a good book or a guilty-pleasure film.

cheekyscrip and Gwen9244 like this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Hahahahaha! Thank you; that really made me laugh out loud!

cheekyscrip and Gwen9244 like this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Same here; means you can't even have a drink while everyone else is rat-arsed.Tsk!

Gwen9244 likes this.
  17. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I hope I don’t offend anyone but gosh I wish.

Houseful for days on end, tension, arguments, late nights, too much alcohol, relatives who don’t get on at all. Simply cannot wait til it’s over!!!

I hate it. The cats hate it. I just can’t get out of it.

One day I will have a really peaceful quiet one. Wake up when I’m ready...PJs all day. Opening our SSs!!!! A bit of Cat Chat!!! Maybe a short walk to the village (still in PJs) Smoked salmon for dinner. Party games for the HBs! And snuggling on the sofa watching the Eastenders Christmas Special consuming far too many selection boxes and a bottle of cotes de Provence pink!!

Oh and it will snow lol!!

Ali71, bluecordelia, Gwen9244 and 7 others like this.
  18. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

I usually spend Christmas alone, my other half works as it pays so well, I don't have a lot of family and those I do have usually choose to travel at this time of the year. This year though, my brother has invited me to his house and while I'm grateful and I think it's really kind, spending Christmas with a lot of people, a 90 minute drive away isn't really ideal for me. TBH I love spending Christmas alone. I'm the host all year so I like to be selfish on Christmas and spend it how I like. That usually means a long walk with the dogs somewhere remote where I can guarantee I'll see no-one, ordering in super unhealthy food from whatever carry out place is open and watching as many Christmas movies as I can fit in cuddled up with all the animals on the couch. It's bliss :D

Talig, bluecordelia, Gwen9244 and 2 others like this.
  19. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I'm not this year, but I have done in the past. It was in the days before I got the cats and it varied between sitting slumped one year pretending it was just another day, to having the most lovely day driving across Snowdonia with snow capped mountains, singing to The Nation's Favourite Carol, and coming home to lots of food and wine. I also had a good lone Xmas one year when I was doing night shifts. They let us off at 4am instead of six, and I came home and ate pigs in blankets on the sofa under a duvet, watching films with fairy lights and candles everywhere.

Some years I've partied every weekend in December then gladly spent Xmas Day alone....so it goes on.

I've also had disasters. In 2006 I sat with a beloved Aunt while she died on Xmas Day, then in 2013 I stayed with a friend and his mum in Manchester and had a great time till we found her dead in bed the day after Boxing Day.

I think in all honesty it's what you make it. If you are single and have no parents surviving I think there is pressure to try and be included in someone else's Xmas, and I used to feel this keenly. It's like when I was younger I thought if I didn't have somewhere to go for Xmas I was a social failure, and I would even lie to people about it. Something about turning forty a couple of years ago shifted this mindset and now I can take it or leave it. Bugger the pressure to be perfect and do what makes you happiest.

Ali71, Talig, Gwen9244 and 2 others like this.
  20. BCKathleen

BCKathleen PetForums Newbie