Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone moved countries with their dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by decoratedlady08, Dec 30, 2011.

1. decoratedlady08

decoratedlady08 PetForums Member

Hi.
    Has anyone moved too Spain with their dogs. we are looking at moving back in June/July this year.
    Last time we lived there we didn't have the dogs and of course we aren't going too get rid of them so we can go. They are my boys and go where i go. :D
    I know we have to arrange passports which we will start too do at the end of January.
    But i was wondering if anyone knew the best way for them too travel there, via plane, ferry or euro tunnel..
    and if there is any possible health issues i need too look out for.. i will be researching for pet insurance in Spain as i don't think the one i have will be covered over there

2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

We moved to Germany in June with Rupert. We did the ferry from Ireland to England then I flew to Germany (I'm horribly car sick) while hubby drove with Rupert. They came across on the euro tunnel. Driving with him seemed the least stressful way as at least then Rupe was with someone he knew, could be let out for a pee and a leg stretch regularly etc.

Might want to look into cost for the flights, I've been told they're terribly expensive but didn't look into it myself.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've just moved to NZ with my dog, but there aren't many similarities to the process of moving to Spain so I don't think I'd be much help sorry! Good luck :)

4. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

When we have driven down to the South of France with our dog on holidays we use euro tunnel, it's fast about 35 mins. and you all stay in the car wouldn't go any other way, straight off the shuttel and on to the auto route brilliant.

5. Mrs White

Mrs White PetForums Member

We drove down in a campervan through the tunnel, down through France and then into Spain. This was about 5 years ago and there was no trouble getting my lad here whatsoever.

To be honest no official even looked at any of the mutt's documents on the way out of Britain, IIRC. Getting back would be where the passport etc is needed.

Where would you be moving to? The reason I ask is because provinces have their own regulations and laws about BSL etc and it's important to know what you're getting into. Good luck:thumbup1:

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I travelled with my previous dog and now with my current dog, to Greece and back every summer. We live in Cyprus though (not UK).
    We have travelled by plane and also by ship.

My current dog is small enough to travel in the cabin with me so we got by plane.

My previous dog was too heavy to go in the cabin so we preferred the ship so that he didn't have to be separated from us.

All vaccines have to be up to date, valid rabies rabies vaccine at least 4 weeks before travel, deworming and treatment for ectoparasites (fleas, ticks etc) 24-48 hours before travel.

Not the sure if the same applies between UK and Spain though!

7. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Due to emigrate sometime this year with Maya to the usa but same as kenzie, the rules are different but good luck :p

8. decoratedlady08

decoratedlady08 PetForums Member

Back too the Murcia region. As i like it there and i have kept all my friends as i go back every summer for 6 weeks. While OH looks after dogs and runs the shop lol xx

9. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

The euro pet passport from today (for most countries) requires a microchipped or 'permanently identified' pet to have been vaccinated at least 21 days before travel and to have had a specific tape worm treatment (given by a vet) between 1 and 5 days before entry. Flights would be via cargo and expensive - far better to travel with your pet through the tunnel or by ferry (short ferry pets stay in the car). There's a max number (I think 4 off hand) of pets that can travel with an individual without a 'permit' but I think there are exemptions for competitions, but it's to stop 'trafficking' of dogs. There are less checks on the mainland, but you should check any local requirements. Your vet will issue you with a pet passport. So much easier to travel with pets than it was yesterday! The same rules are for all 'eligible' countries - so coming from USA it is the same... pets will need the rabies vaccination in USA and in Europe. I'm sailing tomorrow to collect a pup :)

10. JonoBeagle

JonoBeagle PetForums Member

Did two country moves... Japan to France (easy, like UK now, wouldn't worry about it and officials see which country and just save you through, we weren't even charged the €5 we were meant to). Coming to the UK is the only time anything was checked and you just need to have a Vet check that they are wormed! No worming needed for going to Europe.

From a stress point of view and not knowing whether your dog likes boats, the Channel Tunnel is the best way to go. Ours likes boats and trains more than cars but the tunnel is quicker so easier on them if they need the toilet. Flying is very stressful but occasionally has to be done, but entering the UK they are treated like cargo. Hence why airlines that treat them as hand luggage (if small can be in the cabin) refuse to fly animals to the UK because they believe it to be cruel. Air France are the best for taking animals and cheap (although tickets are a bit pricier) but then they are great for any strange shaped/large items like skis, golf clubs, bikes, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice