anyone know why my praying mantis wont eat?

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Abbyb, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Abbyb

Abbyb PetForums Newbie

hi! i have had a pet mantis since two weeks after new year, so for a few months now. his name is tweek and hes a giant asian praying mantis and i think hes on his 6 or 7th shed by now. im worried that he isnt eating much recently as i havent seen him eating and there has been tons of crickets in his cage for a while. i know that they dont eat when they are going to shed for a few days but its been a week or two at least.

hes very full in colour and very energetic but he looks a bit empty. i tried pulling the legs off some crickets and then putting them in a tub with him to see how he would react. he got scared when i shoved them in his face, which is expected, and when i left them he would kind of ignore them or walk over them. its like hes lost his natural instinct to hunt!

if anyone knows what to do then please reply.

2. Isotonic

Isotonic PetForums Junior

I have a giant Asian praying mantis and you should only really leave them with one or two crickets at a time not to stress them out. If he looks empty them you can isolate him with a single one. Sometimes they can pray for days on food and not eat it. IF he wants to eat it then he will eat it.