Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone out there do bunny showjumping??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by wild horses, Apr 16, 2011.

1. wild horses

wild horses PetForums Newbie

i saw youtube clips of bunny showjumping and was amazed. I showjump horses, and the first thing i thought was "wow this is a cheaper, and easier way of doing the sport!" was so cute to!

haha and as the human your not having to wear all the expensive and uncomforatable gear. or trust the animal underneath you to get you over safe.

Dont get me wrong i will not be giving up jmping horse until im much much older, because i love the adrenaline and everything about horse riding

but this did catch my attention as something id give a go one day

can anyone tell me more about it??

2. Sounds like a case for the RSPCA to me! I am far far far too heavy for the average bunny to carry!:D

3. wild horses

wild horses PetForums Newbie

LOL def a case for RSPCA i think it wud be bunny pankcake if i tryed to ride one over a jump maybe i cud double jump it by carrying it on my horse though...in a back pack or something??

4. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I know there one person on here how does bunny show jumping but she doesn't come on very often. I'll see if I can get hold of her to come on and tell you more about it. She's a friend of a friend.

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

6. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

i know a few who do it too, they tend to hang out on bunny exclusive forums, theres a couple on mine and bernies forum :lol:

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

would love to give this a try but I dont think I can teach an old rabbit new tricks? and I havnt got any nice soft grass to practice on

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

L O L - comedy gold :lol: :lol:

To o/p - I saw it on Britains got talent last year - it looked so much fun!

Hope you get the information you're looking for :D

Em
    xx

9. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

that would be demi & harley, demi runs the site bernie linked to ;)

10. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

The person who was on BGT is a member of Golden Bunnies and Rabbits United forum :)

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Personally I'd stick to jumping horses and enjoy a pair of bunnies as pets :)

12. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Awww :eek: That's lovely too!

I just love it when people take an interest in their hoppers instead of just sticking them outside and having them on a back burner to dogs and cats :mad:

My Woof bunny is a hopping cat to me :lol: I'd be thumped out for ours if he wasn't allowed to come on and off the sofa when he wants too :lol:

Just my reason for thinking it's not a bad idea :D (though I'd honestly bow down to your bunny knowledge :eek: )

xxxx

13. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

bunny jumping is actually a great way to bond with your rabbit and to excersize them, if a rabbit doesnt want to jump, you cant make them, i keep meaning to try some of mine over jumps, purely for something for them to do, not to drag them round shows though :lol:

14. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:D That's what I meant! It's something you can do together and such :thumbup:

Em
    xx

15. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Lol crikey you dont need to bow down to me!! lol

I know some bunnies are quite happy doing it just not keen on them being taken to shows and a lot of people forcing them to jump, think some people can be a little cruel. I much prefer spending time with buns outside, they are the kind of animals like are happier doing their own thing :) you can teach them to do otherstuff and train them...

YouTube - More tricks from Winston and angel :D

16. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Ahh yeah - I'd never take a hopper to a show, I don't think that's a bunny's style :lol:

Woofy isn't much of a jumper, but Roary (RIP) was and if i popped plant pots out on the side he'd jump over them and I just gave him a treat afterwards anyway :D xxxx

#16 Eroswoof, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  17. Demismith

Demismith PetForums Newbie

Hello, BGT, Golden Bunnies and RJUK person here, you can contact me through the site if you want any info :) New site - Login - Rabbit Jumping UK it's not fully done yet though

Crofty, there is no way to force a rabbit over jumps unless you pick them up and throw them over, if they don't want to do it then trust me they wont. Some people use treats as a reward but most rabbits just jump because they love it, they'll make it quite clear when they want to stop.

18. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Rubbish Ive seen enough youtube videos of people nudging rabbits with their feet or kicking them to make them jump, swinging them round on harness' to see it can be abused.

I've nothing against people doing it where the rabbit is happy.

#18 crofty, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  19. Demismith

Demismith PetForums Newbie

I know it can look like nudging when it's actually not, but if they really are kicking the rabbits over I would like to see the video's (if you could find them again), send them a strongly worded message and if they're local make sure they are never a part of Rabbit Jumping UK

If you see the Swedish rabbits in competition, they jump the highest and fastest of any rabbit and I've never seen one nudged or pulled by the harness

20. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I'm not trawling through youtube looking for them now, I have seen several posted, many are people at home having a go and getting frustrated with the buns, i dont like some of these buns on harness' being dragged around. I've also seen them on programs on TV with a loud audience terrified and not complying, very uncomfortable watching. There is this one that I think is not nice... this bunny does not want to jump

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyRabbitFlops#p/u/3/i8D3LRT0p7c

I am not completely against rabbit jumping but it does encourage alot of people that don't perhaps have the knowledge you do and results in a very stressed rabbit.

I'm always very impressed with the buns that do it without the harness. :)

#20 crofty, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice