Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone near Portsmouth?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Flissy, May 8, 2010.

1. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

There is a hamster needing a home due to his owner moving house and not being able to take him with her. I was going to take him but wouldn't be able to have him until the end of July so even if someone could hang onto him until then but didn't want to give him a forever home I could take him :)

2. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

I'm going down in 3 weeks for half term, but tht's probably too long. If it's not, let me know :p

3. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

What do you mean by too long? (it would probably make more sense to me if I wasn't feeling so dead after work lol :D)

Also when is your half term is it the beginning of june? :)

4. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I could foster until July. I used to have hammies but got so distressed having to have them PTS when they got old and sick that decided to stick to buns and cats as they generally live a lot longer.

Does he come with a cage? I do have one in my shed but it is probably very dirty by now.

I have a room the cats aren't allowed in where my other hammies used to live so he would be safe.

Happy to help - just let me know if you still need someone.

5. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Aww I know what you mean about them getting old so quickly... well luckily I haven't had to have any of mine PTS yet but I am dreading them leaving me :(

But if you could that would be extremely helpful - the girl is desperate as she has to move into a student house somewhere else and can't take him with her. But as I said I could pick him up after July if she can't find a closer home for him :)

I'm not sure about whether he comes with his cage or not but I'm guessing he will - I'll find out :)

6. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

If there is no cage I can dig out my old one. It's a reasonable size with multi-levels. I've had to have a few hammies PTS - usually with tumours. Others have died in their sleep which I prefer. I do miss having one but have eight cats and five buns (to be seven tomorrow:)) so have plenty of fur-babies to keep me busy.

I live in Havant so Portsmouth is fine for me to get to. I'm happy to foster the little one until you can give him his forever home. With so many animals one more isn't going to make much difference. Just another cage to muck out:) Hopefully, I won't get attached;)

7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I am actually IN Portsmouth (Milton/Southsea) but cannot take any animals in at the moment. However I do have suitable cages and accessories and would be willing to foster for a few days (no more!) but it really must be foster only or keeping for arranged pickup, if you are desperate due to issues with landlady.

8. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

I mean I'm in the Midlands and won't be travelling nearer to Portsmouth until 28th or 29th of May for the half term holidays. If they have to move before that, I can't help.

Not that I'm looking for a new syrian, but have room to look after one if necessary.

9. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I *think* she said she lives in Southsea but I could be wrong. But that is near enough to Portsmouth isn't it? I think she said she could travel to Portsmouth by bus :)

I would be very happy to give him a forever home just need to wait until I've had my holiday first :D

It would be about 3 weeks sadly as the girl leaves her house the end of June and I wouldn't be able to take the hamster until the end of July/beginning of August :(

They are moving the end of June :) If Lumpy can take him then I would be more than happy to give him a forever home - I'll ask the girl if she has found anyone yet :)

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Southsea is kind of IN Portsmouth and it's where I live. If it's not til the end of June then no problem, I can take the hammy in for as long as needed before you collect. I'm probably moving abut that time but if I can't then my friend who lives nearby and is a vet nurse could take the hammy instead.

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Ha! I travel down to Portsmouth once a month to meet up with friends, however I live about 90 min train journey north.

Don't have room for a hammy atm, as the spare 2 cages are at my OH's.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

Yes, Southsea is near Portsmouth and easy enough for me to get to as I drive.

If Merlin's Mum would like to foster hammy then that's fine. So long as he has a good home to go to until he gets his forever home that's all that matters. If for any reason things change MM and you can't do it, let me know and I will take him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice